LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I give it even during solo games. Same thing with the wipe-off
Talking with yourself, blue?

Actually, I do that, too.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur
How did you leap from "Thats terrible. You dont need a secret signal" to "you don't believe in umpire to umpire signals for communication"?

When I read that, I understood him to mean that a secret signal is not required for a rundown. And I have to agree; in the middle of the action, a signal like touching your ear seems far too easy to miss. A simple verbal response would work better, imo.

But when there is no action, the standard umpire-to-umpire signals are certainly appropriate. That's completely different from what was being discussed.
You should read my post, and quote the entire thing, instead of just the part that you deem necessary. If you had, you would notice I was asking a question, to make a point. Yes. As I have stated, many of these signals go unnoticed. However, we still continue to use them. I don't believe I have ever stated whether or not I agree with this particular signal at all. What I did state is, it is the recommended signal for NCAA, and being such, I will use it when I call their games.

In the NCAA they advise using this signal. Absolutely nothing secret about it. It is in print in the CCA Umpire's Manual. Same as the other umpire to umpire communication signals. So, this is exactly what is being discussed. Not, as you stated (and that can be seen by the fact that I quoted you completely above) something "completely different."

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.

Last edited by Skahtboi; Fri May 16, 2008 at 06:38pm.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

As do I.

Old Fri May 16, 2008, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm surprised I didn't catch this the first time.

What wipe-off, Mike? I can't find this anywhere in the book.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat May 17, 2008, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Especially if I can see an umpire on an adjoining field to signal.
Old Sat May 17, 2008, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
So, am I to understand that now you don't believe in umpire to umpire signals for communication?
No, you should understand I dont believe in dumb signals when verbal communication works just fine or better. Ive worked with many of you college guys and you do this collar thing for good call and all this lame stuff. Its just dumb. IFR or "gimme the count" and some other stuff are fine.
Old Sat May 17, 2008, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
No, you should understand I dont believe in dumb signals when verbal communication works just fine or better. Ive worked with many of you college guys and you do this collar thing for good call and all this lame stuff. Its just dumb. IFR or "gimme the count" and some other stuff are fine.
What the hell is the "collar thing?" Apparently, not an approved signal, as I have never seen or heard of it. I still haven't weighed in with my opinion on the response signal for someone coming up to cover the other end of the play, just stated that it is in fact a legitimate, approved signal in the NCAA. Therefore, it is no different than any other approved umpire to umpire signal in any other code.

Old Sat May 17, 2008, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And playing devil's advocate here, why not just yell at your partner, "the infield fly rule is on," or "what do you have for a count," (which I believe is still the recommended ASA way) instead of using signals? Don't you think that when these signals came into being, some umpire, somewhere, was saying "I am not going to use these signals, they are just dumb?"

Obviously, though, enough umpires accepted the change and applied them, and they have now become the accepted norm.

Old Sat May 17, 2008, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
And playing devil's advocate here, why not just yell at your partner, "the infield fly rule is on," or "what do you have for a count," (which I believe is still the recommended ASA way) instead of using signals? Don't you think that when these signals came into being, some umpire, somewhere, was saying "I am not going to use these signals, they are just dumb?"

Obviously, though, enough umpires accepted the change and applied them, and they have now become the accepted norm.
Speaking ASA

Asking for the count if eye contact doesn't work, but the IFR is still a right hand to the chest.

However, I do not understand why you would need to compliment your partner on a "good call". What does it mean if you forget to execute the "collar thing"? Does that mean you disagree with the call?
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

I think the only thing I could add is to tell your partner a couple more times that your there, we don't want to turn that into a conversation on the diamond during a rundown....but maybe esculate the verbal

1) I got 3 (as you said)
2) 3rd is my call
3) I'm at 3 take second

I dont' think I would go to a forth just do what you did after that, and I would have a conversation after the first incident to remind your partner that is your call and you were there, a nice reminder that he/she is working with an umpire that doesn't have a chain tied to home plate. That you are going to be where you should be per the manual. Also to see if he had a hard time hearing you call him off or what. A nice, brief conversation but still let him know you were there and you will be there baring any SNAFU's that might occur.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So just to go down the slippery slope here if some signals are dumb but others are fine... do you pick and choose which rules to apply based on what you think is dumb ... we enforce all the rules for a reason those signals are all used for a reason
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
So just to go down the slippery slope here if some signals are dumb but others are fine... do you pick and choose which rules to apply based on what you think is dumb ... we enforce all the rules for a reason those signals are all used for a reason
That slope is so slippery, it doesn't exist.

Rules =/= signals..its apples and oranges. Many different umpires can legitimately differ/express preferences over signals, but ignoring rules is an entirely separate matter.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I also signal IFR when solo, but for 1 reason only. I want to be consistent every game and certain "routines" help me recall the sich during actual plays. The point is, if it helps me, then why not.....
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 05:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
That slope is so slippery, it doesn't exist.

Rules =/= signals..its apples and oranges. Many different umpires can legitimately differ/express preferences over signals, but ignoring rules is an entirely separate matter.
True but how many times have you heard this, " I'm not gonna call that this is a (insert important game here)" Unfourtunately I have heard that WAY to much as of late. Just to add to that ... a majority of those umpire who wouldnt make a "tough call" or enforce a rule because of whatever game it is didn't signal or use the right signals or even have a pre-game to discuss what they would want to use
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
Well.. two diff animals, you guys have E. A.'s books with a billion signals in it. There actually are not very many signals for use in ASA.