The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
What Was Your Worst Call...?

I have one that I think will be hard to beat. But if anyone thinks they can top it I'd love to hear it.

It was the game for all the marbles. The game for the championship trophy, between the Mustangs and the Marlins. All the big shots were watching the game. The local newspaper reporter with her camera and pen was there as well. It was the bottom of the last inning with two Marlins on base. One on 2nd and one on 3rd. The Marlins were down by 4 runs and already had two outs so things didn't look to good for them. The batter hits a fairly hard bouncing ball toward third base. The 3rd basemen throws the ball home and the catcher stomps hardly on home plate. The girl running in from third retreats back to third. Because of the way the catcher stomped on home plate I thought for a second the bases must have been loaded. I quickly looked at the bases and saw girls on all three bases. I then called Out Game Over! At that moment my partner on the bases comes running in to tell me no one was being forced to home. I quickly realized the bases were loaded because the girls on 2nd and 3rd stayed there and the batter/runner has just got a single. I immediately yelled out 2 outs! The next play a slow roller ended the game. I felt like hiding when the administrator called me into the center of the field to thank me for doing a fine job as coach pitch umpire. I was surprised I got a nice response from the crowd, but sure learned to be more careful to know the base situation. ...Al
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Game in the state AA championship series, with two excellent teams. One was Crescent High School, where the coach is already in the NFHS hall of fame, with 18 state titles in the last 26 years and a lifetime winning percentage of 91%.

His teams know the fundamentals. They can turn double plays like the pros. I'm in "B" on a routine 6-4-3. F6 flips to F4 who swipes at the base with her foot and misses by perhaps eight inches. I started to put my fist up, already turning toward first.

I then realize I saw a missed swipe at the bag and turn back towards second and sold it. "Safe, safe" with a pulled-the-foot, motion.

Turning back toward first - - ut, oh - - the play there was already over, by a step. I called safe but really didn't know.

The coach was upset and yelled about the call at second for quite a bit. He then said, "and what about that call at first, you had SAFE? There no way." I just confirmed that I did have safe. He just shook his head and walked away.

While changing after the game, my partner and I discussed and he thought the girl at first was definitely out. When we came out of the room we where changing in, the coach was talking with the state director, who later told me the coach did not even mention the call (even though she, the director, thought I blew it, too.)

In front of the state director, all the coach said to us was, "Good game. I really appreciate you guys coming down. It's always great to have you here. Can I get y'all a hot dog or something to drink?"

That was about five years ago. Last week-end, I drove 2 hours just to umpire at a tournament at their complex. (With no travel pay, if you can imagine. ) There is always great ball and wonderful hospitality.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 08:12am
softball_junky

Same thing happened my second or third year of umpiring in an High School
Tournament. Ground ball to SS she is heading toward 2B so she taking the out herself but misses the base. I can't make a call until the runner reaches 2b so I wait, runner slides, sell safe. When I turn to first the play is over there and I didn't get a good look at it. Can't guess an out so I call safe. I had a long disscussion with the coach about the call at 2b. When he realises I am not backing down on the missed base he asks about the call at 1b.” The call is safe coach”. He leaves the field very unhappy. In hindsight I should have asked my partner for help with the call at 1b, but the coach never asked me to ask for help.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Working alone, 8U game, long long ago. The dirt around home is very slick, and as the batter hits a dribbler down the first base line, I slip, fall, get up and hustle down the line. It is rolling right on the line. No one is moving - neither the BR nor the fielders. When it finally stops right on the line, I simply point fair and wait for things to happen. At 8U, this happens at least once a game, right?

Well, in falling and recovering, I'd lost my bearings a bit. When the 1B coach pointed out that the line the ball was on was the outside of the running lane (the actual foul line had been obliterated), I couldn't help but laugh at myself.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Working alone, 8U game, long long ago. The dirt around home is very slick, and as the batter hits a dribbler down the first base line, I slip, fall, get up and hustle down the line. It is rolling right on the line. No one is moving - neither the BR nor the fielders. When it finally stops right on the line, I simply point fair and wait for things to happen. At 8U, this happens at least once a game, right?

