The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 10, 2007, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Penalty Enforcement

I say this play two weeks ago and something just did not seem right. What do you think?
1st and 10 at the 50. A1 drops back to pass and is scrambling to avoid the defense. At A's 40 there is an illegal block in the back by A2 and the official drops the flag. A1 is still scrambling and eventually throws an incomplete legal forward pass. The defense accepts the penalty, and the officials go to the 50 and walk off 10 yards. Now it's 1st and 20 from A's 40. I know the basic spot for loose ball plays is the line of scrimmage, but I thought the enforcement should have started from the 40 ( since the offense fouled behind the basic spot) and it should have been 1st and 30 from A's 30. What am I missing? Please use NFHS rules since this was a high school game and our state uses this rule code. Thanks to all in advance.
Old Sat Nov 10, 2007, 04:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson_28602
I say this play two weeks ago and something just did not seem right. What do you think?
1st and 10 at the 50. A1 drops back to pass and is scrambling to avoid the defense. At A's 40 there is an illegal block in the back by A2 and the official drops the flag. A1 is still scrambling and eventually throws an incomplete legal forward pass. The defense accepts the penalty, and the officials go to the 50 and walk off 10 yards. Now it's 1st and 20 from A's 40. I know the basic spot for loose ball plays is the line of scrimmage, but I thought the enforcement should have started from the 40 ( since the offense fouled behind the basic spot) and it should have been 1st and 30 from A's 30. What am I missing? Please use NFHS rules since this was a high school game and our state uses this rule code. Thanks to all in advance.
NFHS: All but one. Basic spot is previous spot. Foul behind basic spot -- that becomes the enforcement spot.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS: This should have been enforced from the spot of the foul. It was enforced incorrectly per your description.

NCAA: Previous spot enforcement for this foul in this situation. I won't explain that because you're looking for NF ruling.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 03:34pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson_28602
1st and 10 at the 50. A1 drops back to pass and is scrambling to avoid the defense. At A's 40 there is an illegal block in the back by A2 and the official drops the flag. A1 is still scrambling and eventually throws an incomplete legal forward pass. The defense accepts the penalty
CANADIAN RULING:

Applied from PLS. Team A 1D/20 @ A-45. (Adjusted for play originating at our mid-field: the 55.)