View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps

The game of FP Softball has progressed beyond the 2-Person Umpire System. I believe that not enough is being done to promote and implement 3-Umpires at the higher levels of play. Last year at the ASA 14-U National in Bloomington/Normal Il, we used 3 for everything beyond Pool Play. This year, I believe ASA is going back to 2 umpires except for the Semi-Finals On. Why?
Because there are not enough qualified umpires.
Quote:

Does it cost more? Yes.
Yes, it does cost more and the UIC is not the person paying for the umpires, the tournament host does. ALL slow pitch NT/NC games have been reduced to 2-umpire games for one purpose: save the hosts money.

Quote:
We are fortunate in that we work the majority of our games in the 3 Umpire system. It's to the point where we are almost uncomfortable working the 2 umpire system. We can do it, but would prefer not to.
Maybe in your area, not everywhere. It has gotten to the point around here that JV HS games are lucky to get ONE umpire. The bodies just aren't available. ASA umpire registration has dropped nearly 28% over the past fifteen years. Meanwhile, the youth program has gone through the roof and the adult SP programs still carry non-scholastic softball throughout the country.

Quote:
If money is an issue, I bet that people would be surprised at the number of us that would accept a lower game fee in return for working with 3. Further, I believe teams would be willing to pay a higher entry fee if they know 3-Umps will be used.
I bet you are wrong in parts of the country. It seems you assume that because something works in your area, it must be true everywhere. It's not.

Unfortunately, we have as many "greens" nowadays than we have blues. It is also unfortunate that the local/state/metros cannot necessarily do without them and cover the games being played.

Part of that reason is people like the S.F.B. above. If I had one umpire for every ten times I've heard, "No way, you guys get too much crap. Why would I want to do that?" from a person I'm attempting to recruit as an umpires, I wouldn't have a need for more umpires.

Quote:
I will get off my soap box now......I just whole heartedly believe in the 3-Umpire System. The players and coaches are working too hard these days and they deserve the very best we have to offer. In many cases, that will require 3 of us on the field.
They may work hard, but that doesn't mean their organizations are willing to pay the price. We routinely have softball clubs request umpires, but don't want to pay the standard rate for this area. But, not everything gets fixed by throwing money at it. If it did, some of this softball leagues and organizations wouldn't survive.