Well, in falling and recovering, I'd lost my bearings a bit. When the 1B coach pointed out that the line the ball was on was the outside of the running lane (the actual foul line had been obliterated), I couldn't help but laugh at myself.

Now That Thar is funny. No 1 so far....
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder

LOL...Mcrowder, that is one for the books! It makes me feel a lot better!
I think I'm gonna have a hard time looking down the first base line without thinking of that call. Thanks guys for telling us the things that one would rather not remember, much less talk about. The things we share like this will serve as a tool to help keep ourselves from making the same mistakes. Learning from others instead of the hard way. I know it will help me to keep my attention on the next call coming up when I have to sell a call somewhere else on the field. And remind me I have a partner that may be able to help, if I mess up and don't see a play. I just wonder if I'll ever get that call of yours out of my mind!...lol, Good stuff! I wish I could have been there... It's good to know even the best can have bad moments! Nothin like fun at the ole' ball park! Later, ...Al
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
My first 3-man game, with me at 1st. 18U National Qualifier with a team from California and a team from Illinois. Many moons ago. I was in way over my head. Runners at second and third, I'm in the B position. Hot grounder to short. She fields it cleanly and throws to first. I turn to first to make the call. But wait! Where's the ball? She didn't throw the ball to first, but faked me into looking for a call at first. Meanwhile, she also caught the runner at second doing pretty much the same thing as me and threw back to second, catching her off base. I, however, didn't have the privilege of seeing this great play. Fortunately for me, the BU at third realized I was in the twilight zone and came up really strong with an out call. Didn't hear a word from anyone until after the game, when it was my turn to buy the beer.

Lessons learned:

You learn lessons much better when you screw something up. Hopefully, no one gets unduly penalized.
Watch the ball!!!!
Work with good partners. When you can't, be aware of what your partners may be missing.
Watch the ball some more!!!!
Good players do what they should do, better players will do things the opponent isn't expecting.
Watch the ball!!!!

Last edited by MNBlue; Fri Mar 24, 2006 at 11:05am.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

First year transitioning from baseball to FP. I was in B position. R1 on first. hit to right field. I hustle into the diamond and pick-up R1 going into second. Ball is nowhere to be seen. I suddenly realize F9 threw to first. Luckily for me my partner (the guy that talked me into moving away from the darkside) saw my mistake and called B2 out at first. That has been many years ago, but when we work together he makes it a point to mention it in the pregame.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

The one that sticks with me was the third game I had ever umpired... my first two games had been easy rec affairs with the little kids. The next night, though, someone didn't show up and I had to go over to umpire a game played between 12U A teams. Needless to say, I was not ready for it. In the first inning, the batter hits a ground ball and is thrown out at first... so I thought. I called the out and then watched as the fielder dropped the ball. That experience had me a little off balance, but it got worse. Later a runner tries to steal third, and I head over to make the call. The throw came in well before the runner, the fielder put down her glove and I had a big OUT. Only when the coaches started screaming did I realize the fielder, for some unknown reason, had taken the ball out of her glove and held it in her hand while tagging with her glove. That game happened years ago, but I still remember those two calls clearly... at least I learned my lessons early. During training they explained having proper timing on calls and following the ball - somehow it just doesn't sink in until you screw it up for yourself.

Sara
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF
The one that sticks with me was the third game I had ever umpired... my first two games had been easy rec affairs with the little kids. The next night, though, someone didn't show up and I had to go over to umpire a game played between 12U A teams. Needless to say, I was not ready for it. In the first inning, the batter hits a ground ball and is thrown out at first... so I thought. I called the out and then watched as the fielder dropped the ball. That experience had me a little off balance, but it got worse. Later a runner tries to steal third, and I head over to make the call. The throw came in well before the runner, the fielder put down her glove and I had a big OUT. Only when the coaches started screaming did I realize the fielder, for some unknown reason, had taken the ball out of her glove and held it in her hand while tagging with her glove. That game happened years ago, but I still remember those two calls clearly... at least I learned my lessons early. During training they explained having proper timing on calls and following the ball - somehow it just doesn't sink in until you screw it up for yourself.
Thanks SF,

