The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 09:28am

Sometimes, I just love that guy - Triple H, that is. I could say I told you so, but it's pretty obvious.

I've been trying to tell Rut, for some time, that he is trying to baffle or B.S. someone who actually works this level. Maybe now, some of you will relax a little and realize that I either offer advice or correct the bad stuff here. That advice comes from experience and insight - not supposition and conjecture. This was just another example of charging in blindly and fighting a battle that can't be won. It's become a sad war.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 10:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Sometimes, I just love that guy - Triple H, that is. I could say I told you so, but it's pretty obvious.

I've been trying to tell Rut, for some time, that he is trying to baffle or B.S. someone who actually works this level. Maybe now, some of you will relax a little and realize that I either offer advice or correct the bad stuff here. That advice comes from experience and insight - not supposition and conjecture. This was just another example of charging in blindly and fighting a battle that can't be won. It's become a sad war.
No, actually what your post prove that no one seems to care but you. If the NCAA could give a damn if a Baseball Umpire gambles on another other sport that just goes to show what the public thinks about that level. You keep trying to convince everyone here how important you are and why people should agree with you on everything you say. Peter just illustrated my point. It is just baseball, it is not rocket science. I am glad you feel positive about your experiences and what they mean, but the rest of us could give a damn. I love baseball too, but I have enough sense to realize that most of the public could give a damn. Very seldom to umpires come here and talk extensively about college baseball or the umpires that work it. So no one really gives a damn if you work 10 D1 conferences here. Because I do not that most do not care. Many umpires here are much more concerned with the LL games they work than what you have done in your or my career. You obviously are not a respected or revered umpire in our parts, because you have given your resume 20,000 times and your identity is still a mystery to many. Just goes to show that the only people that seem to care about your accomplishments are those folks in your association.

How is the DVC coming?

Peace
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 11:18am

No, actually what your post prove that no one seems to care but you.

Yes, that is what it "prove".
••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• •

If the NCAA could give a damn if a Baseball Umpire gambles on another other sport that just goes to show what the public thinks about that level.

No, the NCAA has recognized that it is not a problem. Maybe, because we can control ourselves and only involve ourselves with what we know.
••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••

You keep trying to convince everyone here how important you are and why people should agree with you on everything you say. Peter just illustrated my point.

Yes, he did. He showed everyone that you are and were wrong. You had no idea what you were talking about, now the world has more proof. Thank you, Peter.
••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• •••••
It is just baseball, it is not rocket science. I am glad you feel positive about your experiences and what they mean, but the rest of us could give a damn. I love baseball too, but I have enough sense to realize that most of the public could give a damn. Very seldom to umpires come here and talk extensively about college baseball or the umpires that work it. So no one really gives a damn if you work 10 D1 conferences here. Because I do not that most do not care.

Translation in English, please?

Many umpires here are much more concerned with the LL games they work than what you have done in your or my career. You obviously are not a respected or revered umpire in our parts, because you have given your resume 20,000 times and your identity is still a mystery to many. Just goes to show that the only people that seem to care about your accomplishments are those folks in your association.

Do you know who I am? Maybe you should ask Bob Jenkins. I think your tune will change very quickly.
••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••

How is the DVC coming?

Fine, I understand that Jeff is busy scrambling for bodies even as we speak. It should be just a few months before the first phone calls start pouring in, begging us to take them back. It happened before, because some ADs thought they would be better off with another group. They were wrong then and will be back. Funny...but I could ask how Elgin and Wheaton Colege are? Did they come begging us to take them back? Yep...and at a rate increase!

[Edited by WindyCityBlue on Nov 2nd, 2004 at 12:11 PM]
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

How is the DVC coming?

Fine, I understand that Jeff is busy scrambling for bodies even as we speak. It should be just a few months before the first phone calls start pouing in, begging us to take them back. It happened before, because they thought they would be better off with another group. Funny...but I could ask how Elgin and Wheaton Colege are? Did they come begging us to take them back? Yep...and at a rate increase! [/B][/QUOTE]

I do basketball as well as baseball and I work for 5 different assignors (they all belong to different associations) and all of them know it and none of them will blackball me for doing this. In baseball this is not the case. I go to socials where we have our favorite beverage and pizzas and all of the assignors get along together. In fact if they need a game covered they help each other out. Do you know in basketball that there are numerous officials that belong to two or more associations? In baseball it's like warring camps. I doubt that the assignors could ever get together on a social occaision which I believe is a sad situation. I doubt that they would ever help each other out if they needed a game covered. In my opinion this is a disservice to the schools that need an umpire. And because of this you lost the DVC not because of the quality of your officials (Umps has many excellent offcials) but simply because you couldn't cover all of the scheduled games. If we all worked together this wouldn't have occurred. There are plenty of games to go around for anyone who wants to work.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 12:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Yes, that is what it "prove".
••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• •
I know you "Palm Pilot" excuse behind is not talking about me. You do that type of stuff on every single post and blame it on a piece of technology. I can admit that I messed up. That is the best you can do?

