View Single Post
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 11:01am
Chain of Fools

Brandon, do you have a set of rule books yet? If not, I'd suggest you ask someone in your HS league to see if they might donate you a set of last year's. While there are changes, both in the rules and editorially, the change is not so great that you couldn't utilize them. You can print off the synopsis of 2009 changes off the Federation website

I had a supervisor (in my day job) that absolutely refused to answer a question until he had determined that I had looked it up in the policy manual first.

Its great that you want to learn but you and your new association will be better served by getting in the rule book and looking it up first. If something confuses you then ask members of the association you are joining. Every officials association is going to have different takes on certain rules and you want to ensure that the interpretation you use is the one that your association wants-not what we discuss here or on the other boards.

Also I would order two supplemental guides- the Reddings NFHS Guide and the Fed's Rules by Topic. Redding';s is available from Honig's and the Rules by Topic guide can be had from Referee Magazine. Those two books are excellent study resources as they break the rule book down into a more mentally digestable format.

If you are new to NFHS rules, I'd shy away from the case book for awhile, unless you loved word problems in school or are a whiz with the Federal tax code.