The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

It ain't all bad...over 30% of the people responding to the Newsday site's poll think it was the right call (no call)
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike View Post
ANother story from newsday.com ( a "heads up play" ??????)

Kings Park player is toast of town for heads-up playBY GREGG SARRA | [email protected]
12:18 PM EDT, October 9, 2008

"The ref was standing right there. How could he not see [Kelly] throw the ball over his head. You can't even do that in a schoolyard with 10-year-olds. It was totally illegal. That's not a play, that's not real, no way."

It's very real
This is one of those plays that's easier to call from a distance than from on the field. At first, it looks like A might recover, but they held their whistles and the ball slips out. Then as the R closed in to see if B recovers the ball flew out of the pile. I think the either wing would have had a better look at it than the white hat.

This play could should have had a flag (which could have been picked up if needed) or a discussion after the play and a late flag -that wouldn't have been very good but it would be better than letting it stand.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Is this the Ed Hickland who frequents this board?
It is the same.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

And there is no linesman around that can help on this play????
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
It is the same.
Yes, it is. For various reasons cannot talk about it.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Stuff happens, Ed. 99.9% of the people who criticize officials don't have the b**** to put on the stripes and walk out on the field. This, too, shall pass.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Keep your head up Ed. Been there done that, it passes eventually.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

The Referee is right on top of this play. The ball is dead when the defender recovers the muffed snap. His toss over his head is a dead-ball delay-of-game foul. If one were to argue that the defender did not possess the ball at the time of the over-head toss, then you have an illegal-batting foul.

After the coach alerts the Referee, shouldn't the crew have gotten together and made the correct call? Bring back the ball to the recovery spot and put time on the clock, an untimed down for B on the a game-ending foul, or declare the game over. What a cluster@#&%!

I'm glad it didn't happen to me, but recall the football-official's adage: Learn from others' mistakes, because if you make them all yourself you won't be around too long.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

I had a play similar to this early this season. My play went like this:

Team A snaps from the A-1. The ball is muffed and is in the end zone. I am the R. A scramble for the ball. As I am moving into a position to see the ball it suddenly comes "spiraling" out backwards from near the ground up to a running back who runs it out of the end zone and is down at about the A-5. We didn't get any complaints about it, but the questions that I had were:

1. Was there a player on the ground who passed the ball? If so, the ball should have been dead. Myself and both wings discussed it and neither of us had a view of the player who caused the ball to come out.

2. Was the ball batted to the running back? If so we should have a flag. My thought was that it was not because I seen the spiral, so that indicated to me that a player had to have controlled it and then passed it.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

This is just one of those plays where it is split second and sometimes the brain does not react fast enough. I think that everyone who has ever put on a striped shirt and officiated a game will know that you can never get everything that happens on the field.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NFHS allows you to legally bat a loose ball forward?
REPLY: No Mike...in Fed you can never legally bat a grounded loose ball forward, i.e. toward your opponent's goal line.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 06:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M. View Post
REPLY: No Mike...in Fed you can never legally bat a grounded loose ball forward, i.e. toward your opponent's goal line.
It's easy to Monday-morning quarterback, but this kind of thing happens when you get too close to the play, as it appears the white hat is. Fumble doesn't mean "get as close to the ball as you possibly can."
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

It appeears that the white hat was within ten feet of the player who was on his knees when he tossed the ball. What was he looking at?
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
Around here I've never heard of a protest even being allowed. Game over.
This protest wasn't allowed either. It was a judgement call and it's not reviewable.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Coach Hoss called a quick kick to catch them off guard and I was going to toss it back to Corey," Boos said. "I fumbled it after the snap because I was trying to do it so fast.
You quick kick with 6 secs. left and an 8 pt. lead!!??? You deserve to lose for that reason alone! (Although the other team might not deserve to win.)