The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Brandon Kincer
Penalty enforcement

Where can I find the rule as far enforcing a penalty simaltaneous with the snap or kick?
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

The rule is NF: 10.4.2.a. Rule 10 is a relatively short rule and should be read slowly, simultaneously with the Case Book.

There is a pretty extensive "Summary of Penalties" as appendix B in the Redding Study G to NFHS Rulesuide which you may find helpful.
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Thanks!
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

You are asking a lot of good questions, however IMO, you are far from ready to step on a varsity field,
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 04:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are asking a lot of good questions, however IMO, you are far from ready to step on a varsity field,
with all due respect sir, I don't think you know me well enough to determine thatnor do I think its your place. Just because im not sure of somethings doesn't mean im not ready. Ya gotta start somewhere and as a matter of fact new officials staer out on the middle school level amd I plan on learning by doing and taking what I can from that. So please refrain from trying to put me down when all im trying to do is answer a few questions. Thank you.

Last edited by Brandon Kincer; Mon May 11, 2009 at 04:11am.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Kincer View Post
with all due respect sir, I don't think you know me well enough to determine thatnor do I think its your place. Just because im not sure of somethings doesn't mean im not ready. Ya gotta start somewhere and as a matter of fact new officials staer out on the middle school level amd I plan on learning by doing and taking what I can from that. So please refrain from trying to put me down when all im trying to do is answer a few questions. Thank you.
Sorry dude, that's not how forums work. Everybody gets to post his or her opinion, no matter how idiotic. It's up to you to decide what's good, and to try to ignore the rest.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
It's up to you to decide what's good, and to try to ignore the rest.
Kind of like any advice you will be given from people. It is just more "anonymous" here.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Sorry dude, that's not how forums work. Everybody gets to post his or her opinion, no matter how idiotic. It's up to you to decide what's good, and to try to ignore the rest.
Are you implying my opinion was idiotic? His questions are good questions, but they are novice questions nonetheless. I would tell anyone with those questions that they need more experience. I apologize if my frame of reference is different from most. Where I officiate, inexperienced officials work their way up from youth to JV to Varsity.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Are you implying my opinion was idiotic? His questions are good questions, but they are novice questions nonetheless. I would tell anyone with those questions that they need more experience. I apologize if my frame of reference is different from most. Where I officiate, inexperienced officials work their way up from youth to JV to Varsity.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinoin, not matter how stupid it might be, right?

I know you weren't asking me but I do agree with you that some of his questions are basic questions. They are much like the questions I asked as a newly licensed official. I give this site (and a few others) credit for developing my knowledge of the rulebook at a much faster rate than I would have gotten on my own.

My story is that I was a Referee of my own crew at the start of my third year because I was tired of waiting, but I look back and wonder how badly I messed stuff up. Most new officials don't know how much they don't know and are anxious to work "meaningful" games.

I think we both agree that we are glad the poster is here asking them and I saw that encouragement in your post.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 11:01am
Chain of Fools

Brandon, do you have a set of rule books yet? If not, I'd suggest you ask someone in your HS league to see if they might donate you a set of last year's. While there are changes, both in the rules and editorially, the change is not so great that you couldn't utilize them. You can print off the synopsis of 2009 changes off the Federation website

I had a supervisor (in my day job) that absolutely refused to answer a question until he had determined that I had looked it up in the policy manual first.

Its great that you want to learn but you and your new association will be better served by getting in the rule book and looking it up first. If something confuses you then ask members of the association you are joining. Every officials association is going to have different takes on certain rules and you want to ensure that the interpretation you use is the one that your association wants-not what we discuss here or on the other boards.

Also I would order two supplemental guides- the Reddings NFHS Guide and the Fed's Rules by Topic. Redding';s is available from Honig's and the Rules by Topic guide can be had from Referee Magazine. Those two books are excellent study resources as they break the rule book down into a more mentally digestable format.

If you are new to NFHS rules, I'd shy away from the case book for awhile, unless you loved word problems in school or are a whiz with the Federal tax code.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Brandon, do you have a set of rule books yet? If not, I'd suggest you ask someone in your HS league to see if they might donate you a set of last year's. While there are changes, both in the rules and editorially, the change is not so great that you couldn't utilize them. You can print off the synopsis of 2009 changes off the Federation website

I had a supervisor (in my day job) that absolutely refused to answer a question until he had determined that I had looked it up in the policy manual first.

Its great that you want to learn but you and your new association will be better served by getting in the rule book and looking it up first. If something confuses you then ask members of the association you are joining. Every officials association is going to have different takes on certain rules and you want to ensure that the interpretation you use is the one that your association wants-not what we discuss here or on the other boards.

Also I would order two supplemental guides- the Reddings NFHS Guide and the Fed's Rules by Topic. Redding';s is available from Honig's and the Rules by Topic guide can be had from Referee Magazine. Those two books are excellent study resources as they break the rule book down into a more mentally digestable format.

If you are new to NFHS rules, I'd shy away from the case book for awhile, unless you loved word problems in school or are a whiz with the Federal tax code.
Yes sir, I have a 2008 rule book, 2008-09 officials manual, and 2008 case book. I study them hard every chance I get. My nose has been stuck in that book ever since I recieved them in the mail. Im not new to NFHS rules because the recreation dept. that I ref for uses that book. Im just trying to work through some loop holes and make sure that I understand the rules clearly. Up to this point, all of my questions have been pretty much answered.

Quote:
Just to make this clear, I do not think your opinion is in anyway idiotic. My point was you were saying that I am "Not Ready simply because I ask questions you consider to be "Novice" Some of the questions im asking I already know the answer to but just want to be sure that I am getting things right before I step up to the next level. Any piece of advice you can give me is greatly valued but I do ask that you do not cut me down just for asking questions, not necessarly that I don't know anything about, but that im just not clear on. Your comment of me being not ready was clearly nothing more than that of a cut down because you didn't even answer the question. You just simply stated that im "Not Ready"
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Kincer View Post
It is good that you ask questions and try to learn the game rules before stepping out on the field, in fact, keep asking because it makes veteran officials like myself think about what may have unfortunately become routine.

As for the level of game you work always look to the next level to determine what you need to do to reach that level. Personally, new officials who ask questions have all my support because they can be taught.

Best of luck to you.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 12:39pm
Archaic Power Monger

Brandon-

You will get there, keep studying, asking questions and seeking the right answers from a variety of sources.

My own advice is to get intimate with Rule 2. Understanding and being able to apply definitions will be key in learning and comprehending the remainder of the rule book.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Brandon,

I am not "cutting you down." You very well may be ready. Only those from your association who have observed you can know for sure. Based on the level of your questions I firmly believe that you need more work. As I said previously, in my organization the standards are high. Getting on the varsity field too soon can negatively affect an official's career. You and others may feel my criticism is harsh. So be it. You had best prepare for harsh criticism as you move up. Your questions tell me that you have potential. Keep it up.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Are you implying my opinion was idiotic?
No, not in what I said there.