The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 13, 2003, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
I had a girls fastpitch game tonight. We play fed rules with league exeptions. One of which states a runner must slide on a close play. Well 3rd inning visiting team R1 comes into second standing up and the short stop recived the ball about a half a second before the girl came in. My partner doesnt call her out. He relizes he made a mistake and apoligizes to the coaches but the ruling stood. At this point the bench is errupting I issue a warning and things cool down. At the half inning home coach comes out and starts winig to me I say "coach i didnt see it, you want to talk to my partner it was his call and strictly judgement." In this kind of situation is it appropriate to send a coach to your partner if it was his call. Or should I just ignore his whining a**.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2003, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

I think that you personally should ignore him AND send him to your partner. It's his call, his judgment, and his responsibility. I also believe the umpire edition of the rule book encourages sending coaches with arguments to the person who made the call, instead of you passing a message to the ump for the coach.

It does bug me to no end, however, when coaches, parents, etc. do not understand that we (umpires) are human and we do make mistakes. If your partner realized that they made a mistake and apologized, then the coaches should've let it go. Grrrr.... it just agitates me. I think that all of us try our hardest and do the best that we can and when a mistake is made, the flood gates open. Just venting a little.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2003, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

I agree fully with "bugged" BigUmpJohn. Now, on the call in question, was there a collision? my understanding is the runner doesn' have to slide, but avoid the collision. Sliding may be the best way to do this, but is it mandatory? If league exception says you gotta slide, then call was wrong, and if it is "avoid collision", and there was no collision, call was right. Either way, I never admit to teams I am wrong, rather I may have missed it if I did I'm sorry, now lets play. If I am certain of right call, I will not budge.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2003, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

No collision, and its a specific league/local rule that a runner MUST slide on a close play.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2003, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
My feeling on this is: "How close is close?" That's why I hate rules like this. You say the ball arrived a half of a second after the runner. Is that close? What about 1 second, or 1.5 or 2 seconds? The FED rule book says that a runner cannot delibretly crash into a fielder. This is a perfectly fine rule and doesn't need to be modified with a MUST SLIDE rule.

In my judgement, if a runner can stop on a base without colliding with the fielder BEFORE the ball arrives, then the play was not "close."

SamC
Old Sat Jun 14, 2003, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
bad rule

Actually, he said .5 sec before the runner, but it doesn't matter, .5 sec before or after is close to me. As Sam said, where you draw the line is impossible to determine. Most rules like this say "when a play is being made", not "when it is close". It's still a bad rule, usually made because the locals don't understand that there already is a book rule that solves the problem (or because the league president's child was hurt in a collision). The book rule is more likely to result in a better call because the umpire is using the same rule from league to league. Part of the problem is umpires who don't enforce the no collision rule and so the leagues think they have to make another rule.
Old Sat Jun 14, 2003, 03:12pm
In Memoriam

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by ref5678
One of which states a runner must slide on a close play.

I don't like the rule.
If a close throw comes from behind the runner, the runner is automatically out even if the runner didn't know the throw was coming.
Not fair! Not FAIR!

Old Sat Jun 14, 2003, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, but until I can get the idiots running the confrence to listen to us blues im stuck with it
Old Sat Jun 14, 2003, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref5678
I agree, but until I can get the idiots running the confrence to listen to us blues im stuck with it
You need to try to get your association (assuming this is contracted through such) to get the point across that such a rule places your membership in jeopardy.

If the membership doesn't want to "rock the boat", find out how many report every penny they earn to the IRS. Then remind them that if litigation takes place, the first thing examined are going to be the books to determine if the individual contractor is liable or the association.

This league is setting you up for a failure.

JMHO,
Old Sun Jun 15, 2003, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

This league is setting you up for a failure.

My thought exactly! I do believe that the association would have to change this "must slide" rule, or else I would encourage everyone to refuse to call for this association and then would lead by example. There are way too many associations and leagues looking for good umpires. I cannot see placing yourself in jeopardy of litigation which no sanctioning body would back you on.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2003, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I'd hate to be the league prez when a kid loses his/her helmet while sliding and gets clocked in the head by a low throw.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2003, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

bad thing about all of this is that our league president is our association president for softball
Old Tue Jun 17, 2003, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

When are these moronic local BODs learn that making a "must slide" rule is not only contradictory to the rules, but opens the league to a lawsuit if someone is injured while sliding?

And I can't understand why any umpire would be willing to work those leagues. If enough umpires refused to do their games, maybe they'll get some sense into their little heads.

Bob
Old Tue Jun 17, 2003, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the comments listed above. Must slide rules are just asking for a lawsuit. I know there have been successful lawsuits over broken ankles in a "must slide" league. I also agree not to call the games if you know in advance of the must slide rule. But I am asking this, if you find out about a must slide rule minutes before the game can't you cover this in the pre-game? Something along the lines of "Ok coaches I understand there is a must slide rule in effect this will be my judgement and to let you know if there is not a collision then there was no need to slide. That is the way this game will be called so you all know up front and there shouldn't be any questions when a play happens." Would that work, because as you all mentioned if I enforce the must slide rule I feel that I could be liable for litigation if an injury occures. This way if the coaches have a problem with it they can take it to the league "powers that be" after the game, maybe I will not be asked back but at least I have not called a game where I am liable to get someone hurt cause "they had to slide"!!
Old Tue Jun 17, 2003, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

for this particular league the use high school students for most of the leagues. So they are obviously not contracted through an association. However i have been scheduled to speak to the BOD reguarding this rule. Wish me luck.