View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Mine was horrible! First time ever on the field. In WV because of the sheer numbers, first year umpires are eligible to work HS varsity games - potential problem! I had runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs. Routine grounder to SS throws to third to retire the lead runner - no brainer, right? WRONG! I had no brains! Since I didn't see a tag, I not only called her safe - I SOLD the freakin' call - bigtime!! The coach was furious (rightly so) and called time and came out and was gonna let me have it. Fortunately for me, I had about 8 years of HS basketball under my belt so I knew how to handle a coaches confrontation. I was wrong - knew it - but he was soooo mad and made such a spectacle I decided to not eat the call. I let him talk for a few minutes, say his peace and then I told him the conversation was over. I told him (visitor) his choice was to go back to the bench or head to the bus and started back to the C position - PRAYING he would be on the way to the dugout! Instead of 1 out with 2 runners, we've got bases loaded with 0 outs! What a goof!!

Anyway, no one scored so no one got hurt and I learned a very, very valuable lesson in taking my time to make the call!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.