View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
[B]From gordon30307 -

Baseball is an entirely different animal and the ADs demand accountability. Basketball games don’t get rained out. I can’t recall the last football game that got cancelled because of the weather. Yet, in baseball, you have a whole lot of games that are at the mercy of Mother Nature. Further, because most conferences alternate days of the week for games and you see what happens when Monday’s game is rained out and they want to make it up on Tuesday. Uh, oh, those umpires are assigned to another game already!

I agree 100% in what you say. All the more reason for the assignors to work together rather than against each other. From my perspective all I'm interested in is working games I'm not interested in the politics. Like most umpires my schedule is pretty much done by January. Concerning rainouts my game in the South may be cancelled, and my assignor might have nowhere to send me. Wouldn't it be nice if my assignor referred me to another assignor who needed a game filled? I'm happy because I'm working. The other assignor is happy because he got a game filled. I know this is wishful thinking and with baseball I know it probably won't happen.