Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
Wouldn't that be a block ball?
Only if the ball was still in her hand, but that means the LBR would still be in effect. So, when R1 leaves the base to help the pitcher, make sure you call her out before dialing 9-1-1.
Quote:

They can advance, they just can't advance legally.
No, because the moment they step off the base they are out, if you are doing your job and enforcing the rules which are presently in place.

Quote:
My fear is that SP umpires won't call outs when they get drafted to work bases on my field and the LBR is violated.
You better watch out for the local Constable as s/he is sure to ticket you as it is becoming more obvious that much is going over your head and probably littering the countryside.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Only if the ball was still in her hand, but that means the LBR would still be in effect. So, when R1 leaves the base to help the pitcher, make sure you call her out before dialing 9-1-1.
No doubt!

Quote:
No, because the moment they step off the base they are out, if you are doing your job and enforcing the rules which are presently in place.
Only if all of the umpires didn't turn their heads and miss the pitcher drop the ball.

Quote:
You better watch out for the local Constable as s/he is sure to ticket you as it is becoming more obvious that much is going over your head and probably littering the countryside.
Not going over my head, hitting me directly up side the head.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
Not going over my head, hitting me directly up side the head.
What I'm finding strange to understand is why any umpire would have a problem with a change that would not only allow the game to proceed in a smoother and more expedient manner , but also permit the umpire an extra second or two to take a breath between plays.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
What I'm finding strange to understand is why any umpire would have a problem with a change that would not only allow the game to proceed in a smoother and more expedient manner , but also permit the umpire an extra second or two to take a breath between plays.
No problem here. I welcome that change. Until it happens, we have to deal with it the way it is.

I loathe bird dogging runners to make sure they are complying with the rules. But if I don't do it, I'm going to miss a violation of the rules and get my butt chewed for missing it.

Don't like that either.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

What I get tired of is how most of the threads on this board end up being snarky back & forth exchanges with Mike. College fastpitch is not and never will be slowpitch. I used to read this board and learn, now I just get annoyed.

The pitcher walks out of the circle and the alert base runner takes off for 2nd the runner from 3rd scores on the throw. It's part of the game. Doesn't happen often but it can.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Well, Rachel, for some of us (such as me, for example), this discussion of the LBR, calling TIME and the end of playing action, etc., (and Mike's views on it), are like the old prison joke... somebody yells "joke #42" and everybody laughs... they've heard them all so many times before. You gotta have a bit of a sense of humor, or at least of not taking things so seriously, to actually enjoy needling Mike about some of this stuff.

Either that, or I'm just weird.

Or, maybe both!
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
What I get tired of is how most of the threads on this board end up being snarky back & forth exchanges with Mike. College fastpitch is not and never will be slowpitch. I used to read this board and learn, now I just get annoyed.

The pitcher walks out of the circle and the alert base runner takes off for 2nd the runner from 3rd scores on the throw. It's part of the game. Doesn't happen often but it can.
At one time, these were all parts of the game of fastpitch softball:

A bunt or attempt to bunt is not allowed at any time; batter is out.

Runner may not lose contact with the base until the ball reaches the batter.

Both feet must be on top of the pitcher's plate; One foot must be in contact with pitcher's plate until ball is actually left the pitcher hand (no drag allowed)

The pitch shall be delivered on the first forward swing of the pitching arm.

Batter's box shall be 3X5; 2' forward & 3' to the rear of the center of the plate.

No team could start or continue a game with less than 10 players; game is forfeited.

The bat shall be made of wood.

Substitute pitcher must pitch to one batter.

Batter is out immediately after three strikes are called (no 3rd strike rule).

Runner on 3B may only score on a batted ball, a play made on himself or the catcher returns the ball to anyone other than the pitcher.

The addition of the LBR is a basically recent addition to the game to control the antics of the sly coaches and players.

The game evolves and it is my belief there is a better way to handle these antics other than ruling a runner out. Can you imagine the game today if the pitcher was not allowed to drag away from the PP or the batter wasn't even allowed to attempt to bunt?

The LBR is no more "part of the game" than many of the other parts and even less so than many.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 05:16am
Official Forum Member

at on etime they were .... are they now?

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu View Post
Of course, they are not and that was my point.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of course, they are not and that was my point.
Which is a valid point on the expectation that the LBR may find itself similarly in the dust bin of softball history someday. But, until then, it is a rule of the game that the umpires should be prepared to enforce. And, being prepared to enforce it includes being in position to enforce it.

Calling TIME to get back into position is easier on the umpires and, it could be argued, simpler for the players, but in addition what it does is take the LBR out of the picture during that time. Good or bad, intent of the rule or not, that is what it does. I can't find in the list of times when the umpire should suspend play "when the umpire believes the LBR is stupid."
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

They suspend play in SP so the fat guy in centerfield can get the ball to the pitcher without haviing to run it all the way in, so we dont have to wait 22 minutes for him to walk it in, and because they are calling time for fear of over throwing it.

LBR aint going anywhere in the FP game.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
They suspend play in SP so the fat guy in centerfield can get the ball to the pitcher without haviing to run it all the way in, so we dont have to wait 22 minutes for him to walk it in, and because they are calling time for fear of over throwing it.

LBR aint going anywhere in the FP game.
That is not the only reason. One other is the shenanigans fast runners will play with the pitcher or infielder holding the ball, each deeking, yadda yadda. Time.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Which is a valid point on the expectation that the LBR may find itself similarly in the dust bin of softball history someday. But, until then, it is a rule of the game that the umpires should be prepared to enforce. And, being prepared to enforce it includes being in position to enforce it.

Calling TIME to get back into position is easier on the umpires and, it could be argued, simpler for the players, but in addition what it does is take the LBR out of the picture during that time. Good or bad, intent of the rule or not, that is what it does. I can't find in the list of times when the umpire should suspend play "when the umpire believes the LBR is stupid."
Ya know, Tom, at no point did I suggest an umpire not apply the LBR when appropriate, yet some have determined they know what is in my mind better than I and have responded as if I did.

At no point did I suggest the LBR is stupid, yet some have chosen to respond as if I did.

How I initially responded was directly to the subject by stating there was an option (approved by ASA) to just kill the ball to allow umpires to return to their positions.

Unlike what some would like to believe, I do not jump up on my soapbox at the mention of the LBR. I will, however, voice my opinion when the discussion gets to that point and I will not apologize for doing so.

And for those who are still searching for a valid reason to retain the rule, the manner in which the umpire enforces the rules would not change, you just don't call the runner out.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu View Post
These still are in LL softball (and baseball) for players age 12 and under:

Quote:
Runner may not lose contact with the base until the ball reaches the batter.

Substitute pitcher must pitch to one batter.

Batter is out immediately after three strikes are called (no 3rd strike rule).
At the upper divisions you can leave when the pitch is released, and a third strike must be caught.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
These still are in LL softball (and baseball) for players age 12 and under:

At the upper divisions you can leave when the pitch is released, and a third strike must be caught.
Not trying to be a smart ***, but LL did not have softball at the time these rules were in place. To be honest, I don't believe you can compare LL to the rest of the softball world. Many of the rules are baseball-based (as were many of the early softball rules) and remain so at the original age levels.

And like ASA changes at the men's FP game, I believe it may be that the rules at the older levels of LL softball were possibly forced changes to stay competitive with the softball organizations with which they compete.

Just an opinion.