The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

PU Hold while BU(s) position or Both back in simulataneously

I am somewhat of a discussion with a few bigs as to the proceedure of moving to position after a play.

I have been taught and have always thought PU holds while the BU(s) move to positon then the PU goes to position. I call this releasing the PU.

He claims the following, which seems to me makes sense; however, thats not how I've done it
Quote:
You do not have to wait until the base umpire gets to the respective position and then the plate umpire moves to the respective position. When moving to the next position have eyes facing into the infield and the home plate umpire moves also with eyes facing in also at the same time. You waste a lot of time when added up. the game is NEVER slowed down by the umpires in the game.
So basically, everyone is backing into position simulataneously.

I couldnt find anything in the ump manual which makes a policy on this ASA official, so what say you, how are you taught, how do you do it?
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

DUMB.... plate wait for base to move to posistion. then plate turns hustles back . This way eyes are on the field at all times. The reason we dont want people turn from the field is because they will miss the look back or any other potential conduct that we should see. so one watches then the other... then get to the next pitch.

who ever told you to back into posistion is lazy. If you hustle as the BU and then hustle as the PU you wont waste any time.

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

He is a PAC 10 confererence and ASA FP ISF/Elite.. this is no slouch joe blow umpire, which is why I am here wondering what you guys think before I take this on...
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Everything I have been taught is that the plate ump holds while the base ump moves into position, make eye contact and then plate ump moves.
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu View Post
DUMB.... plate wait for base to move to posistion. then plate turns hustles back . This way eyes are on the field at all times. The reason we dont want people turn from the field is because they will miss the look back or any other potential conduct that we should see. so one watches then the other... then get to the next pitch.

who ever told you to back into posistion is lazy. If you hustle as the BU and then hustle as the PU you wont waste any time.
Or the PU can just kill the ball and everyone hustles into position and move on with the game.
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with PU keeping an eye on the ball/runners while moving back to the plate as BU hustles to new position. One pair of eyes should be enough, however. Can't imagine why he would recommend BU watching as well.
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with PU keeping an eye on the ball/runners while moving back to the plate as BU hustles to new position. One pair of eyes should be enough, however. Can't imagine why he would recommend BU watching as well.
1. four eyes are better than two
2. multiple runners
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Or the PU can just kill the ball and everyone hustles into position and move on with the game.
*gasp*

Sinner!
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 05:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
1. four eyes are better than two
2. multiple runners
COP OUT ... if you cant see the whole field while you HOLD and wait for your partner then get a new job this one isnt for you. What happens when you have multiple runners on and one of them leaves early in the two man system? if you can see that then you can hold and wait for your partner. I dont care who it is who told you that wade I can tell you the ISF and NCAA post season umpires ( one of which is both and worked the dish on the gold final) would quite literally crap their pants if they saw someone try to do this with them. BY THE WAY that is not a mechanic in the NCAA Softball Umpires manual so I dont know where this guy is getting that from ... SOOOOOOOOooooooOOOO in conclusion ... it doesnt matter that he is a pac 10 umpire.

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA

Last edited by kcg NC2Ablu; Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 05:15am.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

I agree; I just cant hammer this guy publicly though; it gotta be handled correctly. The info he provided is bs because new people have already posted they are getting told two different things (I told them they needed to hold).

I wonder if it's written anywhere on earth or if thats just info passed along secretly generation to generation.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
I agree; I just cant hammer this guy publicly though; it gotta be handled correctly. The info he provided is bs because new people have already posted they are getting told two different things (I told them they needed to hold).

I wonder if it's written anywhere on earth or if thats just info passed along secretly generation to generation.
Rock and a hard place for you Wade...

I'm a holder. My question is walk quickly or jog back to plate area after the BU is in position ?

Side note. Our area went to working the rim a couple of years ago. In the umpire translater that meant " Never having to buttonhook again." Kind of the same thing, sort of.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Where have I heard this before?

June 2007

Should Umpires Call “Time” to Rotate Back to Their Basic Starting Positions After End of Playing Action?

The question has been asked, should umpires who have rotated to cover a playing action call “TIME” to rotate back to their basic starting positions or should they move back one at a time while the plate umpire waits and watches for a Look Back Rule violation?

Many years ago the Look Back Rule was established to help speed-up the game by stopping the pitcher and the runner from “toying” with each other when the ball was being returned to the infield after it had been put in play. The rule was not established for the offense or defense to gain an advantage through “trick plays” or by “baiting” the other side into a violation. According to Rule 8, Section 7 T, the batter-runner and / or runner(s) must return to the base or advance to the next base once the ball is returned to the pitcher in the pitcher’s circle. Once the pitcher has possession of the ball in the eight-foot circle and the runner(s) have completed their base running responsibilities or all play has ceased, the play is over. Time can now be called.

On the other hand, if umpires can rotate to their next starting position without calling “time” and still maintain at least one pair of eyes on any possible action in the infield because one umpire need not rotate or move very far, they should do so when it is obvious all play has ceased.

Conversely, it is sometimes necessary for all umpires to turn their backs to the runner(s) on base at the same time in order to move after all play action has ceased and thereby keep the game moving at an acceptable pace. In this case, the umpire closest to home plate should call “time” and all umpires should then rotate simultaneously, versus one umpire watching the runner(s) while one umpire at a time moves to their next position.
Additionally, according to Rule 10, Section 4 B and E, the umpire will call “time” to brush off the plate or to perform other duties – rotations – not involved with a play. This keeps the game moving and the players are not subjected to waiting on the umpires to get back to their positions in order to resume play. This simple technique can pick-up the tempo of a game and keep it moving. (Rule 8, Section 7 T; Rule 10, Section 4 B and E; Rules Supplement 34)

Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for finding that Irish, as I read this post I KNEW I had read an official "ruling / opinion" about this topic. Glad you posted it so I didn't have to go looking for it!!
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
My question is walk quickly or jog back to plate area after the BU is in position ?
I'm telling all of the umpires going through our training program that there are 2 modes of motion while umpiring: stopped and jogging. Sometimes jogging will have to increase to running.

I've seen too many umpires waaaallllllkkkkkk into position. It is a lazy, old man saunter - and it looks like they don't care. If I don't think they care, what must the coaches, players and fans think.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
I'm telling all of the umpires going through our training program that there are 2 modes of motion while umpiring: stopped and jogging. Sometimes jogging will have to increase to running.

I've seen too many umpires waaaallllllkkkkkk into position. It is a lazy, old man saunter - and it looks like they don't care. If I don't think they care, what must the coaches, players and fans think.
Thats actually what started the hole thing. I was working with a partner who moseyed around and I chewed his @$$ until I got him to hustle, then I went to our association MB and chewed everyones @$$ that they needed to hustle to release the PU because people were not hustling.

Then an high up umpire in our assoc posted that..

Irish posted a dead on ruling from ASA.

Its been my experience that people are still using the "post and release" version at all levels of play; but it looks like the other umpire was not too far off base.

So thanks.