If the NCAA could give a damn if a Baseball Umpire gambles on another other sport that just goes to show what the public thinks about that level.

Quote:
No, the NCAA has recognized that it is not a problem. Maybe, because we can control ourselves and only involve ourselves with what we know.
••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••
No, the NCAA realizes that no one cares about college baseball. It has gets major coverage when the College World Series comes up. CBS dropped the College World Series when the ratings dropped on their network and they discovered that could do better with golf on that same day. I love college baseball a lot, but the public could give a damn. Which I find funny you keep trying to show your importance in this issue.

Quote:
Yes, he did. He showed everyone that you are and were wrong. You had no idea what you were talking about, now the world has more proof. Thank you, Peter.
Actually, he called both of us wrong. You attend NCAA Meetings for baseball, I have never attended on. I have attended a Football Meeting and a Basketball Meeting and they show tapes on Gambling. It is in the agenda. But people bet on those sports when it is two teams you did not know had a basketball program.

Quote:
Translation in English, please?
Maybe I should blame it on a Palm Pilot?

Quote:
Do you know who I am? Maybe you should ask Bob Jenkins. I think your tune will change very quickly.
••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••
I see you keep dropping names to think that is suppose to have some profound affect on me. Bob is a good guy and he is a very good official, but the last time I checked Bob is just another official I know. I sat at a table with all these individuals you like to throw out there and your name or this site did not come up once. Nothing about your organization or (3 of the people were members BTW) or the issues you keep talking about. I can see it is all about you.

Quote:
Fine, I understand that Jeff is busy scrambling for bodies even as we speak. It should be just a few months before the first phone calls start pouing in, begging us to take them back. It happened before, because they thought they would be better off with another group. Funny...but I could ask how Elgin and Wheaton Colege are? Did they come begging us to take them back? Yep...and at a rate increase!
I made the statement not to talk about who got it, but to point out that you claimed your group was so much better than anyone else, you lost probably the best baseball conference (your words) in the state to another organization. I work where ever and when ever. I do not put my schedule in the hands of one organization or one assignor. So you can talk about two colleges that I do not work, nor care to work. As I have stated to you before, I might not work much baseball this year or afterwards because I have other committments that might get in the way. But I did not come on this site to put down everyone else and their organization the way you did. But now that great organization lost a major baseball conference for the second time that I have been living in this area. You can bring up Jeff and his struggles all you want, but your organization lost this conference again. I have worked in the DVC in Football and I will take that any day over a baseball game in that conference. But then again, this is a life changing event in your life, I could give a damn. I just do not understand why you are so concerned with two D3 schools when you are suppose to be the man at the D1 level? Maybe that just shows how much you are not the man.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 12:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307

I do basketball as well as baseball and I work for 5 different assignors (they all belong to different associations) and all of them know it and none of them will blackball me for doing this.
I work for more than 5, but I do games well outside of the Chicago area. But what you are saying is very true.

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
In baseball this is not the case. I go to socials where we have our favorite beverage and pizzas and all of the assignors get along together. In fact if they need a game covered they help each other out. Do you know in basketball that there are numerous officials that belong to two or more associations? In baseball it's like warring camps. I doubt that the assignors could ever get together on a social occaision which I believe is a sad situation. I doubt that they would ever help each other out if they needed a game covered. In my opinion this is a disservice to the schools that need an umpire. And because of this you lost the DVC not because of the quality of your officials (Umps has many excellent offcials) but simply because you couldn't cover all of the scheduled games. If we all worked together this wouldn't have occurred. There are plenty of games to go around for anyone who wants to work.

What Gordon says is exactly the truth and been my problem with Baseball in this area. Guys are much more concerned about organizations, instead of hiring the best umpires available. That is why one conference or one school keeps changing assignors every other year. If the assignors would stop trying to hold allegiances to a group of people that happen to pay dues to one organization. In football there is an assignors meeting where all the Chicago area assignors come and choose crews in a "draft" like selection process and pick their crews based on other assignments or availability of the crew. They work together and pump up the good crews and hire who is available with every assignor knowing who works for whom. I have even heard they will trade games to help another assignor out with an opening. No organization affiliations or picking only people from on area. They hire you based on what you have proven in the past and where you are willing to go. You might one year have 3 games from one conference and the next year get none depending on several factors. But you do not get hired based on the only one organization you belong.

