The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
They're like women if you ask me... can't ever understand em. (no offense)

In the past 4 days i've had two weird coaches.

Saturday: 20 pt lead and she holalrs about everything. Goes under by 5 and shes quiet as a mouse... Go figure.

Last night: 20 POINT LEAD! Full court press - players all over the dribbler contact. I called 2 fouls - switched with my partner - he called 1. We switch and I finally somehow manage to find the player control in all of this as the dribbler lowered his shoulder and initatied contact. But the coach was mad that we called 3 fouls in a row - right off the baseline when his team had a 23 point lead and waas still full court pressing... Go figure!!!!

Anywho...

Gotta get ready for the 7th grade boys triple header i've got tonight :-D
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Think how the coach will feel when you call 7 or 8 fouls in a row when they're up 35 points and still committing fouls.

Then think about how much you care about how the coach feels. Don't change the way you call the game.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

I can clearly explain the former. You tend to get sloppy when you get ahead - and obviously they were if they blew a 20 point lead. she must have had plenty to scream about. sometimes you take a different demeanor when you are trying to get your team to make a run. Not there, so hard to say what was going on. But it doesn't sound so wierd to me.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 06:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
No offense? To women or coaches?
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ace

And what exactly is wrong with women?

They are my favorite people.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of “coach” stories….

Last night, 8th Grade girls (need I go on? )Â… 3.5 seconds remaining in 4th Qtr, Blue up by two is shooting 1st shot of bonus FTsÂ… Airball.

Red coach calls time out. Assistant coach, who had been chirping throughout the game, (father of a player who was “violently blocked” on a drive and had her feelings hurt earlier in the quarter) races out to me to tell me that the throw-in is administered at the intersection of the sideline and the FT Line extended because the shooter is the one who violated during the FT.

“Sorry Coach. By rule, the ball will be inbounded at the endline. By rule, this could be a technical.” He walks away in disgust.

I almost thought I had Bobby KnightÂ’s younger brotherÂ… which is the basis of most of these coaches. They saw it on TV. (That is a whole new thread )

For JR, and other seasoned veterans: WasnÂ’t inbounding at the division after a Time-out in the NBA rules a few years back?
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Assistant coaches have no business coming on the floor. If you see him headed out at a time out, I'd probably put up a hand and tell him to go back to his bench. If head coach wants to ask where the ball goes I might entertain that, Look at the first three letters of the word assistant and you have a good idea of what I am tlking about. Whack him for being on the floor...If not get him off fast and tell him you only talk to the head coach not the *** istant

NBA rule is that during the last two minutes of the game when the team call time out they can move it to mid court..
(that's why the NBA courtside announcer gives the two minutes. It is required by rule... Once in the two minute period, team gets the second foul its penalty (bonus). No waiting for 3,4,5 fouls... (Love to see that rule in NF), they can advance the ball to mid court (4th qtr) and can only call two fulls and a twenty...

Drake or Chuck will set me straight if I missed something. Damn that's what I get for no Pro-Am last summer

Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
First of all, I agree with Kelvin about dealing with the assistant coach. Assistant comes out on the floor and s/he's got about 2 nanoseconds to turn back around, otherwise "BANG!" As Kelvin said, that's a little more lenient if the question is a reasonable, situation-related question. ("Where's the throw-in?" "Who was that last foul on?")

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
NBA rule is that during the last two minutes of the game when the team call time out they can move it to mid court..

Drake or Chuck will set me straight if I missed something. Damn that's what I get for no Pro-Am last summer
The only thing Kelvin missed is that after the TO, the ball is put in play at the 28' mark in the team's frontcourt. It used to be halfcourt, but that changed a couple years ago.

Don't beat yourself up too much, Kelvin. You were probably busy over the summer, no? Thanks, again, too.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 12:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

They are nuts!!!

I was at a Football Banquet last night. We had a speaker that has been a long time D1-AA Football Official. He said this about coaches.

"You have to understand that coaches spend a lot of their time coaching, which is for many some kind of livelyhood and they get to control ever aspect of their program, except you (meaning the officials)."

