The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I don't know. There's going to be at least one association that's going to focus on it. (I hope it's the one these guys belong to.) At the very least, I would guess a lot of association do a Don't-be-these-guys kind of thing.
Reportedly it WAS a major topic at that Chapter's weekly meeting following the game and the crew (younger officials) got "straightened out" as only we officials are able to do to one another.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike View Post
Reportedly it WAS a major topic at that Chapter's weekly meeting following the game and the crew (younger officials) got "straightened out" as only we officials are able to do to one another.
Why do I have a feeling a large bar tab was involved?
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Who said the ball has to go between the snapper's legs, just because there's a player there taking advantage of the positioning rule? It says he may receive the snap himself, not that he has to take it from between the legs.
I realize the player in position to receive the hand to hand snap doesn't have to actually receive the snap himself. What I was getting at was that a lineman cannot receive a snap. By rule, this QB meets all the requirements for being a lineman.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
I realize the player in position to receive the hand to hand snap doesn't have to actually receive the snap himself. What I was getting at was that a lineman cannot receive a snap. By rule, this QB meets all the requirements for being a lineman.
For NFHS, it depends on how you interpret "under": if it means "in a position to receive a hand-to-hand snap," then he's a back.

2-32-3: "A back is any A player who has no part of his body breaking the
plane of an imaginary line drawn parallel to the line of scrimmage through the
waist of the nearest teammate who is legally on the line, except for the player
under the snapper, who is also considered a back
."
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 01:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Bill LeMonnier and USA Football chime in

Peace
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike View Post
I think what he means is that when the QB is up in the line like he was here he needs to be in position to receive a hand to hand snap between the snapper's legs. If he is not, he will either be a lineman or a mugwomp. In this case he appeared to be just to the left of the snapper and up so close that by definition he was a lineman.

He knows all snaps do not have to be between the legs as we routinely see it done differently on swinging gate plays
I think he was still in position to receive a hand-to-hand snap between the legs had it been delivered there. Didn't we decide here a while ago that as long as a player could reach from where he was standing, that he would be considered "in position" to receive a hand-to-hand snap between the legs? So just because his hands were momentarily someplace else doesn't mean he wasn't in the right position.

However, breaking the plane of the snapper's waist is another story. I think there are probably times in a normal formation where the QB's head may be leaning over the snapper far enough to be breaking that plane, but it's well accepted that he has a right to be there -- unless some day you want to be strict about it because it gives an advantage on a sneak. If he puts his head to the left or right of the snapper, then I think he deserves greater scrutiny for breaking the plane and therefore being considered a line player.

There's a lot in this for me to think about as a coach inasmuch as I want to install the sidesaddle T.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
interesting that he considered the snap legal, saying nothing about its speed. I doubt USA Football's rules don't call for the snap to be quick, although it is conceivable inasmuch as Canadian rules don't.