The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

How should I have handled.

Same coach as the Physical Assist thread below... but before that incident.

Brand new BU, very first game ever, 12U. So instead of not talking between innings, we agree to do the meet on the 1BL thing to go over whatever she may want to go over.

She's in C, play at first. She makes it to the holding area but gets perfectly straightlined on a pulled foot. (Note - I had explained to her how to handle managers asking her to get help before the game). It's not just a pulled foot ... but a big, elephant pulled foot that the whole world saw except my BU and perhaps F6. She calls the out and heads back to C. Coaches don't realize there's a problem for a good 10 seconds, and BR is very slow to leave the basepath (as she KNOWS she was safe). Eventually, coach starts walking to me, I say, "Her call" and point at BU.

They talk for about 3 seconds and she notices me looking right at her so she comes to chat. I tell her what I saw and she changes the call. Perfectly handled by her as far as I'm concerned. OC complains to me for about 5 seconds, and I just say, "Coach, it was the right call. Let's play."

Here's where it got fun, and I probably handled it differently than I should have.

After the inning ends, OC comes right to where BU and I were going to meet. Tells me that "Where I come from an umpire has to live with his call, right or wrong." "Coach, I hear you, but it was the right call and the right procedure. We're done here." Then he says, "I've been playing and coaching for years and I've never seen anyone reverse a call like that." "Coach, this was handled correctly, and I'm sorry if you've never seen a call reversed." Then ... "I know it was the right call, we all saw it, but you can't reverse a call like this." "Coach, it's over. We're done. We're not going to discuss umpire mechanics with you." He's still standing there, 2 feet from us both. "Coach. We're done. I'm going to talk to my partner now." Still standing there. "COACH. We're DONE." And he finally walks off. He never raised his voice at all.

I'd like to hear A) would you have tossed him at any point during this discussion, and B) would you have said/done anything different during this discussion.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

I'd do nothing differently. You handled a blabbermouth idiot as best you could. No ejection.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder

I'd like to hear A) would you have tossed him at any point during this discussion, and B) would you have said/done anything different during this discussion.
I probably would have made some snide remark like, "So how are the umpires in the Garden of Eden league?"

Okay, putting aside the smartass comments, I think you did well. I probably would have only told him once and then turn around and ask him point blank if there was anything else he would like to discuss before leaving the field.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Thu May 10, 2007 at 10:53am.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Looks good to me, but it was probably annoying for you. But I see nothing ejectable here.

If you wanted to nit pick, perhaps your first response to his old-school based question was maybe a bit terse and he did not think it actually answered his question, which caused him to continue.

Or, maybe he was just an idiot and nothing would have helped.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

I pondered over this one for a few minutes after I posted my original reply, and it almost sounds like he was trying to give friendly advice (in poor fashion, of course). I can't tell tone from the OP, so that's pure speculation. Veteran coaches and umpires can always spot the rookies, so he could have just been trying to test her. Either way, he's still an idiot, and you did the right thing.

Honestly, the whole time I was reading it, I kept imagining Hank Hill from "King of the Hill," trying to talk to an umpire.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
I pondered over this one for a few minutes after I posted my original reply, and it almost sounds like he was trying to give friendly advice (in poor fashion, of course). I can't tell tone from the OP, so that's pure speculation. Veteran coaches and umpires can always spot the rookies, so he could have just been trying to test her. Either way, he's still an idiot, and you did the right thing.
Actually, all of his comments were directed at me, not her.

Quote:
Honestly, the whole time I was reading it, I kept imagining Hank Hill from "King of the Hill," trying to talk to an umpire.
You are closer than you know on that one.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

I have no issues with the between innings conversation and how it was handled......but......

Quote:
...OC complains to me for about 5 seconds....
and.....
Quote:
...OC comes right to where BU and I were going to meet.
Assuming that OC stands for "offensive coach"....why would he be complaining at all? Wasn't it his runner that was originally called out, then had the call reversed to safe??????
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
I have no issues with the between innings conversation and how it was handled......but......

and.....

Assuming that OC stands for "offensive coach"....why would he be complaining at all? Wasn't it his runner that was originally called out, then had the call reversed to safe??????
Yes ... good point. It was the defensive coach.