Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 08, 2010, 09:44pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
While hypothetical.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
This play was shown ad nauseam on SportsCenter tonight (Monday) as well as on the MNF pre-game show.
As I was watching this "ad nauseum", I constantly thought, what would happen if a LB or safety absolutely cleaned this kids clock. I mean, the kid is so defenseless (good acting), but, how would mom and dad, coach, teammates, etc, react if this kid gets hammered? Legally. Not too funny then..... hypothetical of course.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
As I was watching this "ad nauseum", I constantly thought, what would happen if a LB or safety absolutely cleaned this kids clock. I mean, the kid is so defenseless (good acting), but, how would mom and dad, coach, teammates, etc, react if this kid gets hammered? Legally. Not too funny then..... hypothetical of course.
I expect you'll have a chance to find out during your first peewee game next year, after the coaches have had a year to figure out how to run it and how to defend it. All without much thought to whether it's legal.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

YouTube - Trick Play in football gone bad

Yeah, makes Coach look pretty stupid if it doesn't work!
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
YouTube - Trick Play in football gone bad

Yeah, makes Coach look pretty stupid if it doesn't work!
Looks like the officials actually change the ball after the down.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
In Texas (NCAA) this should have been shut down as an illegal snap. There's a pretty good chance there was some verbiage by the coach and QB that would have turned this into an unsportsmanlike foul had the snap been legal. Since the snap didn't leave the snappers hands immediately this is a dead ball foul.
Actually, there's an excellent chance of verbiage making this illegal. Saw the interview on CNN with the coach. The play involves drawing a defensive encroachment, followed by the coach shouting in that the officials did not mark off the penalty correctly and the QB should just do it and the QB responding.
Sorry coach, you've just committed an unsportsmanlike act. Try again.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I expect you'll have a chance to find out during your first peewee game next year, after the coaches have had a year to figure out how to run it and how to defend it. All without much thought to whether it's legal.
An example of why it's so important to ask, what seems like such a basic question, "Any unusual plays you're thinkg of using today, Coach". Of course there's really no defense against a coach who chooses not to answer, but hopefully some who might be considering this type play will bring it up providing you with the opportunity to explain why it will be illegal, and help avoid the coach from embarrassing himself.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

The weird stuff is coming out of the woodwork this week. Receiver does handsprings while in motion

Any thoughts on the ejection?
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
The weird stuff is coming out of the woodwork this week. Receiver does handsprings while in motion

I don't know why the player was ejected. The article mentioned a tinted visor while one of the comments referened the player saying something to the official.

As for the coach, watching the video it appears as if about the :40 mark one of the assistant coaches leans in and yells something at the wing official. The wing official then throws his flag and points at the assistant coach who is walking away. So the coach ejection may have been for two USC's on his sideline. Just guessing. But I certainly see the wing pointing at an assistant coach after his flag.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 12:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeRef View Post
I don't know why the player was ejected. The article mentioned a tinted visor while one of the comments referened the player saying something to the official.

As for the coach, watching the video it appears as if about the :40 mark one of the assistant coaches leans in and yells something at the wing official. The wing official then throws his flag and points at the assistant coach who is walking away. So the coach ejection may have been for two USC's on his sideline. Just guessing. But I certainly see the wing pointing at an assistant coach after his flag.
If you look over on Deadspin, it's reported that the coach brought this up before the game, was told that it would get flagged, and then decided to run it anyway.

So they had it coming. QED.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

If what the coach says is true, it's hard to eject a kid for excessive celebration after numerous dead/live ball penalties on a PAT. If we had told a coach that you could not run the play because it was illegal and he did it anyway, then you just penalize him the 15 USC penalty and move on. Maybe the missing aspect is that it was his second USC and he was shown the door for that.

Maybe this paragraph supports the theory:
Precisely why the pair was given the boot is uncertain. GoBlueRidge.net reported that the two were kicked out because of the play itself, but the penalty was not technically due an ejection, so other possibilities are available. One of those was provided to RivalsHigh senior analyst Dallas Jackson, who had a source report that Haas was ejected because of an earlier flag for a tinted visor and Pruitt was banned because of an additional unsportsmanlike penalty assessed for an inappropriate comment from a Watauga assistant coach.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 12:44pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by the head coach
I don't feel I deserved to be ejected
You're entitled to that opinion; however, your opinions on this matter are irrelevant.

Quote:
I hate I got kicked out and it's only the second time it's ever happened in my head-coaching career (the other time was at Cherryville). We were at the 18-yard line. How many times are you going to make a two-point conversion from the 18?
I've seen 2 15+ yard 2 point conversions in games I've worked in 2010 alone, but I agree, it's not a high-percentage play. Perhaps that should've been taken into account by your players and/or coaches before committing whatever penalty caused you to be backed up 15 yards for the try?

Quote:
We met with the officials before the game and they didn't say anything about trick plays. I was the one that brought it up.
This is why my white-hat always asks coaches in our pregame conference: "is there anything that you might do tonight, trick plays, unusual formations, etc, that we need to know about?"

Quote:
I knew we were going to get flagged, but I decided to run the play anyway.
Ummm... what did you possibly hope to accomplish by running the play? If you knew the play was illegal (presumably because the officials told you so)... you've just basically admitted that your best-case scenario is a repeat of the try from the 33-yard line.

Quote:
Looking back at it, obviously it wasn't a good decision. But if he had told me he was kicking me out of the game for it, I would have never ran it.
Watch the video coach. The White-hat throws the first USC flag for the handspringing player (probably actually calling it on the you for calling the play in the first place). Then a minute later, the wing official throws an USC flag on one of your coaches. Bam, two USC flags, enjoy the parking lot.

If you deliberately run a play that the officials have EXPLICITLY TOLD YOU IS ILLEGAL, you pretty much have to expect that the officials won't take kindly to you basically daring them to flag you for it.

I have no problems with ejecting the coach for this.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

What about the illegal formation? Only 6 on the LOS. The wing and top WR are not on the LOS. The L touches the bill of his hat for 3 on the LOS on his side. LJ gives no signal.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
There's no requirement that it leave the snapper's hand immediately (or you are unclear as to what you mean by that).
'

Under NFHS rules, the ball must leave the snapper's hand immediately.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

This play happened in NC.

Under the NCHSAA Ejection Policy, "any delayed, excessive or prolonged act by which a player attempts to focus attention upon himself," (9-5-1c) is considered taunting/baiting and results in an ejection. That includes waving the ball at a defender on a TD run or diving into the end zone. The ejection carries a one game suspension.

The coach was also assessed a USC foul because he was told prior to the game that the play was illegal and chose to run it anyway. As he had already been flagged for a player wearing a tinted visor, he was ejected for two USC fouls.

Also, the coach told a friend of mine that runs a HS sports website that he was misquoted. He said had he known the player would have been ejected, he would not have run the play.

Old Tue Nov 09, 2010, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

This play happened in NC.

Under the NCHSAA Ejection Policy, "any delayed, excessive or prolonged act by which a player attempts to focus attention upon himself," (9-5-1c) is considered taunting/baiting and results in an ejection. That includes waving the ball at a defender on a TD run or diving into the end zone. The ejection carries a one game suspension.

The coach was also assessed a USC foul because he was told prior to the game that the play was illegal and chose to run it anyway. As he had already been flagged for a player wearing a tinted visor, he was ejected for two USC fouls.

Also, the coach told a friend of mine that runs a HS sports website that he was misquoted. He said had he known the player would have been ejected, he would not have run the play.

Either way, it's pretty stupid to run the play if you know it's going to draw a flag.