The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

This was a JV game and I am the trail on a 2 man. I am right in front of the scorers table and we are under a minute. It is a tied game. From behind me, as time approaches 30 seconds, I hear the coach call time out (remember, I am facing the court, they are directly behind me). I blow my whistle to stop play, turn, and see it was the assistant coach who called the timeout. The head coach is giving him a look like "I didnt WANT a timeout." He looks at me and says, "it was my assistant. I didn't want a timeout." We did charge them a timeout in this situation. My question is this: should I have turned away from play to see who called for the timeout prior to blowing my whistle? I am afraid if I turn to see who is calling the timeout, I may miss something on the floor, plus, a few precious seconds will continue to tick off as I look between the two to determine who actually called the TO. What say you?
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

I'd turn. Under a minute? Tie game? Giving them a desired TO is important. Giving them an undesired TO is important.

Unless there's something huge going on at that split second, I'd do a quick turn to be confirm (or to confirm not).
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 09:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON THE PLAY!!!!

You should never turn your back on the court while play is going on. If you do not know who is asking for the timeout, do not grant it. The coach should have his players call the timeout in the first place. If you turn your back to the play and something happens, you will be in a world of hurt if you miss something. Do not turn your back to the play and do not assume who called the timeout unless you are a 100% sure it is the head coach. You might have a fan behind the bench calling "time out" and you will misconstrue who called it.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Let's move the clock to 10 seconds

Do you still not grant the TO unless you know for certain who called it? I dont have a hard time discerning a TO call from the bench vs. the crowd (primarily, proximity of the voice). If it don't know who called it, and dont turn to verify (which i agree with previous comments, never turn your head away from the play), and DONT call the TO, time could expire with a frantic, red-faced coach yelling for time. Is there a circumstance when you would whistle the TO without turning to confirm it was the head coach?
Old Thu Dec 22, 2005, 10:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Let's move the clock to 10 seconds

Quote:
Originally posted by lmeadski
Do you still not grant the TO unless you know for certain who called it? I dont have a hard time discerning a TO call from the bench vs. the crowd (primarily, proximity of the voice). If it don't know who called it, and dont turn to verify (which i agree with previous comments, never turn your head away from the play), and DONT call the TO, time could expire with a frantic, red-faced coach yelling for time.
Once again, if you cannot identify the words of the head coach, do not grant the timeout. If they get upset, tell them it is not your job to turn around and look. They need to still have their players call timeout or one of your partners call the timeout. You still do not turn completely around to look at the coach. It does not matter what the situation is. You just do not turn around.

Quote:
Is there a circumstance when you would whistle the TO without turning to confirm it was the head coach?
During a dead ball.

Peace

Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Near the end of a very close game, both refs need to be aware of the possibility of a TO request. If both refs keep the benches in the corners of their eyes, one of them will get the TO as requested.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 08:38am
MABO Member

Re: Re: Let's move the clock to 10 seconds

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Do you still not grant the TO unless you know for certain who called it? I dont have a hard time discerning a TO call from the bench vs. the crowd (primarily, proximity of the voice). If it don't know who called it, and dont turn to verify (which i agree with previous comments, never turn your head away from the play), and DONT call the TO, time could expire with a frantic, red-faced coach yelling for time.
Once again, if you cannot identify the words of the head coach, do not grant the timeout. If they get upset, tell them it is not your job to turn around and look. They need to still have their players call timeout or one of your partners call the timeout. You still do not turn completely around to look at the coach. It does not matter what the situation is. You just do not turn around.

Quote:
Is there a circumstance when you would whistle the TO without turning to confirm it was the head coach?
During a dead ball.

Peace

This is exactly how I would handle it as well. Trust your partner, who is facing the benches will see who is calling for the time out and make the call.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2005, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am right in front of the scorers table ... From behind me, ... I hear the coach call time out (remember, I am facing the court, they are directly behind me).

... What say you? [/B]
Sounds like a technical foul for being out of the coaching box, if they were where you say.