The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Hey real quick I always thought this was a foul but an experienced guy told me No after I called it yesterday. team A has the ball on their baseline trying to throw it in after B scored. B emp[ores the full court pressas A1 cuts to try to get open B1 grabs him and holds onto him preventing him from getting to the spot. Foul right? this guy claimed that he had to have the ball, but that just doesnt make sense to me
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Don't always believe everything in life that someone with more experience tells you!
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CA BBall Ref
Don't always believe everything in life that someone with more experience tells you!
That is why I am asking here. So I am taking that As it was a foul
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Yes foul, could be an intentional but that's your judgement.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Yes foul, could be an intentional but that's your judgement.
What would be the criteria for it to be intentional? I don't think it was because the player just stuck out her arm and grabbed the jersey for a sec. I prop wouldn't of even called it, but team A had thrown the ball to her and she missed it as a result.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Dead ball fouls always run the risk of being intentional. Usually very late in the game and the defense is just trying to get the other team to the line so no time runs off. "Contact away from the ball or when not making a legitimate attempt to play the ball, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting, shall be intentional." Personally it sounds like a common foul, not intentional. Use the same judgement when a team is in a foul situation late and trying to kill the clock. Do we call those intentional? Rarely since we know what a team is trying to do. Your judgement sounds just fine in this situation. The defense gained an advantage and was punished accordingly.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CA BBall Ref
Dead ball fouls always run the risk of being intentional. Usually very late in the game and the defense is just trying to get the other team to the line so no time runs off. "Contact away from the ball or when not making a legitimate attempt to play the ball, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting, shall be intentional." Personally it sounds like a common foul, not intentional. Use the same judgement when a team is in a foul situation late and trying to kill the clock. Do we call those intentional? Rarely since we know what a team is trying to do. Your judgement sounds just fine in this situation. The defense gained an advantage and was punished accordingly.
From the description of the original play, Team A has the ball for the throw-in. Ball's alive. So, "illegal contact with an opponent while the ball is alive", it's going to be a common foul or an intentional personal foul, is itnot?
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
What would be the criteria for it to be intentional? I don't think it was because the player just stuck out her arm and grabbed the jersey for a sec. I prop wouldn't of even called it, but team A had thrown the ball to her and she missed it as a result.
I'm not sure about Fed, but in Fiba just attempting to grab the jersey is an intentional foul, we've made sure grabbing jerseys never is to be done so no matter what it's always an intentional (wich is called an unsportsmanlike these days in fiba )
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy voyager
Quote:
I'm not sure about Fed, but in Fiba just attempting to grab the jersey is an intentional foul, we've made sure grabbing jerseys never is to be done so no matter what it's always an intentional (wich is called an unsportsmanlike these days in fiba )
Some of this has been changed, in fact totally reversed, by the current 2005-06 POE, but the part mentioning holding the jersey was not overturned.

NFHS 2000-01 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
Intentional Fouls - Excessive Contact
Intentional fouls have remained a point of emphasis for the 2000-01 season. The goal of reducing the number of intentional fouls has not occurred, primarily because the fouls are not being penalized as "intentional." An intentional foul has occurred when a team is obviously committing a foul, late in the game, to stop the clock and force the opponent into a throw-in or free-throw situation.

Acts that MUST be deemed intentional include:
• grabbing a player from behind;
• wrapping the arms around a player;
• grabbing a player away from the ball;
• grabbing or shoving a player from behind when an easy basket may be scored;
• grabbing/holding a player by the jersey in order to impede their progress;
• when coach/player says "watch, we're going to foul;" and
• excessive contact on a player attempting a shot.

These examples should be considered intentional any time they occur during a game, not just in the last minutes. However, these fouls occur most often during the last minutes of a game and are not properly called or penalized. Coaches must instruct their players regarding the proper techniques involved in strategic fouling; and officials must have the courage to appropriately enforce this rule, anytime during the contest, but especially when time is running out.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
From the description of the original play, Team A has the ball for the throw-in. Ball's alive.
A-live?!?! Now that's just scary....