The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Some coaches just dont get it!

Just some Zebra venting....
Had one of those games last night that between the white lines was hard fought, clean and was decided in OT. However, from the pre-game conference on I could tell the visitingng coach was going to be a problem. He began begging, whining from the get go and I told my wing on his sideline to keep him back and keep a tight reign on him.

I flagged him early with a sidlene warning to get his attention. Seems every snap he began yelling for a flag, although never using any foul language his constant whining and "out of control" sideline decorum just made me shake my head. I did flag him late for an UC foul he very loudly objected to the lack of a flag, wanting a late hit on his side.
Then in OT, his team is on Defense. During a timeout he comes out to the huddle and begins sarcastically whinning and yelling loudly about how "they " have a 12 guys inthe huddle right now, (A only had 11) and "WE are going to flollow the rules and only have 11, UNBELIEVABLE....ya da ya da..." I warned him and almost flagged him again but i held back knowng a 15yd UC penalty in OT would basically decide the game and do so against his kids who were, despite their 4 yr old tantrum throwing coach, playing clean hard football.

The immature coach's team ended up winning the game and all he kept saying was "Unbeleivable" referring to our "incompetent officiating."

I am more than willing to explain and reason with a coach who will do so properly (as the other coach did last night). But this guy, no place for him in a leadership role among teens. I fear there are too many like him out there and they just don't get it!!

Actualy if you tally the fouls his team came out way ahead but nothing would make him happy. All he wanted to do was argue and degrade the officials. I am fairly objective when it comes to critiquing my crew and I thought with a few minor exceptions we did a good solid job.

Bottom line, AD's need to take a hard look at the conduct of their coaches. I know as a parent I would not want that type of coach with his poor attitude, argumentative personality and constant yelling and whining to coach my kid.

thanks for listening.....
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 11:57am
Stop staring at me swan.

Our state allows the crew to subit an incident report to the high school league...if enough crews do this the state will see a pattern and then they can work w/ the school and coach to address the behavior...that's what I'd do.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
Bottom line, AD's need to take a hard look at the conduct of their coaches. I know as a parent I would not want that type of coach with his poor attitude, argumentative personality and constant yelling and whining to coach my kid.

thanks for listening.....
Why? Did the coach get flagged for USC? Did he get tossed? Nothing to look at.

IMO, you could have taken care of business better.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

It's only human to want to avoid taking the game out of the player's hands, but, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" and sadly a jerk will stay a jerk until he's made to stop being a jerk.

For what it's worth, when dealing with the guy who just won't stop with the smart apple comments, you can take him aside and offer him a choice; coach his team from the sideline and keep his comments to himself, or say whatever he wants, whenever he wants, as loud as he wants from the parking lot.

Of course you have to be willing to absolutely back that up.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, as stated in my post, he did get an UC flag. and for the most part he quieted down a little, yet kept up his little digs and whinning at every opportunity. Just because you don't toss a coach doesn't mean there is "nothing to look at." Mbryon I take it you disagree?

All things considered, in the context of what he did and did not do we (I) handled it appropriatly and would not rethink it now to eject him.

My point is not to rethink what we did but to simply vent a bit that too many coaches just do not model the behavior that teens need to see despite their being (marginally) within the technical rules of conduct. To see coaches whine and beg and constantly complain (none of which in themselves, IMO, warrant an ejection) is not good for the game.

Do any of you toss a coach based strictly on the rule? Go read the rule and then answer honestly and your answer will be "no." Each of us has our thresholds and tolerance levels with coaches. Actually I am one to be fairly quick to flag coaches for UC.

I just wish coaches would keep things in perpsective. It is after all a game!

I am considering an email to the AD about the coaches conduct.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is after all a game! I am considering an email to the AD about the coaches conduct.
If after you've had a chance to reflect on the steps you took (and didn't take) and are comfortable with your decisions, you were correct. For what it's worth, I'd suggest you let the urge to email the AD pass. There's only a weak 50/50 chance your observations will be appreciated, and a lot less that they'll make any kind of a difference.

