View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
It IS relevant to the conversation as the elimination of the rule WOULD make this thread and subsequent discussion obsolete.
I disagree. The discussion is how we handle returning to our positions, not how we should do it if the rules were different.

Quote:
We enforce the rules in place. I'm pretty sure I've got that one down after 43 years of umpiring.
I wasn't being a SA, just commenting on why I thought it wasn't relevant.

Quote:
As noted by people other than myself, this rule was not meant to be "used" by anyone other than the umpire.
When the rule is violated, people know and expect us to enforce it. They don't sit back and say, "That's an obsolete rule anyway, I don't want you to call my opponent out."

Quote:
Maybe for the same reason that until a couple years ago, the rules did not allow a batter to attempt to advance to 1B on an U3K with two outs and 1B unoccupied.

Maybe for the same reason that ASA rules do not address a fair batted ball which lands (hits the ground) and deflects off a fielder and leaves play in fair territory.

People are apathetic and often just accept the status quo whether it makes sense or not.
That's definitely true!

Quote:
The ball is "live", not alive.
Brain cramp! Sometimes I type faster than I think.

Quote:
But because of this rule, nothing can happen. Runners cannot leave the base, so there is no reason to throw the ball, the ball cannot be pitched or hit, so what is so "live" about the ball other than to get umpires to argue over who said what about who is watching whom first and whether "backing" into position is acceptable at any level of the game!
I disagree that nothing can happen. I would agree that nothing 'should' happen. But, as Rachel pointed out, things do happen. Pitchers walk out of the circle. Pitchers put the ball on the ground to fix their hair without having time called. Runners step off bases. Things definitely do happen.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"