The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Middle School Game

Had a middle school game today. 4th quarter, one of the V teams players fouls out. I go over to inform the coach, and he tells me he has a minute to provide a sub. I tell him he has 20 seconds, which he responds "I'm a high school coach, and I get 60 seconds." Idiots...Anyone else have any ridiculously wrong rules comments lately?
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

crazy coach!!!

Yes, team A pulls down defensive rebound and looks for an outlet pass. Team B player runs around the player that has the ball but steps out of bounds while trying for a tie-up. I call OOB on B1. B coach asks, how can it be out on us? we didn't have control of the ball.

Last edited by jeffro; Wed Feb 11, 2009 at 09:45pm. Reason: poor grammer
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Coach yells out He can't have knocked the ball out of bounds
he's only 4 foot six. (it was on a rebound play)
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Girls varsity game last night. H team has spot throw in under their basket. Thrower takes one small step with her left foot while throwing the ball in. One of the coaches on the V bench yells something to the effect of "She can't move on the throw in!"

Girls JV game today. Fans in the stands counting three seconds on the opposing team. On one of them, the team's center fell down in the lane during a scrum for the ball. Her team keeps possession and as she's starting to get up, this dweeb is up in the stands counting three seconds. On the other one, he's counting 1...2....3 while a shot is in the air and the rebounding action is going on. Idiot.

Last edited by zm1283; Thu Feb 12, 2009 at 02:44am.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 02:25am
In Time Out

I had one that made me crack up. Two weak middle school girls team and a parent yells DO a Sky Hook! If she had and made it I would have awarded her team 20 points for the shot.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 02:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs8207 View Post
Had a middle school game today. 4th quarter, one of the V teams players fouls out. I go over to inform the coach, and he tells me he has a minute to provide a sub. I tell him he has 20 seconds, which he responds "I'm a high school coach, and I get 60 seconds." Idiots...Anyone else have any ridiculously wrong rules comments lately?
I just tell the table, "Give me a 20 second clock, and a horn after 5 seconds." Did this genius do it within 20 seconds?
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Coach: "Hey, that's an intentional!"

Me: "Coach he didn't touch him."

Coach: "Well what would have been the call had he touched him?"

Me: (Oh boy...)
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

3 Seconds

I had a parent yelling 3 seconds while the other team was trying to inbound the ball. I don't make a habit of talking to fans, but during a break I explained to them there can't be 3 seconds during a inbound. He looked at me and said, "It was close though"
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs8207 View Post

Had a varsity game a few nights ago and one of my partners tells me in post game that coach was baffled why he called violation on his team as shot went over backboard. "it didn't hit anything"
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Yes, Monday we had a V coach argue early in the game that the offense cannot be called for a kicking violation (we had one on a loose ball, great call by one of my usual partners). Later, his assistant that had been a pain for too long got a T for arguing where the ball was to be put in after a TO. We were going across from the bench and he wanted to argue that it should have been at the bech because "that's where the TO was called." Long night at the office.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Girls HS JV game. Team A in the front court. A1 pass tipped by B1 and ball deflects into the backcourt. A1 goes into the backcourt to retrieve the ball and dribbles back into the front court. B coach starts chirping that it was a backcourt violation because Team A had team control. I didn't bother acknowledging him.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

7th grade conference game. Sideline inbounds near division line. Player A1throws a weak pass towards A2 in backcourt. B1 races over, steals the ball and scores - no whistle. Coach goes balistic wanting us to stop game because everyone knows there is a "no press" rule for middle school.

While I understood what he was saying - in our area grades 4 and 5 have no press until final two minutes of the half BUT grades 6 and up all use NFHS.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
7th grade conference game. Sideline inbounds near division line. Player A1throws a weak pass towards A2 in backcourt. B1 races over, steals the ball and scores - no whistle. Coach goes balistic wanting us to stop game because everyone knows there is a "no press" rule for middle school.

While I understood what he was saying - in our area grades 4 and 5 have no press until final two minutes of the half BUT grades 6 and up all use NFHS.
We have the same kind of no-pressing rules around here. They are good, especially for younger kids, but people tend to take them to the extreme. I had a situation a few weeks back where A1 and B1 were both fighting for the ball on a rebound in A1's front court. Neither player gained control and both eventually ended up holding the ball. Naturally, I whistled and called a held ball, but fans started chirping "No press!"
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I just tell the table, "Give me a 20 second clock, and a horn after 5 seconds." Did this genius do it within 20 seconds?
Yeah after the horn he finally figured that in a one point game, its dumb to give the opposing team two free throws and possession.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Mens league game, a guy complains about a carry on a high dribble. During half time he politely asked me why I didn't call it. I asked him why he thought it was a carry. He said, "Two reasons, first, the ball bounced higher than his head. Second, he took more than 2 steps while he was dribbling."

I told him that first it was simply a high dribble and second, you can take as many steps as you want while dribbling legally. He gave me a puzzled look and said, "I don't think that's right, you can only take 2 steps while dribbling." To which his teammate says to him, "He's the ref, he's probably read a rule book and I know you haven't."