In my very first game as an umpire I had a girl (who happened to be my next door neighbor) running between 2nd and 3rd base when she was caught up with and tagged. I called her out. It was the third out so the defending team started off the field, and vice-versa. Within a few seconds the girls mother (a good neighbor) called me over to third base area to talk to me. She said the girl tagged her with the glove, but had taken the ball out of her glove before the tag. Well, I did notice that the fielder had the ball in her ungloved hand, but I thought she tagged her first and then removed the ball from her glove. I told her that, but she said no she removed the ball before the tag. I was not100% sure, and she kept telling me she saw it very clearly and I made a bad call. Instead of saying the call stands I said okay I'll correct the call. So I called the team back into the field and put my neighbors daughter on third base. First game, first mistake! The coach came over to me and said: "Ump, I don't care if you think you may have made a bad call in my favor, or the other teams favor, I do care that you stick with your call". To top it off I found out later from the offensive coach who was pitching (coach pitch) that he saw the play from a perfect angle and just wanted to inform me that the girl pulled the ball out after tagging his player. So, just as I thought I had made the correct call. I have never changed a judgment call since, and never will, unless I make an out call too soon and see the ball fall out of a glove, like you, and probably everyone else has. I am working on that cause it has biten me a time or two also. In 8 and under the kids don't hold the ball very well at times. But if I am working with a partner I am one that would probably always allow an appeal to him/her if a coach asks for one. ...and I've learned to watch all tags very closely, and keep my eyes on the ball like a hawk ever since that first game! ..Al
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

I think those lessons are only really learned when you screw up on the field... Obviously we, as umpires, want to get every call right. But missing those calls in that game have stuck with me much longer than all the correct ones I have made. Lesson learned. I guess at least I learned them early!

Sara
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Mine was horrible! First time ever on the field. In WV because of the sheer numbers, first year umpires are eligible to work HS varsity games - potential problem! I had runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs. Routine grounder to SS throws to third to retire the lead runner - no brainer, right? WRONG! I had no brains! Since I didn't see a tag, I not only called her safe - I SOLD the freakin' call - bigtime!! The coach was furious (rightly so) and called time and came out and was gonna let me have it. Fortunately for me, I had about 8 years of HS basketball under my belt so I knew how to handle a coaches confrontation. I was wrong - knew it - but he was soooo mad and made such a spectacle I decided to not eat the call. I let him talk for a few minutes, say his peace and then I told him the conversation was over. I told him (visitor) his choice was to go back to the bench or head to the bus and started back to the C position - PRAYING he would be on the way to the dugout! Instead of 1 out with 2 runners, we've got bases loaded with 0 outs! What a goof!!

Anyway, no one scored so no one got hurt and I learned a very, very valuable lesson in taking my time to make the call!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

My first year doing high school. 22 years old, wet behind the ears. I have been studying the rules left and right to make sure I had all these ambiguous rules engrained in my mind. There is a huge shortage of high school umpires in my area, so to have two umpires at a game is just a flat out bonus.

I am by myself working a three-way. In a highly competitive game, the pitcher throws a ball over the head of the batter. The batter ducks. Leaves the bat in the air. I hear the ping and, BIG MISTAKE, immediately say foul ball. Unfortunately for me, the ball had it the barrel square and rolled fair. The catcher picks up the ball and tags the batter. I call the B/R out. The offensive coach goes nuts and nukes me. I keep my call the same. I completely froze. I knew in the back of my mind that I should have kept it a foul ball. Either way, I was going to get hammered.

I lost about 3 nights of sleep over that one and still cant look that coach in the eye. Oh well...you live and learn. Because of that, I make certain that a ball is foul before I ever say anything.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

I was perfect my first game and i've improved every game thereafter.

oh wait..
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

We have all had our "moments" and my most recent came
in a very sloppy game. I know--there is no excuse, but we
had so many base runners and the infield fly was on-then
off so many times, I lost track---a batter hits a pop up down near
3rd base and I yell out--"infield fly-batter is out if fair" !!!
ooops !!
1st base was open !!
My partner laughed !