The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Just wondering what the deal was with the back court violation in this game. Ball being taken OOB in front court on baseline. Inbounded towards division line. Player jumps from front court, catches the ball, then lands in the back court. T calls over and back. C comes over to "overrule" or whatever they were talking about. Then they go to the AP arrow. The ball was clearly in MSU possesion. I don't see why they would go to the AP arrow for, what the announcers called, an inadvertent whistle. Just curious what The Board thought.

Great intentional foul call at the end of the game for those who saw it. I thought it was funny. Not sure who fouled, maybe a freshman mistake.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zebra1
Just wondering what the deal was with the back court violation in this game. Ball being taken OOB in front court on baseline. Inbounded towards division line. Player jumps from front court, catches the ball, then lands in the back court. T calls over and back. C comes over to "overrule" or whatever they were talking about. Then they go to the AP arrow. The ball was clearly in MSU possesion. I don't see why they would go to the AP arrow for, what the announcers called, an inadvertent whistle. Just curious what The Board thought.

Great intentional foul call at the end of the game for those who saw it. I thought it was funny. Not sure who fouled, maybe a freshman mistake.
I think it is discussed in another thread, but here is what happened. T incorrectly called a backcourt violation, they convened and ruled it an inadvertent whistle and gave the ball back to Mich St., no AP was used but one of the guys at the table either switched the arrow or called them over to make sure the arrow was right when they had a jump ball a couple of minutes later. This confused the announcers, which in the infamous words of Goober, Surprise, Surprise, Surpirse...

My question is: How are you working an elite eight game and don't know this rule, do you not frequent officialforum.com
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Yeah, tell me how I can get on that game next year!!
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

My take...

I watched the game and I thought they ruled it an inadvertent whistle and went to AP. That's why Tex got the throw-in on the next jump ball. The announcers were so screwed up they didn't know what was going on. One said it was a violation because they had established position in FC before they jumped to catch the pass. When the jump ball was called shortly after, there was lots of confusion on who would get the throw in. The arrow was pointing to MSU but the explanation I heard was that they used the AP arrow on the inadvertent whistle. I have no idea where the arrow should have been pointing prior to the play so I could be wrong.

On another topic, what about the travel call or no call I should say. It was in another game but can't remember which one. Guard clearly leaves his feet like he was going to pass but didn't pass and came back down with the ball. Fans scream and ref points to the spot on the floor as if to say he never left the court. A few moments later while the guard is dribbling, there was contact which resulted in the defender going to the foor. Tweet! I thought they were going to call a PC foul on the guard but the Center comes over and they call a late Traveling. Coach is going ballistic. Thought they did well in not T'ing him up.

Disregard, there's a whole thread on the travel call. It was AZ-Kansas.

[Edited by Mregor on Mar 31st, 2003 at 01:04 PM]
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 03:20pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

And Then There Were Three

As the NCAA tournament moves on to their Final Four, we move on to the final three. That is, determining the three officials who will referee the championship game.

There is much to learn by watching the tournament, regardless of which level you officiate. See what tips Officiating.com’s own Bradley Batt picked up when he made the trip to this year’s NCAA Men’s South Regional in San Antonio.