View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

My first year doing high school. 22 years old, wet behind the ears. I have been studying the rules left and right to make sure I had all these ambiguous rules engrained in my mind. There is a huge shortage of high school umpires in my area, so to have two umpires at a game is just a flat out bonus.

I am by myself working a three-way. In a highly competitive game, the pitcher throws a ball over the head of the batter. The batter ducks. Leaves the bat in the air. I hear the ping and, BIG MISTAKE, immediately say foul ball. Unfortunately for me, the ball had it the barrel square and rolled fair. The catcher picks up the ball and tags the batter. I call the B/R out. The offensive coach goes nuts and nukes me. I keep my call the same. I completely froze. I knew in the back of my mind that I should have kept it a foul ball. Either way, I was going to get hammered.

I lost about 3 nights of sleep over that one and still cant look that coach in the eye. Oh well...you live and learn. Because of that, I make certain that a ball is foul before I ever say anything.