The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Mike, I'm assuming that you advocate eliminating the LBR, but retaining a rule preventing a runner from leaving before the pitch is released. Otherwise there will never be another out at 2B on a steal attempt(?)
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Mike, I'm assuming that you advocate eliminating the LBR, but retaining a rule preventing a runner from leaving before the pitch is released. Otherwise there will never be another out at 2B on a steal attempt(?)
Correct. That is a separate rule which I have not discussed. As previously noted, nothing really changes except the runner is returned to the previously touched base instead of being ruled out.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Not trying to be a smart ***, but LL did not have softball at the time these rules were in place. To be honest, I don't believe you can compare LL to the rest of the softball world. Many of the rules are baseball-based (as were many of the early softball rules) and remain so at the original age levels.

And like ASA changes at the men's FP game, I believe it may be that the rules at the older levels of LL softball were possibly forced changes to stay competitive with the softball organizations with which they compete.

Just an opinion.
I agree with you on this. LL is different, and you're probably right about the reason for the changes at the upper levels. It wouldn't bother me to see LL take a long look at its softball rules and maybe get closer to the rest of softball. I can dream...
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Ya know, Tom, at no point did I suggest an umpire not apply the LBR when appropriate, yet some have determined they know what is in my mind better than I and have responded as if I did.

At no point did I suggest the LBR is stupid, yet some have chosen to respond as if I did.

How I initially responded was directly to the subject by stating there was an option (approved by ASA) to just kill the ball to allow umpires to return to their positions.

Unlike what some would like to believe, I do not jump up on my soapbox at the mention of the LBR. I will, however, voice my opinion when the discussion gets to that point and I will not apologize for doing so.

And for those who are still searching for a valid reason to retain the rule, the manner in which the umpire enforces the rules would not change, you just don't call the runner out.
Joke #42 ...

"searching for a valid reason...." No, just valid enforcement. I don't like the slow pitch rule for the fast pitch game, since the defense needs to play the game, too, including accurate throws of the ball in to the pitcher, etc.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Joke #42 ...

"searching for a valid reason...." No, just valid enforcement. I don't like the slow pitch rule for the fast pitch game, since the defense needs to play the game, too, including accurate throws of the ball in to the pitcher, etc.
Who said it was a SP rule. What do you think they did in the FP game before the LBR was effected?

And, FYI, in SP, the ball is live until all play is complete even in the game without stealing. After a pitch, where there is stealing, the runners can advance until the ball is returned to and possessed by the pitcher in the infield. IOW, the action in SP is the same as you asked for in FP. Wow, what a shock that must be!

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Thu Jul 16, 2009 at 08:36pm.