The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 09:16pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Penalty enforcement FED

First and 10

RB runs for three yards, right at the end of the run there is a 5 yard facemask penalty.

Question: After the penalty is enforced, is it 1st down and 2 or is it 2nd down and 2? Or neither? Why?

Thanks guys. Still trying to completely grasp penalty enforcement...it's not as easy as I once thought it was.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

The down is replayed whenever a penalty is accepted. (except for LOD fouls)
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

As with all penalties there is a choice, by the offended team. When you say, "at the end of the run" that could mean either a live ball foul, or a dead ball foul.

For a live ball Face mask, since the foul happened during the play, the impact of the penalty is considered part of the play. The live ball foul is administered from the end of the run, so A gained 3 yards on his own, and if A accepts the penalty they would get an additional 5 yards PLUS the down is repeated. Since it was 1st down, we repeat 1st down (have advanced 3 yards + the 5 yards of the penalty) and there is only 2 yards to go to the original Line to gain.

For a dead ball foul, since the foul happened after the play was over, the yardage situation is the same ( 3 yards gained + 5 additional yards for the penalty, but because the foul occurred AFTER the play was over, the penalty does not include repeating the down, so it's 2nd down and 2 yards to go to reach the original line to gain. The enforcement spot is the subsequent spot, the spot where the run ended, which in this case is also where the play ended and where the ball would otherwise next be put in play.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
First and 10

RB runs for three yards, right at the end of the run there is a 5 yard facemask penalty.

Question: After the penalty is enforced, is it 1st down and 2 or is it 2nd down and 2? Or neither? Why?

Thanks guys. Still trying to completely grasp penalty enforcement...it's not as easy as I once thought it was.
1st and 2.

After a liveball penalty is enforced the down will be the same as the down in which the penalty occured unless:

1. After penalty enforcement team A is in possession beyond the line-to-gain, then 1st down.
2. The penalty against team B includes an automatic 1st down, then 1st down.
3. The penalty against team A includes the loss of (the right to replay the) down, the down is next.
4. After enforcement of a liveball penalty on 4th down which includes the loss of down leaves team A behind the line to gain then B's ball 1st down.

Automatic 1st Down:
Pass Interference
Roughing: Snapper, Holder, Kicker, Passer

Loss of Down:
Illegal Forward Pass
Intentional Grounding
Pass Interference
Illegal Touching
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When you say, "at the end of the run" that could mean either a live ball foul, or a dead ball foul.
In the OP there was a 5 yard facemask.
Can this be a dead ball foul??
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
Why couldn't it be?
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

IMO, NO. after play is dead and someone touches a facemask we are going to have nothing unless it becomes somehow a dead ball personal foul for things getting a bit more out of hand than someone touching a facemask, that would normally be enforced as a 5 yd live ball foul. I can see what would normally be a 15 yd facemask penalty enforced as a dead ball PF if happened after the play is ended.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
IMO, NO. after play is dead and someone touches a facemask we are going to have nothing unless it becomes somehow a dead ball personal foul for things getting a bit more out of hand than someone touching a facemask, that would normally be enforced as a 5 yd live ball foul. I can see what would normally be a 15 yd facemask penalty enforced as a dead ball PF if happened after the play is ended.
Agree. 5-yd facemask is live-ball only, since the protection it affords exists only during a down.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
Although the original question wasn't specifically about a facemask foul, and in practice a 5 yard facemask foul would most normally apply to a live ball situation, there is absolutely nothing that restricts such a foul to live ball only.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

I agree with whitehat. There really shouldn't be anything "incidental" about grasping an opponent's face mask after the down.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Although the original question wasn't specifically about a facemask foul, and in practice a 5 yard facemask foul would most normally apply to a live ball situation, there is absolutely nothing that restricts such a foul to live ball only.
Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009 Rule Book
POINTS OF EMPHASIS

HELMET AND FACE MASK

p. 82-3: Similarly, the official should see and penalize incidental grasping when, for example,
a player momentarily grasps the mask, helmet opening or chin strap, but does not affect
the head or neck movement. “Incidental” means that something happened within the context
of a play, but has only minimal effect.
Since "a play" refers to either a loose-ball play or a running play, I think it follows that the 5-yard, "incidental" face mask foul can be called only during a live ball.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 09:05am
TODO: creative title here

I suppose "in theory", you could have a dead-ball 5-yard facemask penalty. However, "in practice", I don't think I'd ever call a 5-yard facemask as a dead-ball foul. It's hard to say that someone 'incidentally' grabbed an opponent's facemask when the ball is dead, so if it did happen I'd probably call either a PF or USC, depending on the context.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
I suppose "in theory", you could have a dead-ball 5-yard facemask penalty. However, "in practice", I don't think I'd ever call a 5-yard facemask as a dead-ball foul. It's hard to say that someone 'incidentally' grabbed an opponent's facemask when the ball is dead, so if it did happen I'd probably call either a PF or USC, depending on the context.
USC doesn't fit the bill since these are non-contact fouls.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Why on earth would you call a dead ball 5 yard facemask? If the ball is dead and an A player pushes a B player in the back are you going to call a block in the back? No, you should have nothing or a personal foul.

If a player is holding another players jersey after the ball is dead you wouldn't call dead ball holding. If the holding was severe enough and the player was tackled you would again have nothing or a dead ball PF.

Dead ball officiating is about safety. If something happens that is a danger to a player, call it a personal foul, otherwise let it go.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2009, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

well summarized Norcal!