View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 19, 2004, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct...There are no Guarantee's, but I will take my chances on a 3 person crew getting that call correct over a 2 person crew.

As for my comment....In our area, we don't have assigners(Non College). At (ASA) tournaments, we will have UIC's and a assigner but if the coaches/clubs want something, then they will find a way to get it done. Have I made that comment to a coach? Yes...Only after the game when I was confronted. Next year, we had 3 umpires.

Begin Rant

The game of FP Softball has progressed beyond the 2-Person Umpire System. I believe that not enough is being done to promote and implement 3-Umpires at the higher levels of play. Last year at the ASA 14-U National in Bloomington/Normal Il, we used 3 for everything beyond Pool Play. This year, I believe ASA is going back to 2 umpires except for the Semi-Finals On. Why?

Does it cost more? Yes. Does it require some more training? Yes. Does it require some coaches to learn something different about umpires? Yes.

We are fortunate in that we work the majority of our games in the 3 Umpire system. It's to the point where we are almost uncomfortable working the 2 umpire system. We can do it, but would prefer not to.

If money is an issue, I bet that people would be surprised at the number of us that would accept a lower game fee in return for working with 3. Further, I believe teams would be willing to pay a higher entry fee if they know 3-Umps will be used.

I will get off my soap box now......I just whole heartedly believe in the 3-Umpire System. The players and coaches are working too hard these days and they deserve the very best we have to offer. In many cases, that will require 3 of us on the field.

End Rant

[Edited by kellerumps on Apr 19th, 2004 at 11:37 PM]