I think this rings true for me. I had a game this weekend where the home coach threatened me about "we will not have you back next year." I said to him in the calmest of voices, "I really do not care." I was working at a school that they assign themselves, I pasted 100 schools to get to that school. One of my partners was from another part of the state as well. It was funny to me and something I thought of when the comments were made by the football official.

What I have found is that there are many nice people that are coaches, they just get nuts when the game starts and seem to stay that way until the game ends. I think we just have to keep it in perspective.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck

Thanks for setting me straight. I had forgot about that change. then you got me thinking, they can also toss the ball in to back court at that point too?

Need to get back and ref some ball... amazing how much you forget when youre not doing it all the time...

Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 08:23pm
In Memoriam

Question Help me here, please.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
First of all, I agree with Kelvin about dealing with the assistant coach. Assistant comes out on the floor and s/he's got about 2 nanoseconds to turn back around, otherwise "BANG!" As Kelvin said, that's a little more lenient if the question is a reasonable, situation-related question. ("Where's the throw-in?" "Who was that last foul on?")

By what rule do we whack an assistant coach who, during a dead ball time out, comes onto the floor (assume no swearin'/ hollerin'/ intimidatin'/ trepidatin') to question a call?

mick

edited in: time-out

[Edited by mick on Dec 11th, 2003 at 07:30 PM]
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 09:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
[/B]
By what rule do we whack an assistant coach who, during a dead ball time out, comes onto the floor (assume no swearin'/ hollerin'/ intimidatin'/ trepidatin') to question a call?

[/B][/QUOTE]It's a no-no under NFHS rule 10-5-2(a). Up to the discretion of the official, but the assistant coach has got no b*tch if he does happen to get nailed.By rule, he's not supposed to be out of the bench area during a time-out, and he's also not supposed to be questioning any official.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 11th, 2003 at 08:25 PM]
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 09:39pm
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

[/B]
It's a no-no under NFHS rule 10-5-2(a). Up to the discretion of the official, but the assistant coach has got no b*tch if he does happen to get nailed.By rule, he's not supposed to be out of the bench area during a time-out, and he's also not supposed to be questioning any official.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks, JR,
But 10-5-2(a) doesn't address any coach talking to an official during a dead ball time-out.
And, that bench area has really quite a lot of room to roam. From what I read, or do not read, if any coach wants to talk to an official from the bench area, they can go right to the free throw lane to chat. Now, that's way on the floor.
mick
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 10:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's a no-no under NFHS rule 10-5-2(a). Up to the discretion of the official, but the assistant coach has got no b*tch if he does happen to get nailed.By rule, he's not supposed to be out of the bench area during a time-out, and he's also not supposed to be questioning any official.
[/B]
Thanks, JR,
But 10-5-2(a) doesn't address any coach talking to an official during a dead ball time-out.
And, that bench area has really quite a lot of room to roam. From what I read, or do not read, if any coach wants to talk to an official from the bench area, they can go right to the free throw lane to chat. Now, that's way on the floor.
mick
[/B][/QUOTE]
R10-5-2(a) tells you exactly what a coach can do during a time-out. If they do anything else beside "confer with bench personnel and players within the confines of the bench area during a charged time-out", it's supposed to be a T.

I'm not saying a T should be called. I'm saying a T could be called,by rule.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 10:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, JR,
mick
[/B]
R10-5-2(a) tells you exactly what a coach can do during a time-out. If they do anything else beside "confer with bench personnel and players within the confines of the bench area during a charged time-out", it's supposed to be a T.

I'm not saying a T should be called. I'm saying a T could be called,by rule. [/B][/QUOTE]

Okay. (Yer reachin' a might aren't you?) I follow your thought, even though the head coach may approach the table at that time, he may confer with an official on the sideline at that time, he may get a drink of water; those are not spcificallly noted.

Yet, since we often allow head coaches to ask us stuff, about a particular play, without penalty, is there any special reason we should not allow an asst. coach to ask the same question? I think not. Civility assumed, asst. coach wants to know something; we answer.

mick