View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Game in the state AA championship series, with two excellent teams. One was Crescent High School, where the coach is already in the NFHS hall of fame, with 18 state titles in the last 26 years and a lifetime winning percentage of 91%.

His teams know the fundamentals. They can turn double plays like the pros. I'm in "B" on a routine 6-4-3. F6 flips to F4 who swipes at the base with her foot and misses by perhaps eight inches. I started to put my fist up, already turning toward first.

I then realize I saw a missed swipe at the bag and turn back towards second and sold it. "Safe, safe" with a pulled-the-foot, motion.

Turning back toward first - - ut, oh - - the play there was already over, by a step. I called safe but really didn't know.

The coach was upset and yelled about the call at second for quite a bit. He then said, "and what about that call at first, you had SAFE? There no way." I just confirmed that I did have safe. He just shook his head and walked away.

While changing after the game, my partner and I discussed and he thought the girl at first was definitely out. When we came out of the room we where changing in, the coach was talking with the state director, who later told me the coach did not even mention the call (even though she, the director, thought I blew it, too.)

In front of the state director, all the coach said to us was, "Good game. I really appreciate you guys coming down. It's always great to have you here. Can I get y'all a hot dog or something to drink?"

That was about five years ago. Last week-end, I drove 2 hours just to umpire at a tournament at their complex. (With no travel pay, if you can imagine. ) There is always great ball and wonderful hospitality.