The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 15, 2008, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Eager Partner?

From a Fed game last week where I am PU. Partner is pretty good, no real problems with him (first time working together). First occasion, lead runner coming in to 3B (trailing BR still on bases), I am down the line getting in to position with a throw coming in. I see BU coming over so I verbalize "I got third" (loud enough to make the 3B coach turn towards me), but BU continues to move in. Luckily ball gets away so there's no call to make. Second occasion, we have a rundown between 2B and 3B. I am in position to take the lead, but BU is right smack dab in the middle, so I verbalize "I got this end" (again loud enough to make the 3B coach turn). There is a series of quick throws as the BU does his imitation of one of those target ducks that twirls back and forth before the tag is made as the runner is retreating to 2B and BU rings her up.

My questions is this: After letting the BU know that I am there to make my call and he is still right there to also make the call, what should I do? In both cases, I was thinking to myself that I was going to let him make the call (and the rundown did turn out to be his call) in order to save us from the possible double call, but what should I have done?

He was a 20-year veteran and after the game he was more concerned with fraternizing with the coaches than reviewing game so we didn't get to discuss the coverages. I know we pre-gamed, but I don't remember for sure if we went over these situations. More than likely we didn't.
Old Thu May 15, 2008, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob
My questions is this: After letting the BU know that I am there to make my call and he is still right there to also make the call, what should I do? In both cases, I was thinking to myself that I was going to let him make the call (and the rundown did turn out to be his call) in order to save us from the possible double call, but what should I have done?
Although the incorrect mechanic by the BU, IMO you would have done the correct thing. If a call is to be made, look up and see if the BU is going to make a call. If so, let the BU make the call.

Also, although there was no time for a post game meeting, I would have called the BU the next day to discuss.
Old Thu May 15, 2008, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

I say dont call him.. For what purpose? If its like my area, you may not see this guy again for perhaps years.. who knows? He surely doesnt want to hear from you and wouldnt listen anyway.

In a game with a guy like that.. just wait and see if they will make the call. If he doesnt, make it.. if he does.. let him. No post game either.. just get in your car, go home, vent a little here, and forgidabodit.
Old Thu May 15, 2008, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...and after the game he was more concerned with fraternizing with the coaches than reviewing game...
Block him in Arbiter. Life is too short to deal with guys like that.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
From a Fed game last week where I am PU. Partner is pretty good, no real problems with him (first time working together). First occasion, lead runner coming in to 3B (trailing BR still on bases), I am down the line getting in to position with a throw coming in. I see BU coming over so I verbalize "I got third" (loud enough to make the 3B coach turn towards me), but BU continues to move in. Luckily ball gets away so there's no call to make. Second occasion, we have a rundown between 2B and 3B. I am in position to take the lead, but BU is right smack dab in the middle, so I verbalize "I got this end" (again loud enough to make the 3B coach turn). There is a series of quick throws as the BU does his imitation of one of those target ducks that twirls back and forth before the tag is made as the runner is retreating to 2B and BU rings her up.

He was a 20-year veteran and after the game he was more concerned with fraternizing with the coaches than reviewing game so we didn't get to discuss the coverages. I know we pre-gamed, but I don't remember for sure if we went over these situations. More than likely we didn't.
You did the right thing backing off and letting him have it if he is going to take it and then if he doesnt make a call then you now have to bang it bigger than you would have had you been able to be sure you had the call and not wondering if you did or didnt. The NCAA has a communication thing that I think is really cool, if in your pre game you can discuss it with your partner, What the NCAA manual has in it is when in a rundown or situation where your partner is calling you off but you cant look over to him/her to let them know you heard them then touch your ear closest to that umpire that is calling you off. This is a low profile signal that you and your partners can use for communication. That being said on my pregame "cheat sheet" I have rundowns and coverage on there those are always situations that can screw with even the best of people. As for the post game... if your partner doesnt want to then just get in the car and drive away listening to whatever calms you down and later vent ... let it go ... hopefully like someone else suggested you can block him on arbiter
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
Y'What the NCAA manual has in it is when in a rundown or situation where your partner is calling you off but you cant look over to him/her to let them know you heard them then touch your ear closest to that umpire that is calling you off. This is a low profile signal that you and your partners can use for communication. '
Thats terrible. You dont need a secret signal.. Rundowns are not rocket surgery. If you are boxing the play and you just say "I got 3" or whatever, then your partner SHOULD know that if the play is in that direction, its yours, if its in his direction, say 2, its his. You dont need to touch your ears or do top secret stuff, just speak. A good partner hears and understands what it means and knows what to do. I got other things to do that to watch an umpire to see if he his touching his ear. If I scratch my @ss in response, that means, speak, so I know what the heck you are doing.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Thats terrible. You dont need a secret signal.. Rundowns are not rocket surgery. If you are boxing the play and you just say "I got 3" or whatever, then your partner SHOULD know that if the play is in that direction, its yours, if its in his direction, say 2, its his. You dont need to touch your ears or do top secret stuff, just speak. A good partner hears and understands what it means and knows what to do. I got other things to do that to watch an umpire to see if he his touching his ear. If I scratch my @ss in response, that means, speak, so I know what the heck you are doing.

