The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
True but how many times have you heard this, " I'm not gonna call that this is a (insert important game here)" Unfourtunately I have heard that WAY to much as of late.
I've heard it from unexpected sources of late.....
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
So just to go down the slippery slope here if some signals are dumb but others are fine... do you pick and choose which rules to apply based on what you think is dumb ... we enforce all the rules for a reason those signals are all used for a reason
Use the signals in the NCAA Softball Umpire's Manual if you are doing a college game and the FED signals if it's a high school game. If it's rec ball, use the signals that the rule set is being played under. Many of the rec games use standard ASA mechanics for umpire to umpire signals.

If your umpire association UIC has specific signals s/he wants used then KTBDH. (Keep The Big Dog Happy)
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 05:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
Use the signals in the NCAA Softball Umpire's Manual if you are doing a college game and the FED signals if it's a high school game. If it's rec ball, use the signals that the rule set is being played under. Many of the rec games use standard ASA mechanics for umpire to umpire signals.

If your umpire association UIC has specific signals s/he wants used then KTBDH. (Keep The Big Dog Happy)

If you pre-game something with your partner it for communication purposes I dont know any UIC that will ding you for that. And since rundowns are in my pregame it will be pregamed if some one has a problem with it we always work to a comprimse.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Whatever happened to the good ol' days when a pregame was:

U1: Partner, everything by the book.
U2: You got it!
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA

That's still what I do, mostly. Other than reminders of various things, we (partner and I) only get off into other stuff if he brings it up.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur
How did you leap from "Thats terrible. You dont need a secret signal" to "you don't believe in umpire to umpire signals for communication"?

When I read that, I understood him to mean that a secret signal is not required for a rundown. And I have to agree; in the middle of the action, a signal like touching your ear seems far too easy to miss. A simple verbal response would work better, imo.

But when there is no action, the standard umpire-to-umpire signals are certainly appropriate. That's completely different from what was being discussed.
You should read my post, and quote the entire thing, instead of just the part that you deem necessary. If you had, you would notice I was asking a question, to make a point.
OK, here's the question you 'posed' (both of them):

Quote:
So, am I to understand that now you don't believe in umpire to umpire signals for communication? You know, things like holding your hand to your left chest to indicate IFR being in effect, or wiping it away with your right hand to your left forearm?
That seems like a pair of rhetorical questions designed to hyperbolize the other poster's statement. In other words, it was a strawman, and that is what I was focusing on. That you phrased it as a question is irrelvant. And if I misread it, then I apologize. But after rereading it, I still take it the same way.

Quote:
Yes. As I have stated, many of these signals go unnoticed. However, we still continue to use them. I don't believe I have ever stated whether or not I agree with this particular signal at all. What I did state is, it is the recommended signal for NCAA, and being such, I will use it when I call their games.
No, you didn't come right out and definitively state your position on whether or not you agree with this particular signal. But you did jump all over those who deigned to say that they didn't like it.

Quote:
In the NCAA they advise using this signal. Absolutely nothing secret about it. It is in print in the CCA Umpire's Manual. Same as the other umpire to umpire communication signals. So, this is exactly what is being discussed. Not, as you stated (and that can be seen by the fact that I quoted you completely above) something "completely different."
No, the other umpire-to-umpire signals that you used for your hyperbolic comparison were the ones for the IFR. Those are used when there is a lull in the action; thus they can reasonably be expected to be seen and understood. The signal in question here is touching one's ear during the play. These are completely different situations, and the IFR signals really are NOT exactly what is being discussed.

One can agree with the IFR signals and not agree with the ear touching and still be consistent. Because they're, you know, different. Completely.

Note, however, that I do not criticize someone who uses that ear signal. As you say, it's an approved mechanic (at least for NCAA). I just don't happen to see value in it, especially when one's eyes are better used to follow the play rather than your partner.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Or how about:

U2: (touches ear)
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
That's still what I do, mostly. Other than reminders of various things, we (partner and I) only get off into other stuff if he brings it up.
Thats also mine.. pregames take about 15-30 seconds...

Some one in our assoc laminated this hugh list for pregame official/pregame coach and handed them out.

Funny.... thank god I've never had any partner pull that dang thing out.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, here's the question you 'posed' (both of them):

That seems like a pair of rhetorical questions designed to hyperbolize the other poster's statement. In other words, it was a strawman, and that is what I was focusing on. That you phrased it as a question is irrelvant. And if I misread it, then I apologize. But after rereading it, I still take it the same way.

No, you didn't come right out and definitively state your position on whether or not you agree with this particular signal. But you did jump all over those who deigned to say that they didn't like it.

No, the other umpire-to-umpire signals that you used for your hyperbolic comparison were the ones for the IFR. Those are used when there is a lull in the action; thus they can reasonably be expected to be seen and understood. The signal in question here is touching one's ear during the play. These are completely different situations, and the IFR signals really are NOT exactly what is being discussed.

One can agree with the IFR signals and not agree with the ear touching and still be consistent. Because they're, you know, different. Completely.

Note, however, that I do not criticize someone who uses that ear signal. As you say, it's an approved mechanic (at least for NCAA). I just don't happen to see value in it, especially when one's eyes are better used to follow the play rather than your partner.

Apparently you are still missing the intent of my posts. Yet, I can think of nothing else to make you understand. You are obviously committed to the belief that I was jumping "all over those who deigned to say they didn't like it." I have "jumped all over" no one, and that statement on your part is the only hyperbole I see in this discussion. I was merely supporting, originally, the stance of kcg NC2Ablu who made mention that the signal, which for the record I am not a fan of, is a legitimate signal as far as NCAA mechanics go. Wade had said he didn't need any secret signals, so I was informing him, in my way, that this is in fact not a "secret signal," but an approved mechanic so far as the NCAA goes. This is "proper" umpire to umpire communication.

Now insofar as your statement, "Note, however, that I do not criticize someone who uses that ear signal. As you say, it's an approved mechanic (at least for NCAA)," the following would seem to be contradictory:

Quote:
Or how about:

U2: (touches ear).

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Thats also mine.. pregames take about 15-30 seconds...

Some one in our assoc laminated this hugh list for pregame official/pregame coach and handed them out.

Funny.... thank god I've never had any partner pull that dang thing out.
I actually have. Last year, a guy I was working playoffs with pulled out a wipe off board and a list and starting going through everything item by item. Guess what? It was all by the book. He could have saved us all 15 minutes.

Old Wed May 21, 2008, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I actually have. Last year, a guy I was working playoffs with pulled out a wipe off board and a list and starting going through everything item by item. Guess what? It was all by the book. He could have saved us all 15 minutes.
Apparently, Glen didn't trust you........oops, did I say/type that out loud

Old Wed May 21, 2008, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Apparently, Glen didn't trust you........oops, did I say/type that out loud

And you are sooooooooooooo right.

Old Wed May 21, 2008, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, as Mike said, there are a lot of umpires trained not to go by the book. I was surprised to hear our organization tell us that the BU should let PU handle ALL runners at 3B in SP, even the BR. Sometimes, you just have to account for that.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The crazy (or sad) part is that I had the same name in my head.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
The crazy (or sad) part is that I had the same name in my head.
So...safe to assume this isn't an isolated incident?