View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 20, 2004, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
I agree that the issue with working a 3 man crew on most FP games has less to do with money and more to do with lack of qualified manpower. I am sure that Mike's statistics on the drop in umpiring over the last few years are accurate, as there seem to be less and less people wanting to get into the avocation. And even when you do get some new recruits, retaining them is next to impossible. How many times have we seen a promising recruit not come back for their sophomore year? I know that of the rookies that my HS chapter had last year, only about 15% returned for year two. I think what we really need to address is how to better retain our umpires.
So how do we solve the problem? As what our association considers a veteran (I'm 30, but have done ball for 11 years) I tend to get partnered with the new guys...so I not only have to umpire, but I have to teach while umpiring, and cover for him/her if he/she screws up. I've actually proposed a UIC type of thing...where someone goes and evaluates new umpires, give them pointers, etc. OUr association uses a mentorship program, but it's nothing formal...no structure...just someone to call if you have any questions. Maybe we should use the mentor as a coach...once a week, just go and watch a game with a new umpire. I don't know the solution.

What do all of you do?