The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Texas v. Nebraska end of game

Does anyone know the correct ruling on whether the amount of time left in a half/game can be reviewed by replay officials?

I recently heard a Big Ten official speak and I am pretty sure he said that the time left on the clock is not reviewable. Maybe he was refering to a play a few years ago and the rule has since changed.

Are there specific references in the NCAA rulebok that speak to which kinds of plays are reviewable and for what purposes?
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

12-3-6 States:

The replay official may correct egregious errors, including those
involving the game clock, whether or not a play is reviewable.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

I guess eliminating Texas' national title hopes falls under the "egregious rule". Otherwise, correcting a one second or less error would not be necessary, in my opinion.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_faz View Post
I guess eliminating Texas' national title hopes falls under the "egregious rule". Otherwise, correcting a one second or less error would not be necessary, in my opinion.
I disagree. The size of the time discrepancy is less important than when it occurs.

9:03 vs 9:02 in the 3rd quarter is not a big discrepancy. :01 vs :00 in the game is big, regardless of whether national title hopes are on the line.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Did the Big 12 hire some former Russian basketball refs for this game?

Regardless of the technicalities, it is hard to avoid the general perception that "the fix was in."
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 12:31pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Regardless of the technicalities, it is hard to avoid the general perception that "the fix was in."
Maybe by bitter Nebraska fans. Replay shows pretty definitively that there was 1 second left on the clock when the ball hit out of bounds. The Big XII didn't force Nebraska to kick the ball out of bounds nor to commit a crucial horse collar foul on the last drive.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
The Big XII didn't force Nebraska to kick the ball out of bounds nor to commit a crucial horse collar foul on the last drive.
Exactly. I saw the kick go out of bounds and thought, "geez, they shot themselves in the foot!" And then the HCT: "they just shot the other foot!"
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Then why in the 4th quarter did the officials get the call wrong on the kickoff return when they ruled the ball dead at the Texas 1 yard line?
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

FWIW, I am a huge Nebraska fan as I have a great uncle who was the backfield coach under Devaney and Osborne and Nebraska has no one to blame but itself. The offense was horrendous the kick out of bounds was atrocious and the HCT sealed the deal.

I do however question (understand I do not attribute the loss to this at all) the two PI calls against Nebraska toward the end of the game. Ball seemed uncatchable to me both times. Thoughts, or was I just looking at these calls through my fan glasses?

Congrats to Texas on escaping your way into the BCS National Championship!
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Then why in the 4th quarter did the officials get the call wrong on the kickoff return when they ruled the ball dead at the Texas 1 yard line?
It's truly a shame, Cobra, that you cannot give Nebraske the credit they deserve for playing an absolutely outstanding defensive game in coming so close to pulling off the upset of the season. Only a real fool keeps jabbering about that which they've proven not to understand.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
I said the very same thing to a guy in a bar I was watching who insisted that they wanted Texas to win. If they wanted them to win so bad, they continue this very play and give them a shot to not start at their one yard line that this very poor ruling put Texas in a trick bag late in the game.

Then again, do not let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
It's truly a shame, Cobra, that you cannot give Nebraske the credit they deserve for playing an absolutely outstanding defensive game in coming so close to pulling off the upset of the season. Only a real fool keeps jabbering about that which they've proven not to understand.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
He is not taking away credit from Nebraska. But if the officials were in on a "fix" they would not have made this bad call. And the kick out of bounds also hurt Nebraska as well as the obvious Horse collar (The same fool I was talking to claimed this was not an NCAA Rule. This is why you do not listen to fans people. )

Peace
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

JR, please explain the play he is speaking of...I only saw parts of the 4th quarter. Was there a questionable call at the 1 yard line???
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Fix? Please. It was obvious that there was one second on the clock when the ball landed OOB.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith