View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps

Maybe in your area, not everywhere. It has gotten to the point around here that JV HS games are lucky to get ONE umpire. The bodies just aren't available. ASA umpire registration has dropped nearly 28% over the past fifteen years. Meanwhile, the youth program has gone through the roof and the adult SP programs still carry non-scholastic softball throughout the country.

I work for an association...we have 175 umpires that are considered ACTIVE...meaning they work games. But not all of them work more than 2 nights a week...some for work conflicts, but mostly, from what I gather, because they don't want to call every night. That's fine, but to me, they shouldn't whine when they don't get the "primo" games...reward those who help the program, right?

In a "previous association" the assignor would assign two people to two different games. Then he would call each umpire up and say, "I'm sending so and so to this school instead of working with you. I'll find a replacement." And, low and behold, you get to the game and you work it by yourself. Of course, you get "double pay" but I'd rather have a partner than work a varsity game by myself...which is what we ended up doing quite often for this association.