View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Working alone, 8U game, long long ago. The dirt around home is very slick, and as the batter hits a dribbler down the first base line, I slip, fall, get up and hustle down the line. It is rolling right on the line. No one is moving - neither the BR nor the fielders. When it finally stops right on the line, I simply point fair and wait for things to happen. At 8U, this happens at least once a game, right?

Well, in falling and recovering, I'd lost my bearings a bit. When the 1B coach pointed out that the line the ball was on was the outside of the running lane (the actual foul line had been obliterated), I couldn't help but laugh at myself.
LOL...Mcrowder, that is one for the books! It makes me feel a lot better!
I think I'm gonna have a hard time looking down the first base line without thinking of that call. Thanks guys for telling us the things that one would rather not remember, much less talk about. The things we share like this will serve as a tool to help keep ourselves from making the same mistakes. Learning from others instead of the hard way. I know it will help me to keep my attention on the next call coming up when I have to sell a call somewhere else on the field. And remind me I have a partner that may be able to help, if I mess up and don't see a play. I just wonder if I'll ever get that call of yours out of my mind!...lol, Good stuff! I wish I could have been there... It's good to know even the best can have bad moments! Nothin like fun at the ole' ball park! Later, ...Al