That last line says it all ...Funny stuff! Fun at the ole' ball park! ...Al
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First of all its not secret if you pre-game... second of all you are communicatiing with your partner. I have worked wiht a guy who wears hearing aids and cant here all that well so when you scream Ive got third he mau\y not here you. Third of all that signal allows your partner to keep their eyes on the action and let you know that he/she knows youve came down to help. Also what if you cant here them respond. now you have no signal no verbal and you sir are Fd because you dont know what your partner is doing and you dont know what you should be doing because you have to react to your partner in that situation. Also you knowing what you should be doing is great and the key to setting up success but your partner not knowing or even if your partner knows and doesnt let you know you are still screwed. BTW that ear thing is in the NCAA manual not NFHS so I am not saying go and do it and that mechanic was put in the manual by Ed Crane and Emily Alexander along with the other people in the national umpire improvement program Who really know what is good and what is not good. The low profile thing is like the same with asking for outs and giving the response in NCAA its done on the pants as to keep your arms in and not be signaling to god and everybody that you have two outs. The ear thing is not the only communication that should be done but it is CERTAINLY a helper.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
when in a rundown or situation where your partner is calling you off but you cant look over to him/her to let them know you heard them then touch your ear closest to that umpire that is calling you off.
Or you can just acknowledge with a thumbs up or simple, "okay, I'm on this end" or something similar.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, am I to understand that now you don't believe in umpire to umpire signals for communication? You know, things like holding your hand to your left chest to indicate IFR being in effect, or wiping it away with your right hand to your left forearm? All this is is another umpire to umpire signal. If you are too busy yourself to notice it, then that is okay. But at least you were replied back to. There are all kinds of umpire to umpire signals that are "approved" signals. I don't see a problem with using them.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Or you can just acknowledge with a thumbs up or simple, "okay, I'm on this end" or something similar.

That would work too. But, for the NCAA game, what kcg mentioned is indeed the approved signal.

Old Fri May 16, 2008, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
That would work too. But, for the NCAA game, what kcg mentioned is indeed the approved signal.
Of course, the also assumes the partner is watching for that signal instead of already picking up the play.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Of course, the also assumes the partner is watching for that signal instead of already picking up the play.
I agree. There are no guarantees it will be seen. In fact, I would venture that the majority of the time, it isn't. Of course, there have been many times when I have given the IFR signal, and not gotten a response back either. I still do it, though.

Old Fri May 16, 2008, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
So, am I to understand that now you don't believe in umpire to umpire signals for communication? You know, things like holding your hand to your left chest to indicate IFR being in effect, or wiping it away with your right hand to your left forearm? All this is is another umpire to umpire signal. If you are too busy yourself to notice it, then that is okay. But at least you were replied back to. There are all kinds of umpire to umpire signals that are "approved" signals. I don't see a problem with using them.
How did you leap from "Thats terrible. You dont need a secret signal" to "you don't believe in umpire to umpire signals for communication"?

When I read that, I understood him to mean that a secret signal is not required for a rundown. And I have to agree; in the middle of the action, a signal like touching your ear seems far too easy to miss. A simple verbal response would work better, imo.

But when there is no action, the standard umpire-to-umpire signals are certainly appropriate. That's completely different from what was being discussed.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree. There are no guarantees it will be seen. In fact, I would venture that the majority of the time, it isn't. Of course, there have been many times when I have given the IFR signal, and not gotten a response back either. I still do it, though.
I give it even during solo games. Same thing with the wipe-off