As you note, "It is after all a game' and when the game is over, it's over.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Raising this issue with the AD and/or state association would be playoff suicide in our state because coaches primarily decide our fate on their annual vote. Not only could that vote give you a bad vote but he could get his friends in the coaching ranks to give you a bad vote as well (no control over which coaches vote for which crews). Just another reason why our system needs a major overhaul.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 03:11pm
Stop staring at me swan.

the coach ratings are a joke (what do they know about officiating?)...if he doesn't like your calls, you're not going to get a good rating anyway...simply because he's mad.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then in OT, his team is on Defense. During a timeout he comes out to the huddle and begins sarcastically whinning and yelling loudly about how "they " have a 12 guys inthe huddle right now, (A only had 11) and "WE are going to flollow the rules and only have 11, UNBELIEVABLE....ya da ya da..." I warned him and almost flagged him again but i held back knowng a 15yd UC penalty in OT would basically decide the game and do so against his kids who were, despite their 4 yr old tantrum throwing coach, playing clean hard football.
That must've been something if the things he said to his own team in their own huddle about one or more officials could be UC! Seriously, I have trouble imagining such as flag-worthy. Was he facing you or another official, or was he just talking loud and overheard?

I've always considered things said about an official or an opponent or a bystander but not directed at that person to be a completely legal, and in some circumstances even a good practice. Even if it's totally insincere, it's a way a coach can boost his players' morale -- cursing the officials, a gust of wind, whatever -- by saying they're just unlucky victims and are playing fine. The next day he might look at film and say, "You guys played lousy, the officials were right,...", but at the moment, the right thing to do is to put the blame elsewhere so the players don't get discouraged.

As to his other tantrum throwing, consider the possibility that he's a vicar for his team. He may tell his players that he wants discipline on their part, that they're not to curse the opponents or officials or teammates, and that he will be the "bad guy" who will rant, rave, and draw USC penalties in their stead, saving them from embarrassment. So rather than serving as an example for his team, he's offering himself as an anode or a rodeo clown. I'm not saying that's the case with him, just that it could be the case with some coaches.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I warned him and almost flagged him again but i held back knowng a 15yd UC penalty in OT would basically decide the game and do so against his kids who were, despite their 4 yr old tantrum throwing coach, playing clean hard football.
It is a team game. The coach is a team member. The team wins or loses, not the players. If a team member deserves a USC foul then he should get a USC foul.

It seems like you ended up deciding the game. If you called the foul like you should have then that team would have lost. You didn't call it and they won.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
That must've been something if the things he said to his own team in their own huddle about one or more officials could be UC! Seriously, I have trouble imagining such as flag-worthy. Was he facing you or another official, or was he just talking loud and overheard?

I've always considered things said about an official or an opponent or a bystander but not directed at that person to be a completely legal, and in some circumstances even a good practice. Even if it's totally insincere, it's a way a coach can boost his players' morale -- cursing the officials, a gust of wind, whatever -- by saying they're just unlucky victims and are playing fine. The next day he might look at film and say, "You guys played lousy, the officials were right,...", but at the moment, the right thing to do is to put the blame elsewhere so the players don't get discouraged.

As to his other tantrum throwing, consider the possibility that he's a vicar for his team. He may tell his players that he wants discipline on their part, that they're not to curse the opponents or officials or teammates, and that he will be the "bad guy" who will rant, rave, and draw USC penalties in their stead, saving them from embarrassment. So rather than serving as an example for his team, he's offering himself as an anode or a rodeo clown. I'm not saying that's the case with him, just that it could be the case with some coaches.
Robert Goodman is by far the dumbest person here...do you guys see what he wrote? Is he joking or what? I guess he really thinks that people can say whatever they want. I didn't think anyone could ever think that way. Obviously RG does not get it.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 06:20pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
That must've been something if the things he said to his own team in their own huddle about one or more officials could be UC! ...
I've always considered things said about an official or an opponent or a bystander but not directed at that person to be a completely legal, and in some circumstances even a good practice.
Bull. A coach saying things about the officials when he full well knows the officials are within earshot is being a passive aggressive coward. The "Oh I wasn't talking to you" line is garbage.

The huddle is not a sanctuary. Act like a jerk and don't be surprised if you get held accountable. Gaming the officials is not going to win you very many points in my book.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It seems like you ended up deciding the game. If you called the foul like you should have then that team would have lost. You didn't call it and they won.
You are joking, right?
This sounds like a statement that a coach or fan would say.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Robert Goodman is by far the dumbest person here...do you guys see what he wrote?
I don't know about "the dumbest person", there is at least one other that would get some votes, but what he wrote could qualify as some of the "dumbest statements".
Be prepared for a lengthy rebuttal.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 08:11pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
I don't know about "the dumbest person", there is at least one other that would get some votes, but what he wrote could qualify as some of the "dumbest statements".
Be prepared for a lengthy rebuttal.
I think he's trying to make a point.