The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Robert, the clock will stop to enforce the penalty but then it will be wound on the ready for play. One of the reasons this was done, as bison said, was to prevent Team A from unfairly scrambling to spike the ball. New this year also to NCAA, there is also a 10 second subtraction from the game clock in this case if there is less than a minute to go in the half and either team commits a foul that stops the clock.

We're not using the 10 second subtraction in Texas HS...yet.
Thanks Welpe. If you did not see the UNC-UT bowl game, UNC ran a play that ended with the clock running and about 10 seconds remaining. There was confusion on the sideline as they initially sent in their FG team and then some came off. The QB got to the line to snap the ball and spike it but they had probably 15+ players on the field with several of them trying to run off. They were probably guilty of illegal shift, illegal motion, and illegal substitution (not the kind that would have been a dead ball foul last year). After the spike the clock read 0 and the officials declared the game over. UT coaches came on the field celebrating a nice bowl win and everyone was happy.

Except there was a review that determined the game clock should still have 1 second remaining. The officials enforced the penalty (I believe they went with illegal shift) and wound the clock on the ready. While all this was going on, UNC got their FG team ready and snapped it as soon as the RFP was blown. The kick was good and UNC won in OT.

The talk of a 10-second subtraction started immediately. Under the old rules though, this foul would not have had a 10-second reduction because the foul itself did not stop the clock (it was the incomplete pass). Adding a rule that if all 11 players are not set before the snap, it is a dead ball false start which would stop the clock. The two rules by themselves would not have changed the outcome last year but combined the game would have been over.

For Robert's benefit, the offended team can decline the 10-second reduction. If they accept the reduction, the clock always starts on the RFP. If they decline the reduction, the clock starts on the snap. This overrides any other rules about starting the clock.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope, guess they decided it wasn't needed at the high school level since we're using the 2005 timing rules anyways.

5 timeouts?! Holy cow, why so many?
I wish I knew, haha. it's nuts. 3 fulls and 2 twenty second TO's per team per half.

can make for a long game when 19 TOs are called.

also fun:

coach: timeout
me: ok, full or 20?
coach: [not answering]
me: [knowing I need to let my WH know which variety] coach, full or 20?
coach: [still not answering]
me: ok we're going full. [I signal WH; WH begins to signal full TO]
coach: make it a TWENTY!

[cue the WH/HC argument]
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 01:32pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
I can't believe they would want to enforce that against a team which is trying to consume time. Can the time deduction be declined?
Yes, the offended team has the option accept the time deduction or not.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 01:35pm
Archaic Power Monger

chyme, jeepers creepers! Sounds like somebody took the basketball rule (3 fulls, 2 20s) and went wild with it.

I can't believe they'd change a fundamental commonality between all rule sets. Weird.
Old Sat Oct 01, 2011, 05:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
chyme, jeepers creepers! Sounds like somebody took the basketball rule (3 fulls, 2 20s) and went wild with it.

I can't believe they'd change a fundamental commonality between all rule sets. Weird.
I heard they're giving 5 timeouts in baseball next season, too. It's true, it's true.
Old Sat Oct 01, 2011, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then I guess you didn't realize the 3 major USAn football codes started as one.
Old Sat Oct 01, 2011, 05:25pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Then I guess you didn't realize the 3 major USAn football codes started as one.
Then I guess you like to make assumptions not grounded in fact.