View Single Post
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

How should I have handled.

Same coach as the Physical Assist thread below... but before that incident.

Brand new BU, very first game ever, 12U. So instead of not talking between innings, we agree to do the meet on the 1BL thing to go over whatever she may want to go over.

She's in C, play at first. She makes it to the holding area but gets perfectly straightlined on a pulled foot. (Note - I had explained to her how to handle managers asking her to get help before the game). It's not just a pulled foot ... but a big, elephant pulled foot that the whole world saw except my BU and perhaps F6. She calls the out and heads back to C. Coaches don't realize there's a problem for a good 10 seconds, and BR is very slow to leave the basepath (as she KNOWS she was safe). Eventually, coach starts walking to me, I say, "Her call" and point at BU.

They talk for about 3 seconds and she notices me looking right at her so she comes to chat. I tell her what I saw and she changes the call. Perfectly handled by her as far as I'm concerned. OC complains to me for about 5 seconds, and I just say, "Coach, it was the right call. Let's play."

Here's where it got fun, and I probably handled it differently than I should have.

After the inning ends, OC comes right to where BU and I were going to meet. Tells me that "Where I come from an umpire has to live with his call, right or wrong." "Coach, I hear you, but it was the right call and the right procedure. We're done here." Then he says, "I've been playing and coaching for years and I've never seen anyone reverse a call like that." "Coach, this was handled correctly, and I'm sorry if you've never seen a call reversed." Then ... "I know it was the right call, we all saw it, but you can't reverse a call like this." "Coach, it's over. We're done. We're not going to discuss umpire mechanics with you." He's still standing there, 2 feet from us both. "Coach. We're done. I'm going to talk to my partner now." Still standing there. "COACH. We're DONE." And he finally walks off. He never raised his voice at all.

I'd like to hear A) would you have tossed him at any point during this discussion, and B) would you have said/done anything different during this discussion.