The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Rule change this year. 7-1-2-b-5 on page FR-67.

"The offensive team never coming to a one-second stop prior to the snap after the ball is ready for play."
Yep. Those rule changes will catch up to those who don't keep up with them. What kind of pie do you like mbcrowder, or how you like your crow cooked.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisref2 View Post
Well, actually it is if you want to help someone understand the rule rather than just answering a rule question by quoting the rule (if he understood the rule, he wouldn't be asking the question in the first place!).
Disagree. We don't teach people to understand the rule by teaching them concepts that have nothing to do with those in the rule. "Normally do" and "simulating action at the snap" are unrelated.

We teach people to understand the rule by using video, on-field training, and discussion to show them they types of play that do and do not fall under the prohibition of the rule. That way they learn to recognize "simulating action at the snap" and other concepts in the rules.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

"The offensive team never coming to a one-second stop prior to the snap after the ball is ready for play."
Must be a Texas thing. Not NFHS.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

yeha, he said it was NCAA!
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ia-Ref View Post
Must be a Texas thing. Not NFHS.
Texas uses NCAA rules for football.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for beating me to it Welpe......hmmm, looks like I DO have a clue after all....
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
Yep. Those rule changes will catch up to those who don't keep up with them. What kind of pie do you like mbcrowder, or how you like your crow cooked.
Pie, please. Apple if possible. I am not doing football this year for the first time in forever. So --- I apologize both for being wrong and for being kind of a jackwagon about it. <--- where's my emoticon for sheepish grin???

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And the reason for this rule change was so a team scrambling to the ball in the final seconds but never getting set could be guilty of a foul that stops the clock and is subject to a 10-second reduction. Both of these are directly in response to the UNC-UT bowl game last year.

The side effect is the team that breaks the huddle and then snaps the ball before the wideout gets to his position is now a dead ball false start rather than a live ball illegal shift. That's a fair trade off.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

No worries mb! We are all here to get better, and besides, I know better than to mess with Texas anyway!
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
And the reason for this rule change was so a team scrambling to the ball in the final seconds but never getting set could be guilty of a foul that stops the clock
Once the ball became dead, wouldn't you stop the clock (if necessary) to present the option to team B and enforce the penalty if chosen? So how does this change affect the status of the clock?
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 08:04pm
Archaic Power Monger

Robert, the clock will stop to enforce the penalty but then it will be wound on the ready for play. One of the reasons this was done, as bison said, was to prevent Team A from unfairly scrambling to spike the ball. New this year also to NCAA, there is also a 10 second subtraction from the game clock in this case if there is less than a minute to go in the half and either team commits a foul that stops the clock.

We're not using the 10 second subtraction in Texas HS...yet.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Texas uses NCAA rules for football.
Massachusetts too.

so texas didn't take the 10 second subtraction, huh? Mass did. but with each side getting 5 timeouts per half, I dont imagine we'll be doing too many runoffs.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 09:13am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post

so texas didn't take the 10 second subtraction, huh? Mass did. but with each side getting 5 timeouts per half, I dont imagine we'll be doing too many runoffs.
Nope, guess they decided it wasn't needed at the high school level since we're using the 2005 timing rules anyways.

5 timeouts?! Holy cow, why so many?
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
New this year also to NCAA, there is also a 10 second subtraction from the game clock in this case if there is less than a minute to go in the half and either team commits a foul that stops the clock.
I can't believe they would want to enforce that against a team which is trying to consume time. Can the time deduction be declined?
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
I can't believe they would want to enforce that against a team which is trying to consume time. Can the time deduction be declined?
Yes, it can be declined. Just like in the NFL.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.