The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Only in Middle School Ball

After doing 2 HS playoff games this week, I found myself on the middle school field today. I went out there with a grin and bear it mindset and would up having a great time.

The game featured:

1. Twice the defense walked off the field with 2 outs and runners on base
2. 3 LBR violations, a couple more where LBR would have been called if F1 didn't cock her arm with ball in hand, though I doubt that the runners understood the significance of that
3. One play where there are 2 runners on 3B and the defense tags the wrong one
4. One play with 2 on base, where defenseive coach comes onto the field calling "time" to change her F1 after a walk, and BR is 1/3 way to first so I tell coach to wait, then F1 sees she's getting yanked and as BR is nearing 1B, drops the ball to the ground and starts toward the dugout while the coach walks toward the circle, I tell the coach, you don't have time and the offensive coaches finally figure out that they can tell their runners to take off
5. More uncalled IP's of the ticky tack variety than I could count.

But with all this crazyness going on, the girls played hard and the game was competitive enough to be entertaining. Though some of the players displayed some skill, most had little of that to offer, but everyone out there learned about the game of softball because I kept the game under control and applied the rules.

I made sure that I explained every call I made so the coaches (both sides) and parents could hear and understand them and some of the parents thanked me for the way I called the game.

The game gave me a chance to call some rules I haven't had to call forever and was great for the experience of handling crazy situations on the fly.

I'm thinking that it would probably be good to get a few of these games per year as an exercise in dealing with the unexpected. Even working our rec FP league doesn't give you this type of experience because the rec league girls are well enough coached and skilled that they don't usually blunder like this. Though the same can't be said for some of our middle schools, somehow this was a fun and positive game.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

I got called to fill in on a middle school game that got turned back. Was told standard FED rules applied. Should have known I was in trouble when in coaches meeting I asked if players were properly and legally equipped and both coaches just looked at me and said, huh? I told them, no jewelry, hair pins etc. Both coaches said that was the first they had ever heard of the rule. First batter has on 2 rings, a bracelet and necklace.

Someone had a whistle they were blowing occasionally off to my right. Batter comes up to bat, suddenly I hear what appears to be the whistle coming from center field just as the pitcher released the ball, but cant see anyone with a whistle. Next pitch same thing. Just then the batter turns her head and I realize it is her that has the whistle. It is one of those flat disk ones that goes between the lips and teeth. I told her to get it out of her mouth and I didnt want to hear it again the rest of the game.

And all your typical stuff listed above pluse runners leading off like they were playing baseball etc.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
I got called to fill in on a middle school game that got turned back. Was told standard FED rules applied. Should have known I was in trouble when in coaches meeting I asked if players were properly and legally equipped and both coaches just looked at me and said, huh? I told them, no jewelry, hair pins etc. Both coaches said that was the first they had ever heard of the rule. First batter has on 2 rings, a bracelet and necklace.

Someone had a whistle they were blowing occasionally off to my right. Batter comes up to bat, suddenly I hear what appears to be the whistle coming from center field just as the pitcher released the ball, but cant see anyone with a whistle. Next pitch same thing. Just then the batter turns her head and I realize it is her that has the whistle. It is one of those flat disk ones that goes between the lips and teeth. I told her to get it out of her mouth and I didnt want to hear it again the rest of the game.

And all your typical stuff listed above pluse runners leading off like they were playing baseball etc.
Where are you at??? I have been doing school ball almost 20 () years, and the one thing that has stood out IS the improvement of play at the lower (JV & 7th/8th grade) levels. There are FAR fewer of the 37-34 nightmares you used to get, and far more kids who are ready to play when they hit school ball -the pitching and catching especially. The only place you get some of the suckier games is from some of the smaller schools, and from some of the schools whose programs have been, and always will be, hopeless.

One thing that has improved play/awareness around here is the proliferation of travel ball, especially in the bigger towns. For example, there was a 12U PONY tournament around here Mothers Day weekend, and almost all of the teams involved were from the immediate area, and there was a pretty good level of ball being played.
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Ahhh Middle School ball where...
A D3K can easily mean 4 bases.
There are usually 5 or more gloves with pink on them on the field at any time.
The travel ball players all have their own batting helmets and you can predict the outcome of the game by counting which team has the most.
Coaches instruct their runners to "Take a good lead off" before the pitcher releases the ball.
The parents tell their DD who has two strikes on her that "The next one has to be perfect."
The list goes on for sure.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtotheB View Post
Ahhh Middle School ball where...
A D3K can easily mean 4 bases.
There are usually 5 or more gloves with pink on them on the field at any time.
The travel ball players all have their own batting helmets and you can predict the outcome of the game by counting which team has the most.
Coaches instruct their runners to "Take a good lead off" before the pitcher releases the ball.
The parents tell their DD who has two strikes on her that "The next one has to be perfect."
The list goes on for sure.
I had one once where BOTH teams had a majority of TT helmets, Result: 2-1 in about 65 minutes....

And here in NY, there is NO D3K for 7/8th grade - and this year they instituted (FINALLY!) the 15 run mercy rule for that age level...

Most girls these days have pink in the glove....