There are not enough umpires in baseball (in our state and area) to be picky about who works and who does not work with a group. It is sad that baseball in our area is reduced to fighting between organizations, rather than who can work and who cannot work. One of the many reasons I am not looking for a future in baseball as the basis of my officiating career.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 02:43pm

Has everyone else stopped laughing at his post, yet?

Typos are VERY different from poor English. I can cite several in your last that made me wet my pants. Please stop...I can't take it anymore.

Oh, BTW, how did Peter say I was wrong. I read his statement several times and can't figure out how you can surmise that. I only talked about baseball, you referred to other sports. I only talked about what occurs at the D-1 baseball level; you pretended to know and showed all of us that you didn't have a clue!

I'm still waiting for anyone to show me how I was wrong. You are standing all alone, here. That must be a terrible feeling.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 02:45pm

From gordon30307 -

And because of this you lost the DVC not because of the quality of your officials (Umps has many excellent offcials) but simply because you couldn't cover all of the scheduled games. If we all worked together this wouldn't have occurred. There are plenty of games to go around for anyone who wants to work.

••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••

From WCB-
I despise lies and loose ends, so here goes. I will explain what happened, without using names and ridiculing those involved.

The DVC asked for UMPS to make a presentation to the ADs for the next contract period. A couple of reps went on our behalf and were met with some concerns, but nothing unusual. One of the new DVC ADs is fresh from one of our rival groups's schools. He had a good relationship with that assignor and informed him of our proposal. That assignor then made his presentation, armed with the ammo he needed. I respect that he was able to get the job done, but donÂ’t pretend that he did not sabotage our proposal. Now, we will watch them flounder about, scrapping to fill those games. When the DVC crosses over and plays a team from the WSC or another conference. They will be met by three of our studs (not two available bodies), to see what they are missing. This is what happens when one group thinks that they can act with impunity. A few years ago, the same thing happened to Elgin and Wheaton (hey, we know someone who lives there.) Colleges. They left our group for greener pastures and called us to come back - no solicitation needed.

What this says about baseball organizations in the Chicago area is that the competition for the almighty dollar is fierce...nothing more. Yes, we have many umpires that are looking for good games. I hate to break this to you, but not all of them are worthy of the challenge. There are good reasons that those DVC games went uncovered. First and foremost is there are so many games out there, guys can decide that they don’t want to work underlevel games. Communication was a problem - with rain outs and rescheduling, the pool of available guys changes daily. With regards to that, we dropped the ball and knew it. It was embarrassing and unfortunate for those guys that busted their a**es all year. Lastly, loyalty to a group is not what it used to be. We schedule our members at the beginning of the year and rely on them to call when they have an open date or a rain out kills us. Sometimes they get a phone call from another assignor who has a “better” game and they call back to say, “I’ve got a doctor’s appointment/my car broke down/my wife has to work late/etc.” It’s a joke.

Our group has been asked to take on some prime schools and weÂ’ve declined out of concern that our core schools would then receive an inferior product. That is going to happen with the DVC and the core schools of that organization, as well. If you only have so many good umpires and you add clients, someone is not going to get the guys they think they should. So it then falls to independents to scramble and fill in. You may feel that you are just as capable and welcome the opportunity, but the proof is in the pudding. Baseball is an entirely different animal and the ADs demand accountability. Basketball games donÂ’t get rained out. I canÂ’t recall the last football game that got cancelled because of the weather. Yet, in baseball, you have a whole lot of games that are at the mercy of Mother Nature. Further, because most conferences alternate days of the week for games and you see what happens when MondayÂ’s game is rained out and they want to make it up on Tuesday. Uh, oh, those umpires are assigned to another game already!

IÂ’m praying for a whole lot of rain in March and April. By the end of May, theyÂ’ll be calling us again. But this time, the price goes up!
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 03:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
From gordon30307 -

And because of this you lost the DVC not because of the quality of your officials (Umps has many excellent offcials) but simply because you couldn't cover all of the scheduled games. If we all worked together this wouldn't have occurred. There are plenty of games to go around for anyone who wants to work.

••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••

From WCB-
I despise lies and loose ends, so here goes. I will explain what happened, without using names and ridiculing those involved.

