The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Apparently you are still missing the intent of my posts. Yet, I can think of nothing else to make you understand.
Actually, you just did it (see below).

Quote:
You are obviously committed to the belief that I was jumping "all over those who deigned to say they didn't like it." I have "jumped all over" no one, and that statement on your part is the only hyperbole I see in this discussion. I was merely supporting, originally, the stance of kcg NC2Ablu who made mention that the signal, which for the record I am not a fan of, is a legitimate signal as far as NCAA mechanics go. Wade had said he didn't need any secret signals, so I was informing him, in my way, that this is in fact not a "secret signal," but an approved mechanic so far as the NCAA goes. This is "proper" umpire to umpire communication.
My apologies for both missing your point and making you explain it (and also my thanks that you did explain it).

Quote:
Now insofar as your statement, "Note, however, that I do not criticize someone who uses that ear signal. As you say, it's an approved mechanic (at least for NCAA)," the following would seem to be contradictory:
Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur
Or how about:

U1: Partner, everything by the book.
U2: (touches ear).
That was levity. Nothing more.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Thats also mine.. pregames take about 15-30 seconds...

Some one in our assoc laminated this hugh list for pregame official/pregame coach and handed them out.

Funny.... thank god I've never had any partner pull that dang thing out.
The best umpires (IMHO) at the Florida Junior College tournament used the laminated 8.5"x11" pre-game form. They were all D-I umpires (SEC, ACC, CUSA and other conferences). It might have been a bit of overkill, but we sure had a thorough pre-game.

Now, if you're working 2-man with partners you've known for a long time, you don't need it ... but it was helpful in this case.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Bad thing is you shouldn't need that much pregame conversation....like several have said "I umpire by the book mechanics" "great, lets go". BUT how many times have you had this conversation and then have a BU that wants to call the lead runner into 3rd? Or rule on a tag up at 3rd? Or worse working 3 person.....and everyone is good with it prior to the game, then both field umpires go out on a ball hit to center or a U3 is working their way to 3rd on a base hit to the outfield with no one on and PU is standing there for the play.....thinking by the book this is mine surely he/she will stop at 2nd, surely they are releasing the runner to me....
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
I actually have. Last year, a guy I was working playoffs with pulled out a wipe off board and a list and starting going through everything item by item. Guess what? It was all by the book. He could have saved us all 15 minutes.
I've been doing something similar (not as huge) this year when I work with partners I haven't worked with before. I want to know that their interpretation of 'by the book' is.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur
Actually, you just did it (see below).

My apologies for both missing your point and making you explain it (and also my thanks that you did explain it).

That was levity. Nothing more.
So are we done with this now?? Whew!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I actually have. Last year, a guy I was working playoffs with pulled out a wipe off board and a list and starting going through everything item by item. Guess what? It was all by the book. He could have saved us all 15 minutes.
My pregame sheet is quick easy and paiinless. I ask if whoever Im working with has a question about something that I run through if they do we talk about it. Having a white board isnt a bad tool if your going over something with a new umpire or someone who hasnt worked three man before but if you ask if everyone(or just your partner) and they say yes ... no need to go through all that. Also saying everything is "by book" is hard if the people you work with dont have the book let alone know how to read it.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
By the book is fine, but there apparently are different books.

I usually mention the items I find inconsistent among umps I work with; like 3rd base coverage (list of 5 in another topic), going out or not in 2-ump, echoing counts, anything they have had questions about in other games.