Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I think he's trying to make a point.
Which would be?
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Well, at least we are generating some discussion about coaches conduct. I hope is it is constructive and helpful. Don't want it to digress into something other than that.

Ajmc, thats good advice. I have not considered the matter much more. Had another game today. Varsity back to back Friday night Sat. afternoon.

Oh yes, flagged a coach this afternoon for disagreeing with a DPI call. He came out on the field about 10 yards, and yelled something about horse excrement and so he got a UC flag. I just shake my head and chuckle sometimes.

Ldub...oh nevermind....
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 11:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Bull. A coach saying things about the officials when he full well knows the officials are within earshot is being a passive aggressive coward. The "Oh I wasn't talking to you" line is garbage.

The huddle is not a sanctuary. Act like a jerk and don't be surprised if you get held accountable. Gaming the officials is not going to win you very many points in my book.
I had a guy do this last week. He called a timeout and came out to hold his conference between the hash marks. He started out by addressing me in this passive-aggressive (read: cowardly) manner -- by saying very loudly from his huddle "I've been really nice about it, but the penalty ratio..."

That's as far as he got. I told him to address his players or get off the field and then I turned my back and walked away from him.

Good sportsmanship is expected. Doing what some of these coaches do isn't acceptable and I simply won't tolerate it. They can give me any rating they like, too, it doesn't change how I officiate.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
You are joking, right?
This sounds like a statement that a coach or fan would say.
He said "I warned him and almost flagged him again but i held back knowng a 15yd UC penalty in OT would basically decide the game and do so against his kids who were, despite their 4 yr old tantrum throwing coach, playing clean hard football"

So it seems as if he was going to call the foul but didn't want to "basically decide the game" by making the call. Team A would have most likely lost if he called the foul. That means Team B would have most likely won.

So if someone is worried about costing one team the game by calling a game deciding foul isn't he costing the other team the game by not calling it? Why doesn't he just call the fouls and not worry about which team is getting helped or hurt?
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are joking, right?
This sounds like a statement that a coach or fan would say.
I pretty sure I remember reading a similar statement in Referee magazine recently. While I personally think it's a logical fallacy, I understand the sentiment.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Be prepared for a lengthy rebuttal.
Why? I've always considered things said about someone but not directed at that person to be proper decorum, and in some circumstances even a good practice. I don't understand why Robert would want to respond.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
Why? I've always considered things said about someone but not directed at that person to be proper decorum, and in some circumstances even a good practice. I don't understand why Robert would want to respond.
Nicely done.
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
Yes, as stated in my post, he did get an UC flag. and for the most part he quieted down a little, yet kept up his little digs and whinning at every opportunity. Just because you don't toss a coach doesn't mean there is "nothing to look at." Mbryon I take it you disagree?
If you're addressing me, then no, I agree. I somehow missed the part of your post where you said you flagged the USC (saw only the sideline warning part).

I agree with the principle of doing what we can to keep coaches and players in the game. As a general rule, the contests are for the participants, and nobody wants an official who throws people out at the drop of a hat.

On the other hand, every league has its well-known bad actors. They've generally been around for a while, and they know how to push buttons to get their way. Until the officials association mans up sufficiently to enforce the rules with these clowns, they will continue to misbehave and be an annoyance for everyone. Sure, passive-aggressive is cowardly; but if we don't deal with it, who's the coward now?

It sounds as if you felt it was a borderline case, and those are always frustrating. Clearly bad behavior, but you feel it didn't warrant an EJ.
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

In our game last Friday the home team is up big and the gap is still increasing. The D coordinator wants our LJ to call the visitors for encroachment. When he doesn't get the call he says we're a bunch of "dickweeds". Now, I don't care who you are, that's funny!

Coaches are coaches. Some have more class than others but when they cross the line ding 'em, otherwise keep your skin thick.
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

It's really a shame when these topics turn into, "Some officials just don't get it". Officials express their opinions about relevant issues, which can be helpful and educational, or sometimes not. I would submit the only times the input sinks to the level of "stupid" is when an individual presumes what they do, say or think is the absolute only way to act, speak or think.

At some point we all go through a period (hopefully really brief) when we think we've learned everything and somehow stop leaving an odor behind in the bathroom. For the great majority we quickly realize that's just an illusion and get our heads back out of our dumpers.

Sadly, some seem to linger in their fantasy and actually believe that their opinions are somehow worth more than anyone elses. "Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and it's just a little different than anyone else's".

This forum works best when we all keep our minds on football, rather than personalities. Either you agree with what someone opines, or you don't. We come from different areas and sometimes do things differently (different, not necessarily better). There's no need for "cheap shots" and nobody worth impressing is impressed by cheap shots, which seem to often originate in the same circles. We all have the all the opportunities to hear really stupid remarks on Friday nights or Saturday afternoons, so all the "bush league" smart aleck nonsense is just....unnecessary.

To those guys who think you know it all, you don't and if you keep doing what we do long enough, you'll mature enough to understand that. Unfortunately, some never find a way to get over that hump, so you really need to work on it.
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Robert Goodman is by far the dumbest person here...
No, I'd say you've trumped anything, anyone else has done.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Constant harassment is grounds for a report in our state. I suggest you do that or find a way to do it if none is readily available.

I almost never have problems with specific complaints, but I never tolerate constant harassment.
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
No, I'd say you've trumped anything, anyone else has done.
Obviously you not able to understand the post I made. I guess you are not as smart as you think you are.
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Obviously you not able to understand the post I made. I guess you are not as smart as you think you are.
I understand perfectly. You're an @$$, just like I always thought you were.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Quote:
LDUB, You're really trying to make friends, and influence people, aren't you?