The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

unreported sub question

Second game of JV High School DH.

I'm on the plate in the 4th inning. After a base hit, Def. coach informs me that the player that just hit was never reported. I check and he was right. I go to the offending coach and tell him and he says, " The other ump told me in game one that I didn't have to as long as both benches know."
I checked with the def. scorekeeper, who was at the other end of the bench from the head coach, and she said that the other coach did tell her the change. I also checked with my partner and he said that he did tell the coach he didn't have to report the sub.
This guy was a piece of work, but the other stuff isn't relavent to the post.

This was high school, so there is no real penatly for the first unreported sub. I told the coach that I needed the subs and we had no trouble the rest of the game.

My question is if this was ASA ball or a second offense in a High School game, would you DQ or restrict the unreported sub? or would you give the coach a break since he was told by an umpire that he didn't have to report the sub?
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

But harp ... EVERY blunder by a coach is followed by, "But the umps last game told us that we could do that." How would you know he wasn't lying. The only way I would know a coach wasn't lying was by noticing that he wasn't speaking.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpharp
Second game of JV High School DH.

I'm on the plate in the 4th inning. After a base hit, Def. coach informs me that the player that just hit was never reported. I check and he was right. I go to the offending coach and tell him and he says, " The other ump told me in game one that I didn't have to as long as both benches know."
I checked with the def. scorekeeper, who was at the other end of the bench from the head coach, and she said that the other coach did tell her the change. I also checked with my partner and he said that he did tell the coach he didn't have to report the sub.
This guy was a piece of work, but the other stuff isn't relavent to the post.

This was high school, so there is no real penatly for the first unreported sub. I told the coach that I needed the subs and we had no trouble the rest of the game.

My question is if this was ASA ball or a second offense in a High School game, would you DQ or restrict the unreported sub? or would you give the coach a break since he was told by an umpire that he didn't have to report the sub?
In a case like this where your moron, er, partner supported the coach's comment, I would have done nothing except inform both benches that from this point forward, everything must be reported to the PU.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Let me answer the OP's question:

FED rule 3-6-7 basically states that if you have an unreported sub, you issue a team warning (not to BOTH teams as has priorly been posted) to the coach of the team involved and the next offender (player) is restricted to the dugout for the remainder of the game.

It's never an out, it's never an ejection. Hope this helps!
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump
Let me answer the OP's question:

FED rule 3-6-7 basically states that if you have an unreported sub, you issue a team warning (not to BOTH teams as has priorly been posted) to the coach of the team involved and the next offender (player) is restricted to the dugout for the remainder of the game.

It's never an out, it's never an ejection. Hope this helps!

You have a situation here that requires a bit more than rule application. In a "perfect" game, yes you would only warn the offending coach. Here, however, you are having o correct the mis-information the partner gave.

"he said that he did tell the coach he didn't have to report the sub"

As that was said, there is NO way you could now warn EOITHER team. The coach was following directions.

If you are reffering to Mike's answer, he was correcting the situation NOT advocating a warning. Were you to issue a warning at this point, that would have been a(nother) mis-application of a playing rule, and could lead to some trouble.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the responses.

I told the coach that I needed the subs and we had no trouble the rest of the game.

Is the consensus that if this was an ASA game that you should give a warning because the other umpire gave him wrong information?
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpharp
Thanks for the responses.

I told the coach that I needed the subs and we had no trouble the rest of the game.

Is the consensus that if this was an ASA game that you should give a warning because the other umpire gave him wrong information?
How could you warn a coach for doing what he was told to do by the official(s)?

I'd have to warn my partner!
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
But harp ... EVERY blunder by a coach is followed by, "But the umps last game told us that we could do that." How would you know he wasn't lying. The only way I would know a coach wasn't lying was by noticing that he wasn't speaking.
About 10 years ago, a member of our softball unit was told, "But the umps last game told us that we could do that."

Manny gave him a huge smile, and responded, "Really, I worked your last game, and I said no such thing."

Bob
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
About 10 years ago, a member of our softball unit was told, "But the umps last game told us that we could do that."
My usual response to that is, "and he was fired right after that game for being stupid."
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra

Manny gave him a huge smile, and responded, "Really, I worked your last game, and I said no such thing."

Bob

Yeah, If the coach would have told me that an umpire from a week ago or something like that had told him not to report subs then I would have issued a team warning and moved on. We've all heard coaches whine about things another umpire told him.
In this game, I checked with the other umpire on the spot and found out the coach was telling the truth.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I think we should get ASA to make up a leisure-wear tee-shirt that has "Last Night's Umpire" or "The Other Umpire" on the front. Then whenever we figure out who that guy is, we can give him a tee-shirt.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think we should get ASA to make up a leisure-wear tee-shirt that has "Last Night's Umpire" or "The Other Umpire" on the front. Then whenever we figure out who that guy is, we can give him a tee-shirt.
Last thing I want in my leisure wear is to bring notice to me being an umpire...lol.

I got conned into playing for my company team a couple of years ago in the fall league. After 3 or 4 games.....I called my UIC and tld him...

"You know all those times we hear what so-and-so umpire did last week when we're working a game?" "You know.....they're ALL true."

It was a HUGE eye-opener.