View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE

So how do we solve the problem? As what our association considers a veteran (I'm 30, but have done ball for 11 years) I tend to get partnered with the new guys...so I not only have to umpire, but I have to teach while umpiring, and cover for him/her if he/she screws up. I've actually proposed a UIC type of thing...where someone goes and evaluates new umpires, give them pointers, etc. OUr association uses a mentorship program, but it's nothing formal...no structure...just someone to call if you have any questions. Maybe we should use the mentor as a coach...once a week, just go and watch a game with a new umpire. I don't know the solution.

What do all of you do? [/B]
Our group tries to keep the 1st year guys with one of about nine umpires who are really good at developing new folks for the 1st 3 weeks. After that, they have been exposed to the basics and are turned loose with the rest of the guys. We also have classes from the middle of January to the end of February. We also see the guys on the weekend and answer question and tell war stories and debate (rather loudly) rules and situations. All the guys know they can call me anytime or email me and I'll get back fairly quickly to them. I've noticed the quality of the 0-3 year guys has improved a lot and we seem to be retaining a lot more of the new guys.