The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
JR, please explain the play he is speaking of...I only saw parts of the 4th quarter. Was there a questionable call at the 1 yard line???
There was a kickoff by Nebraska in the 4th Quarter and the Texas player was receiving the kick and fell to the ground where he was laying on his side/stomach. The ball touched the Texas returner as he was on the ground but never controlled the ball. The replay clearly showed that there was no control but the official called the play dead, assuming there was possession. This all took place at the 1 yard line and Texas with a very slim lead was put on the 1 yard line. If I recall correctly, Texas did not score and gave Nebraska a short field on the next drive (I believe there was a turnover, but I do not remember) and Nebraska kicked a field goal to take the lead with only a minute or so. This call was huge in the game and affected the strategy of the game at that time and probably made Texas more conservative against a very good defense. And if Texas would have lost, that call would have been highlighted much more than it has been. I am not one who believes one missed called affects the outcome unless it is the very last play and even then there are a lot of things going on, but this was a bad missed call. Basically this was an inadvertent whistle not ruled as such. The game may have never come down to what it did without this situation.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

My problem is that the stadium clock in not the official game clock. All of the deep wings I've spoken either keep the whole game on thier watch or at a minimum the last 2-5 minutes of each half. All the referee had to do is ask the SJ what he had left on his watch and go from there.

I've heard stories (no idea how accurate) of crafty timers being able to start and stop the clock very quickly over a period of time, as to squeeze a few seconds without actually ever stopping the clock long enough to be noticed.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
It's truly a shame, Cobra, that you cannot give Nebraske the credit they deserve for playing an absolutely outstanding defensive game in coming so close to pulling off the upset of the season. Only a real fool keeps jabbering about that which they've proven not to understand.
Cobra, don't pay heed to anything that Alf chooses to post as most of it makes little sense and is rarely relevant. His communication skills are non-existent and his comprehension is very limited, although his last sentence, "Only a real fool keeps jabbering about that which they've proven not to understand.", is actually one of his best self-descriptions.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 03:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth View Post
My problem is that the stadium clock in not the official game clock. All of the deep wings I've spoken either keep the whole game on thier watch or at a minimum the last 2-5 minutes of each half. All the referee had to do is ask the SJ what he had left on his watch and go from there.

I've heard stories (no idea how accurate) of crafty timers being able to start and stop the clock very quickly over a period of time, as to squeeze a few seconds without actually ever stopping the clock long enough to be noticed.
You are right, but it is not practical. The game clock in the stadium is what is used unless there is a problem. This is why they reviewed the play. If the clock was started too early, they would have caught it. And this was a neutral site and I am sure there were people in specific roles that are not associated with either team were doing these types of official duties. And if that was not the case, I am sure Nebraska would be raising a stink over that very issue. Honestly in football if a second or two runs off is not an issue in the middle of the game. The only time we might correct a clock when it is egregious or very obvious there was a mistake. Minor mistakes are not an issue.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There was a kickoff by Nebraska in the 4th Quarter and the Texas player was receiving the kick and fell to the ground where he was laying on his side/stomach. The ball touched the Texas returner as he was on the ground but never controlled the ball. The replay clearly showed that there was no control but the official called the play dead, assuming there was possession. This all took place at the 1 yard line and Texas with a very slim lead was put on the 1 yard line. If I recall correctly, Texas did not score and gave Nebraska a short field on the next drive (I believe there was a turnover, but I do not remember) and Nebraska kicked a field goal to take the lead with only a minute or so. This call was huge in the game and affected the strategy of the game at that time and probably made Texas more conservative against a very good defense. And if Texas would have lost, that call would have been highlighted much more than it has been. I am not one who believes one missed called affects the outcome unless it is the very last play and even then there are a lot of things going on, but this was a bad missed call. Basically this was an inadvertent whistle not ruled as such. The game may have never come down to what it did without this situation.

Peace
With all the excitement at the end of the game I completely forgot about this play. I was surprised (OK...maybe not) the announcers didn't say anything about. They just commented the runner was down but they failed to notice he dropped the ball before his knee hit the ground. The official who ruled him down was shielded from the ball by the runner's back so he probably had no idea he did not have possession.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 04:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
With all the excitement at the end of the game I completely forgot about this play. I was surprised (OK...maybe not) the announcers didn't say anything about. They just commented the runner was down but they failed to notice he dropped the ball before his knee hit the ground. The official who ruled him down was shielded from the ball by the runner's back so he probably had no idea he did not have possession.
When I saw the play I immediately thought it was wrong. Then when I saw the replay I really thought it was wrong. I thought Texas was put at a huge disadvantage. So when I heard this dumb guy in the bar try to claim that Texas was going to win, I just about laughed my behind off.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When I saw the play I immediately thought it was wrong. Then when I saw the replay I really thought it was wrong. I thought Texas was put at a huge disadvantage. So when I heard this dumb guy in the bar try to claim that Texas was going to win, I just about laughed my behind off.

