The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Kansas/Texas Game Sit.

I got a little confused by what happened near the end of the KU/Texas game today, I was hoping someone could clarify:

Kansas is inbounding the ball off of a made basket, KU player pushes off Texas player, BEFORE the inbounds pass is made, and foul is called (great call too a lot of refs wouldnt call late in the game, and I'm a huge jayhawks fan).

Here's where it gets confusing:

the announcers say that Self is trying to plead his case that the ball was not inbounded (still in the hands of the inbounder) when the kansas player was called for the foul. The refs end up putting the ball under the basket (although the ball was not inbounded in time as shown by the replays - it was bang bang).

What is the rule here?
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 02:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Team control foul. You do not shoot FTs on team control fouls.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the play-
NCAA rules state that when a team has the ball at its disposal for a throw in, that team has team control. (4-13-2) No free throws are shot for team control fouls.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 02:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fyi, Nfhs ...

For your information, in case you're interested in high school basketball, according to NFHS rules, there is no team control during a throwin.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

THanks for the clarification. I was a little behind in the action and by the time I submitted my thread on this same topic, I then saw that this thread had already started so I deleted mine.

I thought it was a great call, but I also wondered about team control in this situation under NCAA rules, as the foul occurred prior to the pass being released onto the floor.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Gotcha. Thanks for all the clarifications.

Bit of a different topic, but it's closely related and I've been wondering about it for awhile:

Situation: Team A is losing with less than a minute to go. They start strategically fouling. On a Team B inbound attempt, Team A fouls before Team B inbounds the ball, so no time elapses, and Team B goes to the line for a 1/1 or double bonus FT. This seems to happen rarely, but when it does, I always think to myself "why don't teams do this more to avoid having seconds tick off the clock - even if it is just half a second?" Is it simply the worry of being called for an intentional foul? Or is there another rule I'm missing?
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 02:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

You will have to ask the teams that play the games. All I can say is when fouls are committed without the ball. They are more often not on purpose or apart of the strategy. In other words, the player is just tying to make a play on the defender and either pushes are grabs in a way that would not be seen as intentional or would happen at other times of the game. I would think that there is a certain fear of being called for an intentional foul.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

I too watched the sequence and the call and eventual resolution (ball OOB to TX) was correct but what caused the confusion is that one of the officials signaled 1 and 1 and the teams began lining up to shoot free throws - all the while the announcer's argument was whether the ball was released on the throwin before the foul, as if that was some sort of determining factor???

I will say that it did seem as though there was momentary confusion on the crew and until Belf Self started arguing that it should be OOB they may well have shot the frew throws.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 11:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen
I will say that it did seem as though there was momentary confusion on the crew and until Belf Self started arguing that it should be OOB they may well have shot the frew throws.
I like to assume they would have gotten it right unless we have solid evidence to the contrary.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I like to assume they would have gotten it right unless we have solid evidence to the contrary.
I would like to too...however once Self started arguing they got together and it sure did look like they were going to shoot until Self realized the same and started arguing some more....but I can only go but what I observed on TV.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter
Gotcha. Thanks for all the clarifications.

Bit of a different topic, but it's closely related and I've been wondering about it for awhile:

Situation: Team A is losing with less than a minute to go. They start strategically fouling. On a Team B inbound attempt, Team A fouls before Team B inbounds the ball, so no time elapses, and Team B goes to the line for a 1/1 or double bonus FT. This seems to happen rarely, but when it does, I always think to myself "why don't teams do this more to avoid having seconds tick off the clock - even if it is just half a second?" Is it simply the worry of being called for an intentional foul? Or is there another rule I'm missing?
We practiced this just this week in preparation for our semi-final district tournament game. I am an official, but also our Fr Boys coach and asst for our varsity games. I was the one who was to teach the guys how to get this foul without having it called intentional.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 03:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter
and I'm a huge jayhawks fan).
I hate to interject off the subject, but no self respecting Jayhawk fan would sport the moniker wildcatter.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 04:08am
Official Forum Member

I hate to interject off the subject, but no self respecting Jayhawk fan would sport the moniker wildcatter.

Fair enough. I grew up my whole life in Kansas, but now go to another d1 school in the midwest that has a mascot of a wildcat.

Much worse men's bball team than K-State in the last 10 years...

yeah, we're that bad.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

All right then, I'll cut you some slack......

Looks like Huggins has taken K-State basketball off the mat though; maybe someday they'll break that 0-fer Bramlege streak vs KU....bwahahaha.....

I was just hoping that you weren't one of those weirdo "I cheer for KU basketball and K-State football" crackerjacks.......enough to make me puke. I wonder if any other area has any of those kinda fans.....
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 11:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
All right then, I'll cut you some slack......

Looks like Huggins has taken K-State basketball off the mat though; maybe someday they'll break that 0-fer Bramlege streak vs KU....bwahahaha.....

I was just hoping that you weren't one of those weirdo "I cheer for KU basketball and K-State football" crackerjacks.......enough to make me puke. I wonder if any other area has any of those kinda fans.....
Okay, that's just goofy. I've never met such a beast in Iowa (re Cyclones and Hawkeyes.) One or the other, all or nothing.