The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

how should this been handled.

This past weekend I was having a few brown pops ,ha ha, with a fellow ump from out of town. After a few each he asked me how I would of handled this situation that happened to him last year. It was the final game of a best of 5 championship series for a ladies league they ump.
Top ot the 5th, R1 on 2nd with 1 out, score was 4 to 2 for the visiting team.
Batter hit a hard bouncer to the F5 who bobbled it a bit then throws a rocket to F3 to retire the BR on a bang, bang play. My buddy was the plate ump, he had followed the BR a couple of steps as he is supposed to, held watching the BR all the way to first, just as the play happened he released and hustled back around the plate for any possible play at home or third, as he tuned he heard his partner yell OUT.for the call at first.
R1 had taken a walking lead waiting for the throw to 1st, then took off for 3rd. F3 came off the bag throwing to F6 who was covering 3rd. Safe was the call at 3rd. The visiting team was sitting on the first base bench had started to yell that F3 had come off the bag and they told the BR to stay on the bag.The throw to 3rd got away from F6 and R1 took a couple steps but hustled back to the bag. The home team calls a time out to go over whatever it is that they talk about during a conference.
So after the conference they get set to play with a runner on 3rd, or so they thought. The BR who had been called out had stayed on first after her bench told her to even though she admitted to hearing the word OUT.
Now my buddy knows he messed up by not making sure everything is OK to start. The next batter hits a single between F7 & CF scoring the runner from 3rd. Much to my buddies surprise there is a play at 3rd with a runner sliding into 3rd and again the base ump calls safe. When the play is over both umps look at each other with a surprised look but then hustle back to their positions. Both had thought that this runner came from second, not realizing that, (1) there was no runner on 2nd. (2) that the BR from the previous play had stayed on 1st.
The plate ump was just getting ready to signal the pitch to start pitching to the next batter when the home team coach called time and came out to talk to him. coach-" Umpy she was out" ump " Who was out" coach " she was out" pointing to the runner on 3rd. ump " no she was safe by a good step and if you want to talk about it you have to talk to my partner as it was his call"
coach "no, no umpy she was out at first base the play before."
Then all the lights started to go off in my buddies head as he just realized what happened.
I will tell you all what he did, how he handled it, but first I'd like to see what you guys think should have been done.

RW
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

To start, I would have tossed the coach that called me "Umpy"!
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Send the runner who was out to the dugout and be sure the out was counted. With only one out to start with that's two, so the run counts. No sign that the extra runner interfered with anything.
Thank the coach for the help and civility, in spite of "umpy".
Consider a DQ for the runner staying at 1st, probably not.
Never forget the play, apparently that's the case.

OK, too easy, what am I missing?
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Mr. Rowe, sir, I believe there is an incongruity in the status of the opponents' runner.
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Must be a Canadian thing, like "hind catcher."
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

We have a retired runner continuing to advance and drawing a throw.

You said the BR had a base hit, so no play at 1B. Without a play on the BR possible, this is merely a Runner, you wer out at 1B. Don't do that again, runner. Go to your dugout."

If there was a play on the BR and the defense chose instead to throw to 3B, then the BR is out on interference by the retired runner.
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's a candian thing...they say Umpy instead of Blue..
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsf23
It's a canadian thing...they say Umpy instead of Blue..
Remember when I said I prefer "Mr. CecilOne", but some people prefer "Mr. Rowe, sir".
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Seems pretty straight forward to me. Just as answered above.

Remove the runner. Sounds like no interference as there was no other play to be had. And hold a LOT of restraint for the defensive coach chewing me a new one ... I deserve it.
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Must be a Canadian thing, like "hind catcher."
Or the catcher's hind.

Bob
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input guys, or gals, who knows.
Both umps who worked this game had the same brain fart at the same time. I agree with Mcrowder & Cecilone and all the rest of you.
Coach it was an umpires error that the runner was not removed after being called out, the out does stand and she is removed from 3rd base. There is no penalty on the play and so. now coach if you want to chew my ear off for a bit go ahead but lets keep it abit on the civil side, I'm embarrassed enough.
Or something along those lines.
NOW HERE"S WHAT MY BUDDY DID.
After conferring with his partner, they called the 2 coaches together and ruled. Rule 10. He said that there was no rule in the book to cover this situation so he nulified the play. R3 back on 3rd, batter back up to bat with count as was before pitch and the out recorded on first base.
It was after the game when they were conferring again at their cars that he figured he should have handled it differently.
After a bit of discussion with offensive coach who rightly argued the game got underway with the visiting team winning by 4.
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canump
NOW HERE"S WHAT MY BUDDY DID.
After conferring with his partner, they called the 2 coaches together and ruled. Rule 10. He said that there was no rule in the book to cover this situation so he nulified the play. R3 back on 3rd, batter back up to bat with count as was before pitch and the out recorded on first base.
It was after the game when they were conferring again at their cars that he figured he should have handled it differently.
After a bit of discussion with offensive coach who rightly argued the game got underway with the visiting team winning by 4.
IOW, he mad it worse.
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canump
... so he nulified the play.
We had a FP tournament in Columbia, SC, about 4 weeks ago. There was a SP tournament going on across town, that was being run by the same ASA director that was running the FP we were at.

Late on Sunday, the director told us about this play. We all laughed at the decision to have a "do over". My personal opinion is that if the defense pitched the ball with the runner still on the base... it's as much their fault as the offensive for trying to "pull one".

When we were told the story, I thought the director mentioned it had occurred at the SP tournament field the night before, but perhaps I misunderstood that part. His version was almost the same... without the "umpy" thing.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
Umpy is very common around here with softball. If you say "blue" everyone starts looking for the beer.

In baseball I get called "ref" all the time.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxt127
Umpy is very common around here with softball. If you say "blue" everyone starts looking for the beer.

In baseball I get called "ref" all the time.
How about "coach"?