The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

New Rule du jour

Today's new rule comes from church league co-ed slowpitch.

Team A is beating Team B 11-3, top of 4. I am downright anal about some things including checking bats.

Team B has someone come in late, and he pulls a couple bats out of his bag. While I'm anal, I'm not going to call time and go check his bats.

A couple of his teammates hit a couple decent shots, but they are outs. A guy from the league keeping score says "Hey Blue, check that bat." So I pick it up and look. It's a non-approved bat. I know this from memory, but I pull out my hand dandy list just in case. Sure enough, it's non approved. Got it in writing, got a picture of the bat.

So I enforce the proper rule. BOTH teams go ballistic. I finally get tired of saying "I have no choice" and just let 'em talk. Finally they talk themselves out, and the choirboy is still gone. But not before the proposed new rule.

"C'mon blue, this is church league and it was someone else's bat. Throw the bat out, but he shouldn't be punished."

So I ask the wonderful question: "So, what else are we going to compromise on? Infield fly rule? Plan of Salvation? Inerrancy of the Bible? should we have two commandments and eight suggestions?"

"On no, blue, we're not going to compromise on any of those."

"Exactly. Play ball."
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

No, man, it's true. It's part of Hillary's campaign. To reduce prison crowding of really, nasty people, from now on, the authorities are to melt down the weapon used in a murder, but let the person go.

I guess that's okay, it was probably someone else's gun anyway.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

"Bat control! Bat control! The country of Boogawanga has banned bats, and they don't have these kinds of problems. It's that horrible National Bat Association that prevents common sense bat rules!"

Just think, bkbjones, if it weren't for the easy availability of bats, the situation you encountered would never have happened.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
No, man, it's true. It's part of Hillary's campaign. To reduce prison crowding of really, nasty people, from now on, the authorities are to melt down the weapon used in a murder, but let the person go.

I guess that's okay, it was probably someone else's gun anyway.
Melt down a gun? Mike, the thought brings tears to my eyes! Lemme have it after they're done with the trial?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

I prefer bat rehabilitation programs to out right punishment.

His mother probably treated him horribly and now he rampantly runs around using banned bats.

Its a plague.

In Amsterdam they allow illegal bats and they dont have nearly as much bat crime.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

One more reason I have a concealed bat carry permit! Gotta protect myself from these renegade idiots with bats.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Come on Blue! I have been using it all year and no one else has said anything about it.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

...the guy who sold it to me at the sporting goods store didn't say anything about this bat being banned.....
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

When bats are outlawed, only outlaws will have bats.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
"Bat control! Bat control! The country of Boogawanga has banned bats, and they don't have these kinds of problems. It's that horrible National Bat Association that prevents common sense bat rules!"

Just think, bkbjones, if it weren't for the easy availability of bats, the situation you encountered would never have happened.
Instead of banning bats maybe score-keeping should be banned... just think no one's feelings would ever get hurt... coaches, players and fans wouldn't care what way a call went because no one is keeping score. The fault lies with the people that invented a game that actually causes someone to be a loser. They have caused (forced) players to cheat with illegal bats. So if they would change the game; whereas they eliminate the counting of runs, the need to cheat would become greatly diminished. ...Al
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
Instead of banning bats maybe score-keeping should be banned... just think no one's feelings would ever get hurt... coaches, players and fans wouldn't care what way a call went because no one is keeping score. The fault lies with the people that invented a game that actually causes someone to be a loser. They have caused (forced) players to cheat with illegal bats. So if they would change the game; whereas they eliminate the counting of runs, the need to cheat would become greatly diminished. ...Al
And we'd all be more or less out of a job.