The DVC asked for UMPS to make a presentation to the ADs for the next contract period. A couple of reps went on our behalf and were met with some concerns, but nothing unusual. One of the new DVC ADs is fresh from one of our rival groups's schools. He had a good relationship with that assignor and informed him of our proposal. That assignor then made his presentation, armed with the ammo he needed. I respect that he was able to get the job done, but donÂ’t pretend that he did not sabotage our proposal. Now, we will watch them flounder about, scrapping to fill those games. When the DVC crosses over and plays a team from the WSC or another conference. They will be met by three of our studs (not two available bodies), to see what they are missing. This is what happens when one group thinks that they can act with impunity. A few years ago, the same thing happened to Elgin and Wheaton (hey, we know someone who lives there.) Colleges. They left our group for greener pastures and called us to come back - no solicitation needed.

What this says about baseball organizations in the Chicago area is that the competition for the almighty dollar is fierce...nothing more. Yes, we have many umpires that are looking for good games. I hate to break this to you, but not all of them are worthy of the challenge. There are good reasons that those DVC games went uncovered. First and foremost is there are so many games out there, guys can decide that they don’t want to work underlevel games. Communication was a problem - with rain outs and rescheduling, the pool of available guys changes daily. With regards to that, we dropped the ball and knew it. It was embarrassing and unfortunate for those guys that busted their a**es all year. Lastly, loyalty to a group is not what it used to be. We schedule our members at the beginning of the year and rely on them to call when they have an open date or a rain out kills us. Sometimes they get a phone call from another assignor who has a “better” game and they call back to say, “I’ve got a doctor’s appointment/my car broke down/my wife has to work late/etc.” It’s a joke.

Our group has been asked to take on some prime schools and weÂ’ve declined out of concern that our core schools would then receive an inferior product. That is going to happen with the DVC and the core schools of that organization, as well. If you only have so many good umpires and you add clients, someone is not going to get the guys they think they should. So it then falls to independents to scramble and fill in. You may feel that you are just as capable and welcome the opportunity, but the proof is in the pudding. Baseball is an entirely different animal and the ADs demand accountability. Basketball games donÂ’t get rained out. I canÂ’t recall the last football game that got cancelled because of the weather. Yet, in baseball, you have a whole lot of games that are at the mercy of Mother Nature. Further, because most conferences alternate days of the week for games and you see what happens when MondayÂ’s game is rained out and they want to make it up on Tuesday. Uh, oh, those umpires are assigned to another game already!

IÂ’m praying for a whole lot of rain in March and April. By the end of May, theyÂ’ll be calling us again. But this time, the price goes up!
That is the biggest bunch of crap I think I have read in a long time.

Mother Nature? It was Mother Nature?

OK, and the tooth fairy is responsible for your supposed success.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
[B]From gordon30307 -

Baseball is an entirely different animal and the ADs demand accountability. Basketball games donÂ’t get rained out. I canÂ’t recall the last football game that got cancelled because of the weather. Yet, in baseball, you have a whole lot of games that are at the mercy of Mother Nature. Further, because most conferences alternate days of the week for games and you see what happens when MondayÂ’s game is rained out and they want to make it up on Tuesday. Uh, oh, those umpires are assigned to another game already!

I agree 100% in what you say. All the more reason for the assignors to work together rather than against each other. From my perspective all I'm interested in is working games I'm not interested in the politics. Like most umpires my schedule is pretty much done by January. Concerning rainouts my game in the South may be cancelled, and my assignor might have nowhere to send me. Wouldn't it be nice if my assignor referred me to another assignor who needed a game filled? I'm happy because I'm working. The other assignor is happy because he got a game filled. I know this is wishful thinking and with baseball I know it probably won't happen.

Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 04:03pm

Please show me where I said that the DVC was the best baseball conference in the state. I never did, but I have said that we have the best conferences (plural) in the state. We still do.

I'm not sure why you keep putting down NCAA D-1 baseball. I've never said it was teh be all end all of civilization, but it is the brass ring you'll not grasp.

Finally, the lies need to stop. You keep saying that I'm hiding, but I've provided you with someone who can fill that void in your life. Now, you've put him down. Bob Jenkins can umpire circles around you. I never told this Board that I saw you workl last year. I kept it quiet since the battles had died down for a while. But, I saw you work a game between Carmel and Warren last year. Your plate work was ridiculous and Gandlofi let you here about it on numerous occasions. You don't understand what a swing is, since you called them on people who positioned the bat for a bunt, but pulled it back prior to offering at the pitch. Both coaches and your partner were laughing at you. You may want to actually come out from behind the plate on infield balls in play with no one on. Standing there just looks pathetic. Finally, because you keep telling us that baseball isn't your best sport, you may want to keep track of balls and strikes better. You got caught twice!

You made this personal and used the names of groups. Once again, you've shown your true colors. I just report the facts...interpret them as you like.
Closed Thread