The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Issue: New NFHS lacrosse rule for 2005: all helmets must be the same color. Our league does not want to use this rule because of the cost associated with purchasing new helmets (Our league is not AIA sanctioned or a member of the NFHS). I have argued that there is also a player safety concern similar to the jersey specification change.

The insurance carrier has the following statement on their website:
“The US Lacrosse Insurance Program has been coordinated by US Lacrosse, the national governing body of men's and women's lacrosse, to establish standards for amateur field lacrosse activities in which rules written by or recognized/endorsed by US Lacrosse are used. Minor modifications of those rules will not affect the insurance coverage as long as the modifications do not challenge the intent of the rules or jeopardize player safety.”

US Lacrosse has the following statement on their website:
“The following rules are an excerpt from the National Federation of State High School Associations' 2003 Boys' Lacrosse Rules Book, endorsed by US Lacrosse.”

To the best of my knowledge there is no definition of "minor modifications" or an approval process (form) in place for "minor modifications of those rules". I have gone through my USL district governer in the past with other rule modification questions and have never received an official statement from USL....always someone's opinion.

My question for USL: Is removing the "same color helmet requirement" a minor modification and does it challenge the intent of the rules or jeopardize player safety?

My questions to you guys: How are rule modifications handled in your league?

Has there ever been a case where a league was held liable for modifications it made to NFHS rules?