Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue

Can I put my two cents in here?
Only if you understand that the UIC cannot change this call.

Quote:
I admitted to both coaches what happened. I admitted I may have been wrong, but I couldn't change it, because there was no other evidence to back up a reversal, except for my hunch that I had the wrong call. Which, under the circumstances, was the only call I could make.

Now, as for the UIC reversing my call. As soon as he/she comes on my field, I will consider that a request to borrow my clicker, mask and shin guards. If I know him, I'll let him/her have them. I will not call ball for a UIC who walks on my field and pulls the rug out from under me. Is seems like I read it somewhere, but the UIC cannot change my call. If he comes out there, he/she has taken all the authority away from the umpiring team that he/she put on the field. I would expect my gear back by the end of the night, when he/she brought it to my house.
At the upper levels, I don't think you would have to worry about that happening. Every national which I have worked, it was common knowledge that the last place the UIC wanted to be seen was on the field. If a call was not protestable, you don't call for the UIC. What others do is their problem.

As a UIC, I don't want to go onto the field, but I have no problem going out there if necessary. I will go to the field on someone else's request, but I will not enter the field of play unless there is a valid protest and the umpires ask me to step onto the field.

The one thing that I want all umpires to realize is that once the UIC does enter the field, give them every bit of information available whether you think it is pertinent or not. The UIC is going to make a decision, either in support of the crew or the protesting team. However, the last thing the UIC needs is to make that ruling based on the information the umpires provided and then come to find out there was a serious omission.

Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

TexBlue,

If I came across as saying I would videotape them for the purpose of overturning calls, that's not what I do. I like to video tape for educational purposes (that's the teacher in me coming out) especially for younger umpires.

I'm not saying that I do it is the right way, but when I am UIC, and hear that nasty seven letter word "PROTEST" I talk to the umpires and the umpires only. I get the information from the play at least two times, and I also walk through it with them the way I understand it. Knock on wood, I've never had to rule in favor of the protesting team...always turned out to be the right call (only 1 protest).

Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

OK, I meant to say this on my last post, but I got so in involved with the idea of a UIC walking on to my field w/o a protest (which could not be valid in this case, as it was judgement) that I forgot. But......

A UIC cannot overrule a call.

Now, that I've gotten that off my chest, I have never had a problem with a coach protesting my rule interpretation. I'm usually kinda amused at the idea. Bring it on. I've only had 7 protests in my career, lost none of them. But this is the only time I feel a UIC is necessary on my field. If they show up any other time, I feel it is a statement that I cannot control the game and, if this is the case, I need to leave the premises. Because, I gurantee ya, I won't be able to control the game after they leave the field.

[Edited by TexBlue on Apr 27th, 2004 at 10:55 PM]
Old Wed Apr 28, 2004, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

OK, I meant to say this on my last post, but I got so in involved with the idea of a UIC walking on to my field w/o a protest (which could not be valid in this case, as it was judgement) that I forgot. But......

A UIC cannot overrule a call.

And I agree...

A UIC cannot change this call...it's a judgment call, right?

In the tournaments I've been UIC, I never overturn a call (never had to, always a judgment thing the coach was trying to protest). And you're right, if a UIC DOES overturn a call on the field, then they've completely undermined the umpires "perceived authority" for that game, and maybe the whole tournament.

Now, that I've gotten that off my chest, I have never had a problem with a coach protesting my rule interpretation. I'm usually kinda amused at the idea. Bring it on. I've only had 7 protests in my career, lost none of them. But this is the only time I feel a UIC is necessary on my field. If they show up any other time, I feel it is a statement that I cannot control the game and, if this is the case, I need to leave the premises. Because, I gurantee ya, I won't be able to control the game after they leave the field.

[Edited by TexBlue on Apr 27th, 2004 at 10:55 PM]
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 08:58pm
BBallCoach

Tex Blue,

I give you credit you admit you kicked it. Now realize all of those kids you let down, because you failed in your job, but at least you admit it and will hustle harder next time.

Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BBallCoach
[B]Tex Blue,

I give you credit you admit you kicked it. Now realize all of those kids you let down, because you failed in your job, but at least you admit it and will hustle harder next time.

BBallCoach,

Kinda reminds me about all the times when a game could have ended on a routine pop fly or routine grounder to the infield where the player chokes and now the game becomes tied and we go into extra innings.

Wouldn't you agree, that if the coach had been doing his/her job during practices, the team would not have failed. Maybe the teaching basics of catching balls and making plays would be in order.

Michael
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by BBallCoach
Tex Blue,

Well, all I gotta say to that is ya missed the whole stinkin' point. I WAS hustling. I am completely comfortable with what I did. I wouldn't take one more step or one less step or go any other direction. My mechanics were good, my positioning was good, my view was good. If that play happened again, just like it did this time, I'd do everything exactly like I did it this time.

If this still isn't good enough for ya, I got a old, worn out blue shirt with some stains on it ya can wear and come out and try to teach me something better. The quality of the shirt apparently matches your quality of knowledge on mechanics of umpiring. Or, ya can just stay on the board throwing out slop. Your choice. Try reading some of the posts on this subject, maybe even let a little of it sink into that thick coach's head of your's and learn. Or, just keep on spoutin' off, giving everybody a laugh at your expense. You been trollin for about a week on this. You finally got a bite.

Enjoy it.

That's 'nough on this subject.

[Edited by TexBlue on Apr 29th, 2004 at 11:04 PM]
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 11:58pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

I thought about deleting BBallCoach's post, but thought the better of it because it so perfectly shows what we as officials deal with every single game.

BBallCoach -- you say that TexBlue let the kids down, he was unprofessional, and you don't know how he sleeps at night -- because he missed a single play? And he admits it?!?

No one is perfect -- not officials, not coaches. I have seen many games lost at the end because of bad coaching. Whether it is not calling a timeout at a critical time, fouling too late, or simply drawing up a play that totally flops -- there are far too many examples to list where coaches have caused the loss of a game.

Should those coaches also not sleep at night because of what they have taken away from the kids?!?

Coaches always say that all they want is consistency. I'll give you consistency if you'll get rid of the hypocrisy.
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: This is awful

Quote:
Originally posted by BBallCoach
TexUmp,

As a coach I'm very disheartened to read your post about at championship game and you being screened on a play that impacts the outcome of the game. That is you job to physically move so you can see the play. Your going to tell me these girls were Shaq's size and you in your great athletic shape could not simply get around them or get there quickly enough to see the play. That is an injustice to all of those players on both teams that our out there busting their butts trying to win and the officials that are hired to give the kids the best game possible choke like that. If I was the coach I would have had many words with you and am disgusted by your lack of professionalism and ability to simply be in shape and move to the play. This is dishearting and I dont know how you sleep having taken the game away from the kids.

In the times we live a mistake might lead to consequences quite a bit more significant than who wins or loses a HS softball game. But you find the need to jump all over this guy simply because he regrets his performance in a HS softball game.

Simply put, you're an idiot.
Closed Thread