The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

5 yard facemask

How often do you call this? I ask, because many people I have talked to believe that it is either a 15 or nothing. I know the 5 is in the rule book, but I am inclined to lean towards their thinking in that in practice it is either a facemask or it is not. After all it is a rule intended to ensure the safety of players.

Thoughts!
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
How often do you call this? I ask, because many people I have talked to believe that it is either a 15 or nothing. I know the 5 is in the rule book, but I am inclined to lean towards their thinking in that in practice it is either a facemask or it is not. After all it is a rule intended to ensure the safety of players.

Thoughts!
I think the 5 yarder was added years ago to prevent the 15 yarders. If it's a facemask then call it, whether it's 5 or 15 and if you're in doubt, it's 15, I believe anyway. This ain't the NFL, it's HS and our number one concern is player safety.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Although the original question wasn't specifically about a facemask foul, and in practice a 5 yard facemask foul would most normally apply to a live ball situation, there is absolutely nothing that restricts such a foul to live ball only.
The OP wasn't specifically about a face mask foul?!! That's exactly what it was about. A 5 yard face mask penalty enforcement. Man, you need to work on your reading and comprehension!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
First and 10

RB runs for three yards, right at the end of the run there is a 5 yard facemask penalty.

Question: After the penalty is enforced, is it 1st down and 2 or is it 2nd down and 2? Or neither? Why?

Thanks guys. Still trying to completely grasp penalty enforcement...it's not as easy as I once thought it was.
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 05:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post

Thoughts!
I wonder if the confusion is because the NCAA and NFL have eliminated the 5 yard foul.

Does the hand brush the face mask? No foul.
Does the hand grasp the face mask, but not pull or twist it in any way? 5 yards.
Does the hand grasp the face mask, and pull or twist it? Do you see the helmet move in any direction in any manner as a result of the face mask? 15 yards.

I think my games have had as many 5 yard fouls as 15 this year. I mostly do youth games, though. They are pretty good about immediately letting go.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 12:02pm
Stop staring at me swan.

So it would be 1st and 2 yards to go? Thanks fellas...other good comments on here as well. Thanks!!
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
The OP wasn't specifically about a face mask foul?!! That's exactly what it was about. A 5 yard face mask penalty enforcement. Man, you need to work on your reading and comprehension!
Seems to me Jaybird, the purpose of the question was about down and distance and the penalty being a facemask was totally incidental. What you need to do is get that really stupid chip off your shoulder, it keeps forcing you to make yourself appear as a petty bead counter. The point of my original comment, which obviously escaped your superior powers of observation, was simply that although dead ball face mask penalties are usually of the 15 yard variety, there is NOTHING (rule wise) that precludes calling a 5 yarder.

Last edited by ajmc; Sat Oct 10, 2009 at 12:31pm.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
..your superior powers of observation..
Thanks for the compliment, Alf!
Old Sat Oct 10, 2009, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
5 yard facemask
How often do you call this?
Every time it happens.
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
Every time it happens.
Should read: "Every time I see it happen."

Or what, you're flagging it in my games?
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

penalty enforcement question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
1st and 2.

After a liveball penalty is enforced the down will be the same as the down in which the penalty occured unless:
Can someone cite a reference for this statement?
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Although the original question wasn't specifically about a facemask foul, and in practice a 5 yard facemask foul would most normally apply to a live ball situation, there is absolutely nothing that restricts such a foul to live ball only.
That's what happens when you take common sense out of the equation and try to apply only the letter of the rule.
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 08:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

In practice, 5 yard facemask fouls are extremely rare.

Any movement of the head/helmet should simply be a personal foul. I wouldn't be opposed to removing the 5 yard mask from the NFHS code and simply ignoring the grab and release without a head turn/tackle by the mask.
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
In practice, 5 yard facemask fouls are extremely rare.

Any movement of the head/helmet should simply be a personal foul. I wouldn't be opposed to removing the 5 yard mask from the NFHS code and simply ignoring the grab and release without a head turn/tackle by the mask.
For what it's worth, the SPECIFIC purpose for adding the 5 yard facemask foul was that NFHS concluded that "incidental" type interactions with a face mask were being routinely ignored because the severity of the penalty was not merited by the type of incidental contact.

Because NFHS wants to discourage any and all contact with the face mask, the 5 yard penalty was added to encourage penalizing less severe grasping of the mask. The "Penalty" description for NF: 9-4-3h differentiates between the two as, "incidental grasping-5 yards" and "grasping AND twisting, turning or pulling the face mask of helmet opening-15 yards".
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 11:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
For what it's worth, the SPECIFIC purpose for adding the 5 yard facemask foul was that NFHS concluded that "incidental" type interactions with a face mask were being routinely ignored because the severity of the penalty was not merited by the type of incidental contact.

Because NFHS wants to discourage any and all contact with the face mask, the 5 yard penalty was added to encourage penalizing less severe grasping of the mask. The "Penalty" description for NF: 9-4-3h differentiates between the two as, "incidental grasping-5 yards" and "grasping AND twisting, turning or pulling the face mask of helmet opening-15 yards".
And they could've simply eliminated the grasping as a foul. Now we have coaches screaming every time a hand touches the mask -- and that's NOT a foul.
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
And they could've simply eliminated the grasping as a foul. Now we have coaches screaming every time a hand touches the mask -- and that's NOT a foul.
If memory serves, the same coaches did the same amount of screaming before the 5 yard penalty was added. If nothing else they've been consistent, a prime example that consistency is not always a good thing.