Peace
I was able to find the play on youtube and you are absolutely right that this was an inadvertant whistle. The referee should have had a great look at it. I'm surprised that Texas didn't raise the question with the crew or that replay didn't catch it. It certainly backed them into the corner.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
I was able to find the play on youtube and you are absolutely right that this was an inadvertant whistle. The referee should have had a great look at it. I'm surprised that Texas didn't raise the question with the crew or that replay didn't catch it. It certainly backed them into the corner.
I'm digging but I haven't found the link yet. Can you please share?
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

It occurs at about the 1:39 mark in this video: YouTube - 2009 Big 12 Championship TEXAS vs NEBRASKA Highlights
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

In the best video angle, Williams partially obscures the view but it does appear that the ball was never possessed. I would think that between the R and the H, they would have gotten this, even if they had to get together to discuss what they saw.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 06:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
In the best video angle, Williams partially obscures the view but it does appear that the ball was never possessed. I would think that between the R and the H, they would have gotten this, even if they had to get together to discuss what they saw.
The H was adamant he had him down. I do not know what more you can discuss at that point. Unless the R just wanted to challenge him about the play and it is possible he was not sure that the H was wrong. This is why you cannot be in a hurry to hit the whistle. The play is dead already; you do not need to hit the whistle that quickly. But it was clear there was no possession and I would have rather let the play continue and let replay call it back. Then again I was not working that game either.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

So here's my question: Clearly 12-3-6 says the replay official can make a clock correction (defining egregious is another matter) but apparently the Big 12 conference rules seem to modify or delete 12-3-6. So what takes precedence?
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 08:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5 View Post
So here's my question: Clearly 12-3-6 says the replay official can make a clock correction (defining egregious is another matter) but apparently the Big 12 conference rules seem to modify or delete 12-3-6. So what takes precedence?
How did the Big 12 not follow the rule? I have seen this done several times before in other conferences.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How did the Big 12 not follow the rule? I have seen this done several times before in other conferences.

Peace
I'm not sure I understand your question but I'll give you my answer. I assume just like some NF state can modify a rule or OT for example, the Big 12 modified the replay rules and from what I've read of them, it narrows the replay official's duties, taking away the latitude that 12-3-6 gives.

From the Big 12:

Miscellaneous
Article 3. Miscellaneous reviewable plays include:
a. A runner judged to have been not down by rule. (Note: If a runner is ruled down, the play is not reviewable).
b. A runner’s forward progress with respect to a first down.
c. Touching of any type kick by any player.
d. The number of players participating by either team during a live ball.
e. A scrimmage kicker beyond the line of scrimmage when the ball is kicked.
f. Clock adjustment when a ruling on the field is reversed.
g. A fumble recovery by a Team A player during fourth down or a try and before any change of possession.

Plays Not Reviewable
Article 4. No other plays or officiating decisions are reviewable.

So does the Big 12 or any conference have the ability to write their own rules and supersede the NCAA rule?
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5 View Post
I'm not sure I understand your question but I'll give you my answer. I assume just like some NF state can modify a rule or OT for example, the Big 12 modified the replay rules and from what I've read of them, it narrows the replay official's duties, taking away the latitude that 12-3-6 gives.

From the Big 12:

Miscellaneous
Article 3. Miscellaneous reviewable plays include:
a. A runner judged to have been not down by rule. (Note: If a runner is ruled down, the play is not reviewable).
b. A runner’s forward progress with respect to a first down.
c. Touching of any type kick by any player.
d. The number of players participating by either team during a live ball.
e. A scrimmage kicker beyond the line of scrimmage when the ball is kicked.
f. Clock adjustment when a ruling on the field is reversed.
g. A fumble recovery by a Team A player during fourth down or a try and before any change of possession.

Plays Not Reviewable
Article 4. No other plays or officiating decisions are reviewable.

So does the Big 12 or any conference have the ability to write their own rules and supersede the NCAA rule?
I can guarantee you that the Big XII is playing under the same rule set as all of FBS.

When you say from the Big XII, do you mean you copied those rules from their website? If so, then article 4 is incomplete and probably simplified for the common fan.

Last edited by APG; Tue Dec 08, 2009 at 12:25am.