View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

How is the DVC coming?

Fine, I understand that Jeff is busy scrambling for bodies even as we speak. It should be just a few months before the first phone calls start pouing in, begging us to take them back. It happened before, because they thought they would be better off with another group. Funny...but I could ask how Elgin and Wheaton Colege are? Did they come begging us to take them back? Yep...and at a rate increase! [/B][/QUOTE]

I do basketball as well as baseball and I work for 5 different assignors (they all belong to different associations) and all of them know it and none of them will blackball me for doing this. In baseball this is not the case. I go to socials where we have our favorite beverage and pizzas and all of the assignors get along together. In fact if they need a game covered they help each other out. Do you know in basketball that there are numerous officials that belong to two or more associations? In baseball it's like warring camps. I doubt that the assignors could ever get together on a social occaision which I believe is a sad situation. I doubt that they would ever help each other out if they needed a game covered. In my opinion this is a disservice to the schools that need an umpire. And because of this you lost the DVC not because of the quality of your officials (Umps has many excellent offcials) but simply because you couldn't cover all of the scheduled games. If we all worked together this wouldn't have occurred. There are plenty of games to go around for anyone who wants to work.